Where do you see prog metal and fans in 20+ years??

Inner Peace

New Metal Member
Oct 1, 2006
I wonder about this all the time. In 20 or more years when theres no more Vanden Plas, Pagan's Mind,etc........Will we hold them high like bands like Fates Warning and WatchTower? Back then there were very limited prog metal bands, now we are over whelmed with a ton of great prog/power bands. I guess my real question is do you think prog/power will continue or die? AND, will we still be here in our 40's, 50's, or even 60's continuing our dedication to the scene? Prog power would be run by Glenn's grand children and we will be hobbling around with our canes and walkers (like a scene from Cacoon) remembering when WE saw the Conception re-union show? Just a weird thought. I see myself NEVER EVER changing and putting on the Redemption "Fullness of Time", telling my grandchildren that it does'nt get any better than this :cool:

In their late 50's, still bitching about Metallica,the latest Evergrey album, and waiting for the Van Halen reunion.

I see it continuing as a very small niche genre, pretty much where it's at now. Prog will never be mainstream because the artists don't follow any sort of the typical melodic song structure and in a day and age where popular music just keeps getting simpler and simpler, that's assuring that Prog will remain underground.

I think of it (even now) as Metal's version of Jazz in that you have 1 or 2 artists that could be known by some very educated members of "the masses" but otherwise unknown.

As long as there are artists who enjoy noodling (and there always will be) then Prog will never die. It just won't ever get farther than "being".

The fans will always be there, just like the musicians. Some will always enjoy noodling and listening to the noodling.

I never put much thought into where I'd be (listening to music) when I was 18. and here I am 24 years later still listening to rock, metal and prog. Though I couldn't tell you if when I was 18 if Rush, Genesis, Yes or others were deemed Prog then- but I can say at 42 I have no plans of making any changes.

I don't think Prog music will ever hit the mainstream but as time goes on there are always the younger musicians who are influenced and will continue to make music and find new ways to change and restructure what has come before them.

I find it odd how a lot of people have infused prog and power in their statements, like they're interchangable and virtually identical types of sound.

Just for the record, they're not. :p

RJD was never prog metal...but he still does his best to hold onto the scepter of metaldom though.
In 20 yrs...hmm...who knows. l'm thinking Vandan Plas & Pagan's Mind will probably be afterthoughts. They just don't have the drawing power that would keep them in memory. The only prog metal band that will make it out of this era will be Dream Theater. They're somewhat older already, but still the most relevant band in prog now. And l'm sure they will be in the coming years. They have a following that is second to none in the prog metal genre. That kind of fanbase tends to carry a band through the years...even when they quit producing new material.

Seeing that Pagans Mind and Vanden Plas have released great material to date and there is more to come I think we will hold them very very high in the ranks. Symphony X of course will be legends and already are now one of the big boys. Dream Theater will always be looked at towards prog the way Maiden and Sabbath are looked at towards heavy metal on a whole. Fates Warning will be way up there with Dream Theater. Hopefully Circus Maximus keeps the ball rolling and puts out many more great albums.

RJD was never prog metal...but he still does his best to hold onto the scepter of metaldom though.
In 20 yrs...hmm...who knows. l'm thinking Vandan Plas & Pagan's Mind will probably be afterthoughts. They just don't have the drawing power that would keep them in memory. The only prog metal band that will make it out of this era will be Dream Theater. They're somewhat older already, but still the most relevant band in prog now. And l'm sure they will be in the coming years. They have a following that is second to none in the prog metal genre. That kind of fanbase tends to carry a band through the years...even when they quit producing new material.

Not to hijack the thread but, I'd say Rainbow had some prog elements.
Yeah DT sticks, and what about Rush? They've been around for more than 30 years already and have a highly anticipated disk coming out soon. I'd say they still are relevant and will continue to be.

Seeing that Pagans Mind and Vanden Plas have released great material to date and there is more to come I think we will hold them very very high in the ranks. Symphony X of course will be legends and already are now one of the big boys. Dream Theater will always be looked at towards prog the way Maiden and Sabbath are looked at towards heavy metal on a whole. Fates Warning will be way up there with Dream Theater. Hopefully Circus Maximus keeps the ball rolling and puts out many more great albums.

Bands like Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pagan's Mind, will all be considered essential artists within the genre for this era...

Not to hijack the thread but, I'd say Rainbow had some prog elements.
Yeah DT sticks, and what about Rush? They've been around for more than 30 years already and have a highly anticipated disk coming out soon. I'd say they still are relevant and will continue to be.

Rush is great case in point of how quality music holds up to the test of time, all truly great music, regardless of style will...

Metal has been underground for 35 years now, with a brief period when a small subgenre of metal made it to the top of the charts in the late 80s and helped lift all other metal bands' sales in the process.

I predict that 20 years from now, metal will be very different from today, but probably about as popular as it is now, although you can't rule out another sudden spike in mainstream popularity that'll last a few years.

The thing that gets me is that back in 1988 or so, I was listening to metal and was thinking how it could sound better. "Wouldn't it be cool if they used more keyboards? Wouldn't it be cool if they used an orchestra? Wouldn't it be cool if those fantasy lyrics actually had fantasy sounding music to go with it? Wouldn't it be cool if the damn drummer would speed up? Why is only the guitarist playing fast?"

Well, come 2000 a lot of people like me grew up and started bands and did change the sound in those ways, and many others. I'm wondering what today's young metal fans are thinking about when they listen to metal. What cool things are they thinking of that can be done to improve metal that we're going to see in 2020 and 2030?