Who are todays generation of heavy metal guitar heroes?

How bout this twosome!!!!!!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAf3gqdCrDs&feature=related[/ame]

Some people, I just don't get... Even Ace Frehley got mentioned? And we're talking about TODAY's GENERATION OF GUITAR HEROES? :lol: :lol:

Next thing we'll hear Jimmy Page and Hendrix being mentioned...

Yeah...l recognized the confusion hence my earlier post. And, l threw in Herman Li & the guy in Avenged Sevenfold ( idk his name) as more recent guitarwork that stands out to me.

Thanks for posting that. However, I have to admit, I still don't hear it. Perhaps it's a matter of context. Maybe when he first started doing what he does, it was new and bad ass, but by today's standards it's not? I've always thought the ZZ Top boys were kind of cool and was completely prepared to enjoy the music. But if I'm being honest, if I heard someone play that solo in a local tavern, I'd leave thinking he wasn't very good. I guess I just don't get it.

Zod

The skill there is adding the texture to it. Not in any crazy finger combination/speed. So like with your enjoyment of Jorn Viggo, his actual solos are not technically impressive, its likely how he plays them and adds texture to them that you enjoy. Same thing here. Same thing with a guy like BB King. Everybody plays the same damn 5 notes, some guys have a better sense of timing, pressure on the string, etc.

The skill there is adding the texture to it. Not in any crazy finger combination/speed. So like with your enjoyment of Jorn Viggo, his actual solos are not technically impressive, its likely how he plays them and adds texture to them that you enjoy. Same thing here. Same thing with a guy like BB King. Everybody plays the same damn 5 notes, some guys have a better sense of timing, pressure on the string, etc.
I totally get that. I listen to a number of Jazz and Blues players, whose play is quite understated. And I've actually never been a fan of speed playing, unless it works in the context of the solo. As I said, I'm just not hearing it. Which isn't to say it's not there, only that it's not resonating with me.

Zod

Theodore Ziras
Johnny Ohlin(dionysus)
Magnus Karlsson
Rob Marcello
Chris Broderick
Joel Gregoire(ex Stride)
Rafael Bittencourt
Kiko Loureirio
Rob Johnson (Magnitude 9)
Patrick Rondat
Magnus Nilsson (Richard Andersson Space Odyssey)
Olaf Lenk (At Vance)
Stephen Forte (Adagio)
Charley Corbiaux, Olivier Lapauze (Heavenly)
Vesa Nupponen (Excalion)
Chris Brooks
George Bellas
I know some are not like over the top amazing, but they play kick butt solos. I always wondered in my head like how much greater a band like Edguy would be if they had a really good guitar player, and not just an average one, because there songs are all so catchy and great, then you get to the solo, and your like eh, whatever change the track. Well, maybe that's just me but I love great guitar solos in my music thats why it's so hard for me to listen to Axel Rudi Pell. I have every ARP album, because I love Johnny Gioeli,Rob Rock,JSS whoever even Charlie, and his songs rock great riffs,chours, everything but the solos are the worst thing I have ever heard in my life! I can not believe how bad and Long they are in every song, oh well I really am a bad typer, and I can't even express how much I think he is the worst solo player down there with Kirk Hammett,and Herman Li(The Two Worst) too me anyway. so nobody please write me any angry letters saying whatever. ARP is better than them though because his songs still rock hard! But if anyone ask me why i think they are the two worst i will gladly tell u, just please don't cuss me out, it's just my opinion, and im nobody.

I actually got to meet Bob and Bruce kulick at a Kiss convention here in Atlanta back in '99, and if I remember correctly he stated that a majority of his work with Kiss began around the Alive II era. I may be wrong about that though. I know Ace played on the first Kiss albums, Hotter Than Hell being my fave. I know it was him on the Creatures album and not Ace at all. Everybody knows about Ace's drinking problems back in the day and that had a lot to do with having Bob play in his stead. When Ace's is sober though, I think he's stellar and very entertaining.:headbang:

You are correct sir. If you listen close you can tell when the solos are not Ace at all. Bob is pretty damn close when imitating. I believe the 4 the side to Alive II was all Bob except Rocket Ride. You can hear it a lot on Unmasked as well.

Tosin Abasi
Misha Mansoor

This.
And what Tycho said about Muhammed.
Throw in Jarzombek & Colin Marston.

But seriously, y'all.

In this thread: A bunch of old men talk about the musicians they think 20 year olds look up to. :)
Also, even considering the argument that there "aren't/won't-be any" is absurd.

This.

But seriously, y'all.

In this thread: A bunch of old men talk about the musicians they think 20 year olds look up to. :)

Well, some of us "old men" may talk about "old Men guitar players" but they are still good in their own right. Now their are some really awesome younger guitar players out there that the "20" year olds probably look up to. but i would venture to bet, that they also probably like and look up to some of the older ones also, like Page, Beck, Clapton, Santana, Townsend, Leifson, Howe, Tipton, Downing. Just my opinion.

Well, some of us "old men" may talk about "old Men guitar players" but they are still good in their own right. Now their are some really awesome younger guitar players out there that the "20" year olds probably look up to. but i would venture to bet, that they also probably like and look up to some of the older ones also, like Page, Beck, Clapton, Santana, Townsend, Leifson, Howe, Tipton, Downing. Just my opinion.

John, I agree with you. But the point is, according to my understanding, the idea of the thread was to talk about the guitar heroes of today, this generation's guitar gods, so to speak. I find it hard to agree that Page, Beck, Clapton, etc could be considered part of today's generation.

All of the ones you mentioned are great guitarists, though.

I'm not saying they're not good, John. I'm saying we're on a huge derail here...mainly because maybe 5% of this board can even legitimately try to answer the initial question.

Even if us younger folk worship those older guys (we do), it still doesn't answer the question.

The guy from Avenged Sevenfold
The guys from Protest the Hero
The dude in BTBAM
whoever in The Faceless

I'm not saying they're not good, John. I'm saying we're on a huge derail here...mainly because maybe 5% of this board can even legitimately try to answer the initial question.
I think you may be misinterpreting the OP's question. He wasn't asking the younger people on the board who they look up to, he was asking the entire board who the younger players are they look up to. In his initial post he wrote...

Thinking of all the bands that are out there from the 90's up until this very day who would you say are today's heavy metal guitar heroes?
He's asking the board to separate the guys like Loomis and Romeo from guys like Vai and Yngwie.

Zod

Even if us younger folk worship those older guys (we do), it still doesn't answer the question.

Your right. Sorry i read it wrong, but hey I am old.

My favorite "newer" guitarists (meaning having appeared since about 1995)

-"Lord" Tim Grose (Dungeon, lord)
-Gus G (Firewind)
-Nils Norberg (Nocturnal Rites)
-Tom S. Englund (Evergrey)
-Magnus Karlsson (Allen/Lande, etc)
-Jorn Viggo Lofstad (Pagan's Mind)
-Doug Aldrich (Dio, Whitesnake)

These are my favorite "Older" guitarists:
-Adrian Smith (Maiden)
-Criss Oliva (Savatage)
-John Sykes (Whitesnake, Blue Murder)
-Mark Reale (Riot)
-Gary Moore (Solo, Thin Lizzy)
-John Petrucci (Dream Theater)
-Roy Z (Bruce Dickinson, Halford, Rob Rock)
-Alex Skolnick (Savatage, Testament)
-Neil Schon (Journey)

Actually it was Vinnie Vincent who played on and wrote most of the songs on Creatures. Bob Kulick played on the "new" studio tracks on Alive II with the exception of Rocket Ride which was written and sung by Ace. He also played on the Killers compilation on the 4 new tracks.

I stand corrected. Turns out there were a lot more guitar players involved:
(from Wikipedia so take it as a grain of salt):
* Vinnie Vincent – lead guitar on "Saint and Sinner", "Keep Me Comin'", "I Love It Loud", "Killer", and "War Machine", backing vocals
* Bob Kulick – lead guitar on "Danger"
* Robben Ford – lead guitar on "Rock and Roll Hell" and "I Still Love You"
* Adam Mitchell – rhythm guitar on "Creatures of the Night"
* Steve Farris – lead guitar on "Creatures of the Night"
* Jimmy Haslip – bass guitar on "Danger"

This.

But seriously, y'all.

I don't think there are that many "new" guitar heroes. All the kids I talk to(I work with middle school ages, 11-14), who are into guitar, they are wearing Metallica shirts and stuff like that. I suppose you could say the new gen. of guitar heroes are Kirk Hammet, Herman Li, Jeff Loomis, STILL Eddie Van Halen, and Dimebag Darrell. Although, a lot of younger players are influenced by Yngwie, Maiden, Priest and the like. I have yet to ear any kid extolling the playing of Avenged Sevenfold, or Bullet For My Valentine, or Slipknot or Godsmack. Maybe it's just the area I reside in, i'm not to trying to make a generalization.

If I had to pick five, I'd say:

Jeff Loomis (the dude is a badass)
Emppu Vuorinen (I would love to meet him)
Michael Romeo (this is a given)
Jorn Viggo Lofstad (a personal favorite)
Jonathan Donias (Shadows Fall)

~Brian~

...I have to make a slight edit to my initial response and include Mr. Matt LePorte from Jon Oliva's Pain. He made some jaws drop during JOP's performace at PP IV. :headbang:

~Brian~