History of Power Metal article in Guitar World

mtlheart said:
Savatage - Hall of the Mountain King- Progressive Metal. Always were and probably always will be a Progressive Metal band.

I would consider this Power metal, their later catalogue (post gutter ballet) would be considered a bit more Progressive, I guess.

mtlheart said:
Iron Maiden - 7th Son of a 7th Son- Heavy Metal or more specifically NWOBHM... not Power.

I think this would fit more as a progressive album. DEFINITELY NOT NWOBHM.. their first two albums were NWOBHM. You should listen to a few NWOBHM to see how they sound like.. alittle more punk-y =]

mtlheart said:
Nightwish - Century Child- Gothic or arguably Progressive Gothic due to less aggressive male vocals common to "traditional" Gothic.

Definately not Goth. Definately not Prog. Keyboards does not equal progressive music :Spin:

If Iced Earth, Jag Panzer and Manticora are Power Metal then so are Dio, Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. It is mostly vocals what makes the power metal, so In Flames just doesn't fit. But you could argue that Bal Sagoth is power metal because their music is ver Rhasody-like.

I guess some think power metal is only speedy happy metal.

booB said:
I love Persuader, but they're Blind Guardian clones; if you were going to use this argument, you could have mentioned BG instead. ;) Although I think Persuader contains a fairly healthy serving of cheese, that has nothing to do with my point.

Persuader really don't sound anything like Blind Guardian unless we're talking about vocals only, and even then, Jens is much more aggressive sounding than Hansi (and I also don't think Hansi has done psudo-death/black vocals the way Jens does sometimes either). Im surprised to hear that you think Persuader is cheesy, since out of all the powermetal bands I listen to, they're one of the few that most people I know think are cheese-free.

Originally Posted by mtlheart
Metal to "empower" the listener? Empowered to do what? Ride unicorns into battle against dragons, and then celebrate victory by dancing with elves in the forest?

I'm sorry, not to disregard the rest of your post which was pretty good, but this is one of the funniest things I've read in a loooong time.

Ha ha ha .... who cares ? Some songs need strong lyrics and some can get by with pretty poor ones.

I am by all means an Acceptaholic but will admit "Losers and Winners" have some of the silliest lyrics in it I have ever heard, much less the homosexual and sexually ambiguous lyrics they have written.
"Write a Letter !!" won't win phrase of the decade, but the band still kicked mucho ass. Expression, originality, and power among other things made Accept a great band though many of their lyrics were pretty bad.

Bryant

booB said:
I guess some think power metal is only speedy happy metal.

That was my whole point too. I'm glad we're in agreement. :)

Unfortunately many people do feel that way. They have no idea that bands like Angel Dust and Tad Morose exist. Many also think Metal Church was/is a thrash band.

Bryant

While I generally look at things as just being good music or not, there are definitely genres that are pretty strict. I don't know if I can really give an in depth description, but some things are simply power metal and some simply aren't.

Iron Maiden I would call, heavy or traditional metal. They could be possibly called the power metal before there was power metal, since they do have some similarities with power metal.

In Flames, however, I don't see at all. The only similarity they have with power metal is heavily harmonized guitars. They are melo-death.....taking the death metal style, and mellowing it out abit and adding more melody. It's hardly a mix of power metal with death vocals.....the music is much heavier than any power metal as a whole, with the guitars, the drums, etc. Showing the death metal influence.

Bryant said:
Ha ha ha .... who cares ? Some songs need strong lyrics and some can get by with pretty poor ones.

I am by all means an Acceptaholic but will admit "Losers and Winners" have some of the silliest lyrics in it I have ever heard, much less the homosexual and sexually ambiguous lyrics they have written.
"Write a Letter !!" won't win phrase of the decade, but the band still kicked mucho ass. Expression, originality, and power among other things made Accept a great band though many of their lyrics were pretty bad.

Preachin' to the choir. :)

Your friendly neighborhood Kiss fan,
Shaye

This thread has gotten totally out of control. I think we should just agree that good music is good music regardless of the genre. I mean if Pink Cream and Orphaned Land dont fit either Prog or Power what are they doing playing ProgPower, Ill tell you what because they are good fucking metal and thats the bottom line because the Stoink said so. (Chugs several beers at once and then throws them into the crowd after pounding them on my head).

dargormudshark said:
Where does Progressive Power metal all into..Prog or Power :tickled: :confused:

this thread is going to be huge

I imagine a lot of the bands with this label are either more on the prog side or more on the power side. But Prog-Power is fine.

Bryant said:

Bryant
I'm not big on lyrics ... If they're good, fine, but, as I so often say: Lame lyrics can't ruin a great song; Great lyrics can't save a lame song. As long as the lame lyrics are well sung ... ! :headbang: