Who will be the band this year to impress the most?

On a larger scale I think Nocturnal Rites and Delain will bring the house down. I am 100% expecting this. No doubt.

On a slightly smaller scale I think Seventh Wonder should be able to win over quite a few fans...they've won be over with their CD's... looking forward to what they can do live!

Very true.....as does VP. That is definitely a huge part of it. If you have a driving rhythm and a charasmatic frontman, you have a great winning combo for a live metal band regardless of the sub-genre. I think that applies to prog-power-thrash-whatever.....

Bryant

I don't know about Vanden Plas since I didnt' see them, but you also have to figure in Pagan's Mind case they have a charismatic frontman in Nils. I think that has a big part of it as well.

I'm biased but my vote is for Tarot....I support my favorite guys against any other band....I hope they impress the pants off everybody so they become better known here.

The way I see it, after floating under the radar for so long Seventh Wonder is gonna go all out and tear the place apart. Glenn himself will not be able to contain himself and start the pits.

Yeah, this topic is about what band will "impress"...and not necessarily "surprise."

Oceans of Sadness--love these guys, and in some ways I agree with Zod. They are not built to destroy. However, if people who don't like growls would still keep minds open, they have just as much potential to impress you as Riverside. And if Riverside didn't impress you, and what you may have heard of OoS doesn't....then...lost cause, oh well.

I think we know Accept will bring it. All reviews from other festivals have shown us that these guys are still on their game. I'm gonna headband like a madman to some classic tunes.

Seventh Wonder will be added into the pantheon of Circus Maximus and Pagan's Mind as a prog band that is unknown in the US that destroys ProgPower, becomes uber-popular in our circle, yet still unfortunately stays unknown in the US.

Tyr will kick ass. Their live set has gotten several times more exciting since their US debut on the first Paganfest tour.

And we all talk about middle bands, but I think this year has two headliners that no one should miss. Kamelot is one of the classiest metal bands of all time, and even for those of us who have seen them multiple times, they will still be impressive. Plus, new material! Hello? And Hammerfall may be 3 albums past their best material, but they still know how to bring it live. Expect lots of clapping, fist pumping, choruses, and just overall power metal crowd involvement. They will bring the house down to close the fest on an exciting note.