WOLFMOTHER...The Quill... Damone

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
After much hype on the Sludge forum and then some of it bleeding into this forum, I figured I had to pick up the disc on the way home from a class...
I picked it up and cracked it open. Nice. This band is a throw back! Also when I arrived home there was a adavnce copy of this band called The Quill the record is entitled In Triumph. These fuckers are the shit. They combine classic rock, stoner, doom and hard rock all in one...
Also picked up this record by this "poppy" rock band Damone-Out Here All Night. They are a nice change of pace, they cover Maiden's "Wasted Years." They did a hell of a job with the arrangement!

Wolfmother is pretty goood. Sounds like a late 60's band imo
never heard of the other bands.

sixxswine said:
After much hype on the Sludge forum and then some of it bleeding into this forum, I figured I had to pick up the disc on the way home from a class...
I picked it up and cracked it open. Nice. This band is a throw back! Also when I arrived home there was a adavnce copy of this band called The Quill the record is entitled In Triumph. These fuckers are the shit. They combine classic rock, stoner, doom and hard rock all in one...
Also picked up this record by this "poppy" rock band Damone-Out Here All Night. They are a nice change of pace, they cover Maiden's "Wasted Years." They did a hell of a job with the arrangement!

Sounds interesting SiXX. Give the latest Wolverine album called "Still" a try, you might like it. :)

The Quill rule. I have three of their records....all kick total ass. Imagine a mix of Soundgarden, classic Deep Purple (the Quill's debut utilizes some heavy organ) and Jake E Lee's awesome band, Badlands.

Awesome rockin band with fantastic vocals!:headbang:

The Quill are great. I like how the singer sounds alot like Ray Gillen (R.I.P.)

I heard Wolf Mother, they sound very retro. They have a nice CD cover.

I'll have to check out Damone. I wonder if they got the name Damone from the ticket scalping character from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

I heard Wolfmother for the first time yesterday. Sampled the whole album. Good, and even great in places. Kind of like Queens of the Stoneage with much more of a Zeppelin inlfuence, and with a singer more like....oh, I don't know......just not Robert Plantish though. Maybe more like the 70s so-called corporate bands ala Kansas, Styx, etc. That doesn't cover it though, because it has more balls than that. I think I'll probably buy it.

I was on a flight leaving San Francisco that Damone was also on about 2 weeks ago! Had no idea who they were, but they definately looked like a band (or wanna-be band at least). I saw them getting all their equipment out of baggage claim with "damone" stamped on it. They were riding coach, so I guess they haven't hit it too big yet :)

ElectricWiz said:
I heard Wolfmother for the first time yesterday. Sampled the whole album. Good, and even great in places. Kind of like Queens of the Stoneage with much more of a Zeppelin inlfuence, and with a singer more like....oh, I don't know......just not Robert Plantish though. Maybe more like the 70s so-called corporate bands ala Kansas, Styx, etc. That doesn't cover it though, because it has more balls than that. I think I'll probably buy it.

It may be just my ears, but the vocalist annoys me in much the same way as the vocalist for The Darkness. I can't put a finer point on it than that -- just how he struck me.

wdiv said:
I was on a flight leaving San Francisco that Damone was also on about 2 weeks ago! Had no idea who they were, but they definately looked like a band (or wanna-be band at least). I saw them getting all their equipment out of baggage claim with "damone" stamped on it. They were riding coach, so I guess they haven't hit it too big yet :)

No they aren't big yet, they have opened for Butch Walker among others...
And to answer the other dude's question, the name is taken from the Fast Times character...

Didn't like Wolfmother at first but it has grown on me, might even go to see them live. Rockin' tunes, nothing amazing though. Just solid grooves and shit.