X JAPAN

Playing LOLLAPALOOZA this year on the main stage @ Grant Park in Chicago.
August 6 through August 8

I know there are some fans here.

Never listened to them before, but after listening to a sample not bad. As for Lolla, it's usually the headliners that make or break it for me.

I'm there already, I wonder why they choose this festival, isn't that festival geared towards the Industrial and alternative crowd? Anyways, I'm still stoked and will definitely be there for this event as X is one of my top 5 bands.

I'm there already, I wonder why they choose this festival, isn't that festival geared towards the Industrial and alternative crowd? Anyways, I'm still stoked and will definitely be there for this event as X is one of my top 5 bands.

It's a pretty eclectic crowd, but yes the alternative crowd for the most part. Not so much industrial though, outside of when they had NIN and Ministry. I can actually see them fitting in here though for some reason.

I never been to the new version of Lollapalooza. Seems like a complete circus.
I can't imagine being packed in with all those people in Grant Park.

Lolla has had some VERY weird lineups. I mean Kanye West performed a couple years ago.

Its mostly indie rock, throwback bands, and if there is metal, it will be "hipster" metal at best.

Well, considering they will probably get a 20 minute slot, I doubt it.

Let's face it. I seriously doubt they are landing a main stage headlining slot on this thing.

Playing LOLLAPALOOZA this year on the main stage @ Grant Park in Chicago.
August 6 through August 8

I swear to you that I didn't know this festival was even still around! I thought it fizzled out years ago, along with the alternative music scene. I do remember Metallica playing Lollapalooza back in the 90s, as well as Snoop Dog. :rolleyes:

~Brian~

Yeah, it is once a year now ,in Chicago only.
It doesn't tour anymore.

I saw some now legendary bands over the years at Lolla.
Good times. It was a very well run festival, regardless of what some might think of the artists involved.

Well, considering they will probably get a 20 minute slot, I doubt it.

Let's face it. I seriously doubt they are landing a main stage headlining slot on this thing.

No, no, no. They'll get more than that. It's not like Ozzfest. Most bands at Lolla tend to get 45 minutes or an hour. More obviously if they're a headliner.

I like Lolla. I've been the last three years and it's a well organized show. A lot of variety. Not so much metal but there are exceptions. The only problem with Lolla is they have problems with crowd control during some of the headliners. I left early a couple of years ago because Rage Against the Machine was stopping after almost every song due to the crowd getting too crazy towards the front. Usually if you're mid-farther back it's good.

I saw Rage at Lolla in like 92 or 93.
I think they were the same year as Tool, Alice in Chains, Primus, Dinosaur Jr, etc.

The best Lolla performance ever was Ministry (The year Red Hot Chili Peppers headlined). While I am not the biggest fan, Soundgarden were pretty good that year. People were going nuts for them.

But recently its more indie and dj and that stuff right? I know Depeche Mode played last year, which I thought was cool. And this year bands like Muse and Bowie are rumored to perform. Even if X doesn't get the headlining spot, I'll go in support. Obviously we wont get the half hour sing-a-long version of Endless Rain, and most of the solo spots but as long as they play and focus more on the fast paced stuff, and not as much in the ballads (which I love) it should be great. Hopefully Yoshiki decides not to act like a drama queen and throws himself onto his drum set, that would take the whole show.

When do they usually announce/confirm the lineups?

Well I think it's pretty obvious that I'll be there! :) As far as I know, the band hasn't released an official announcement confirming their plans yet. During their video shoot in Hollywood last month, this rumor started but it was never confirmed. Last week at the Grammys, apparently the correspondent of a Japanese news channel got Yoshiki to "confirm" the Lolla show. So.... who knows, really.

On a related note, you guys will really like this band too: Seikima II (who are headlining this year's A-Kon convention in Dallas! First show since 1999, first in the U.S.!)

Last edited by a moderator:
But recently its more indie and dj and that stuff right? I know Depeche Mode played last year, which I thought was cool. And this year bands like Muse and Bowie are rumored to perform. Even if X doesn't get the headlining spot, I'll go in support. Obviously we wont get the half hour sing-a-long version of Endless Rain, and most of the solo spots but as long as they play and focus more on the fast paced stuff, and not as much in the ballads (which I love) it should be great. Hopefully Yoshiki decides not to act like a drama queen and throws himself onto his drum set, that would take the whole show.

When do they usually announce/confirm the lineups?

They're broadening the show now. I don't think you can say it showcases more of any type of music really. There isn't that much metal but there's a lot of hard rock/alternative stuff. Last year I know there were a lot of throwback classic rock bands and Tool and Coheed and Cambria were there as well. As far as when the lineups get announced, from what I heard it will be towards the end of the month.