XTC

ProgMetalFan

In the attic
Jan 3, 2002
PITTSBURGH
Any XTC fans here?

I've just been checking them out lately... listened to a bunch of their singles from over their career...

XTC is one of those artists whose name I've seen over and over again... referenced in reviews... one of those guys did the strings for a Porcupine Tree song... and they seem to have been rather widely respected and influential.

They had a long career... of the songs I've listened to... I'm not really into their early stuff... I prefer their late 80s / early 90s stuff... where the songs have a fuller sound. This period seems to have a lush atmosphere yet an irrepressible energy. I also like that they seemed to put a lot of work into the vocal arrangements. My favorite songs so far are "Mayor of Simpleton", "King for a Day", "The Disappointed", "Dear God", and "Wrapped In Grey"... where the vocalist reminds me of a cross between Roland Orzabel and Gavin Hayes.

Can't say I've heard much of their stuff but "Dear God", "Making Plans for Nigel" and "Senses Working Overtime" are great songs.