Your current favorite purchase of a 2004 album

Abryl said:
Fangface explained it pretty well :) I think the album sounds "fresh" to say the least. Good songwriting, good riffs, good singing. The more I listen to it, the more I like it :cool:
Yea I saw that. Sound like a good album. Another one to check out. So many good albums, so little time. :D

I know some guys who don't like Hammerfall and they liked the Cans album nevertheless :)
As Abryl said I also think it's one of these "fresh" new Heavy Metal albums, just like Wolf.

Fangface said:
I know some guys who don't like Hammerfall and they liked the Cans album nevertheless :)
As Abryl said I also think it's one of these "fresh" new Heavy Metal albums, just like Wolf.
Wolf is still kicking my butt! :p

Bryant said:
Wolf is a kick-ass band. I have a few mp3s from the new one and a purchase will be made. I really like what I hear so far.

Bryant
As I was ordering my CD collection after the trip putting everything in alphabetical and chronological order. Wolf of course is towards the end, and when I was putting the CDs on the shelve, I was like: I fucking love this band! This is the best album of 2004 ("Evil Star").

This is the year of the Wolf:devil:

I just bought my new favorite album of 2004 today! Motorhead-Inferno!!! Very cool album! It's just another Motorhead album, but when was that ever a bad thing? If you like Motorhead, you'll love this one. My top 2004 album so far.

I have to add Scorpions-Unbreakable
to my list, this record has grabbed my by the sack!
While, it's not a classic, it has very little filler in it.
And the more I listen to it the better it gets...
Do you think it's because they've released such stinkers in the last Decade?!

sixxswine said:
I have to add Scorpions-Unbreakable
to my list, this record has grabbed my by the sack!
While, it's not a classic, it has very little filler in it.
And the more I listen to it the better it gets...
Do you think it's because they've released such stinkers in the last Decade?!

I also just bought this one at Wal-Mart recently :headbang: :headbang: and it is surprisingly good. I heard a couple of tracks on the import version ahead of the U.S. release, and it definitely is pretty darn good, so far.

As I hardly buy any new metal albums anymore, there isn´t much to choose from. So it´s got to be the new Nightwish album "Once". I got it just about a week ago and it´s really NEW!

Even though I can already say that "Oceanborn" will continue to be my favourite Nightwish album (especially, but not only because of "The Pharaoh Sails To Orion" and "Walking In The Air"), I can also say that I already like "Once" definitely better than its predecessor, and after a few more spins I might also prefer it to "Wishmaster" and "Angels Fall First".

The fact that "Once" entered the German charts at no. 1 and immediately went gold (for the first time in Germany) might (mis-)lead one into thinking they´ve turned completely mainstream now, but IMO this is not the case. Well, their first single "Nemo" is probably a rather commercial song, but "Once" also features the heaviest guitar sound on any Nightwish album so far (listen to "Dark Chest Of Wonders", "Wish I Had An Angel", "Planet Hell", "Romanticide") and "Creek Mary´s Blood" - yes, it´s the song featuring native American John Two-Hawks - is probably their least commercial/most unexpected song (and my favourite one on "Once" so far). While I do like the first eight songs on "Once" very much (well, maybe except for "Nemo"), I´m not really impressed by the last three songs. The 10-minute-piece "Ghost Love Score" has some nice parts, but it´s nothing extraordinary and so far it hasn´t really clicked - it even ends with a fader! :mad: The ballad "Kuolema Tekee Taitelijan" is absolutely no match for "Walking In The Air":worship: and "Sleeping Sun" :worship: , and the final song "Higher Than Hope" just bores me. To avoid any wrong impression: In spite of the - IMO - somewhat disappointing ending, I do not regret having bought this album :) and I don´t expect there will be many more new metal releases this year which I will like as much or even more!

Thanks for the review Burk. I'm also very dissapointed with 'Nemo' MP3 and video, reminds a lot of Lacuna Coil (whihc I like, but I don't need Nightwish to clone it). I miss the heavy sound of "Wishmaster" and I don't like Marco being given so much vocal space (I like him in Tarot better). To me Nightwish is about hearing Tarja in a Euro power metal basis, and this symphonic thing is getting on my nerves.
Agree also that nothing tops 'Walking On The Air' and 'Sleeping Sun' which makes me thing that even with the godd review on the guitar you gave Nightwish is loosing fuel :(

Wyvern said:
Thanks for the review Burk. I'm also very dissapointed with 'Nemo' MP3 and video, reminds a lot of Lacuna Coil (whihc I like, but I don't need Nightwish to clone it). I miss the heavy sound of "Wishmaster" and I don't like Marco being given so much vocal space (I like him in Tarot better). To me Nightwish is about hearing Tarja in a Euro power metal basis, and this symphonic thing is getting on my nerves.
Agree also that nothing tops 'Walking On The Air' and 'Sleeping Sun' which makes me thing that even with the godd review on the guitar you gave Nightwish is loosing fuel :(
Even though I like Marco´s voice (luckily he doesn´t spoil the songs with some monotonous and annoying grunting/growling!), I would prefer to hear more of Tarja´s voice, which seems to be even less present on the new album, maybe partly due to the orchestra arrangements which sometimes seem to sort of overshadow her voice and also because she sounds even less opera-like than before.

Have you ever heard of or anything by the Austrian band Dreams Of Sanity? They already split up some years ago, but their vocalist Sandra Schleret now sings in a German band called Soulslide. I´m not 100% sure, but you might like them. I´ve only heard one song so far - "The Dreamer" from their 4-song-EP -, which I downloaded from their website. I don´t know if you should call it power metal, but it´s pretty heavy and Sandra also does have a powerful voice. (No, she does not sound like a Tarja-clone.) Just in case you are curious, go to www.soulslide.net/index2.htm, click on "STUFF" and then on "FILES". I already ordered their EP, but I haven´t received it yet. By the way, they even have got a Spanish forum on their website! (But it looks still rather deserted.)

Finally, here´s a link to a website where you might find something of interest to you (but perhaps it´s already old news to you): www.soniccathedral.com. If I´m not completely wrong, you also listen to a few female-fronted bands every now and then, don´t you? I will definitely visit this place more than once in the future.

Thanks for the hints, I am a lot into female fronted metal bands. But I like them when they sing as...females :lol: Which totally annoys me in Arch Enemy (well I didn't like Jon Liiva much, but he was better :p), also when the male vocals try to growl in opposition to the female one (Lacuna Coil luckily has progress and Andreas vocals are cleaner), but After Forever and Epica didn't grab me for that reason. On the other hand Forgotten Tales is too "flowery" and even if the vocals are good the music is too "sweet", I rather stick with stuff like Moon Of Steel - "Insignificant Details", Mastermind - "Angels Of The Apocalypse", Black Widow - "Satan's Playground".

In any case I'll check your recommendations, thanks a lot ;)