Your opinion on these...

For the pick noise, maybe try a de-esser on the tracks. It's so crazy it just might work!

Actually, I use it for reducing hi-hat noise from time to time, so maybe...

With the Waves De-Esser plugin, you would change the Sidechain mode to Bandpass, monitor the Sidechain (instead of the Output), then fish around for the most offensive frequency area of the pick attack. When you find something, switch the Monitor back to Output and play around with the Threshold to detenuate the peaks of the pick attack.

That's just from memory, but it should be in the ballpark at least.

Here's a link to Andy's C4 setting:

http://www.andysneap.com/content/news_07102003.html

I've actually used Andy's C4 setting on whole mixes. It can really help to tighten up boomy low end in general.

I'm not sure it that's the Author's recommendation, however. Haha.

On mixes and guitar tracks, I do tweak the settings a bit. Mainly just fine-tune the Threshold and the Range to the track and switch to Opto mode.

Somehow I've gotten it into my head over the years that, with the Waves plugs, Opto is "tighter" and Electro is "warmer." Not sure if that's true or not, but in my plugin placebo worldview, I prefer the low end to be tighter rather than warmer. The same preference goes for sheep.

Um, yeah. So... I'd love to hear if anyone else has variations on THE C4 PRESET. (I think it should be proclaimed in all caps henceforth.)

I may be wrong, but I guess Andy uses this setting on his Master output. My theory to explain the reasoning of my arguments is: Andy uses Yamaha NS10 monitors and NS10 are known to be mid-range excentric...I suppose he uses this plugin to compress a bit the mid-range to decompensate the excesses...but as I say, I may be very wrong and haven't read this anywhere :)

I use it in my recordings in the Master Stereo Output of Cubase SX chained with Waves L2 and some EQ plugins :)