You're in the army now.

drevil_million_dollars.jpg

Not really envying you, but someone must secure the Schengen border :heh:
How long is military service in Finland?

Good luck!

Come on get that beard off!!!!

Best of luck with military service. Gotta admire anyone who goes to serve their country. I really think we should bring back national service in the UK. not just the army but police, health service and local councils. Would teach the stoner dolite population some respect and responsibility!!!

In theory it's not compulsory at all. In theory.

Basically, in Finland, you've got three choices: going to army for 6, 9 or 12 months (depends on what you do there, naturally I'm aiming for six months :)), go to civil service for 12 months (a non-paid, public job at a library, elder home, etc, normal eight hour days) or go to jail for a year thus making you a 'total decliner'. At first I chose the civil service 'cause I found the idea of getting bossed around and not being able to spend time with my hobbies or... well, anything but the military. Then, when my assignment date came closer, I found out it all seemed fine and dandy on paper but in reality I would have lost my flat and would've had to move to somewhere fucking far away from everything. All the places near my home (in about 200km radius) I rang to laughed at my face when I mentioned the words 'civil service', so I thought what the hell, let's just get it over with and join the forces :)

In theory it's not compulsory at all. In theory.

Basically, in Finland, you've got three choices: going to army for 6, 9 or 12 months (depends on what you do there, naturally I'm aiming for six months :)), go to civil service for 12 months (a non-paid, public job at a library, elder home, etc, normal eight hour days) or go to jail for a year thus making you a 'total decliner'. At first I chose the civil service 'cause I found the idea of getting bossed around and not being able to spend time with my hobbies or... well, anything but the military. Then, when my assignment date came closer, I found out it all seemed fine and dandy on paper but in reality I would have lost my flat and would've had to move to somewhere fucking far away from everything. All the places near my home (in about 200km radius) I rang to laughed at my face when I mentioned the words 'civil service', so I thought what the hell, let's just get it over with and join the forces :)

that sounds pretty lame.

There's always the option of getting "c"-papers as I did. :heh:
Relieved from duty during time of peace or something to that effect.

Downside of this is the chronic disease I have (that got me the c-papers) ... :ill: