I am in the Army now...

roamer said:
I signed a contract for 5 years of military service today and was sworn in. I ship out on October 25. My job is going to be "Crypto Linguist/Analyst", which basically means I will be in training for a long time, right up to the point that I won't be allowed to talk about it anymore. Don't know when I will be able to make it to PP again, but hopefully I will manage to get some leave for early fall every year. Hope to see you all sometime later.
-Adam-

Hey there. Nice to see there are other metal heads in this forum that are in the military. I am in service myself and I am right now in Kuwait which is my reason for missing this years progpower. Thats ok though Because i'm gonna make up for all the metal i am missing out on by going to Wacken open air 2006. Joining the Military doesn't make you any less metal at all and won't change you. It's a good thing that will benefit you in the long run.

By the way here are some pointer's and tips for when you enter bootcamp to help you make your time easier and less hard......

- Start running at least 20 minutes a day
- practice doing push ups and sit ups and other physical exercises
- Get used to only sleeping for only 3-6 hours maximum
- get used to waking up at 4 am in the morning everday
- Get used to waiting/standing around for long periods of time
- Practice eating fast meals because on your 1st week every meal you get will only last you for about 2-3 minutes maximum
- Don't do anything to draw attention to yourself from the Drill Sergeant
- Be prepared to get yelled/cursed out.
- When told to do something try your best to do it right the 1st time.
- Be prepared to face alot of mind games that the Drill Sergeants will play.

hope you don't have your basic training in South Carolina....if you do...sorry! Watch your paperwork and any GI Bills or bonus enlistments you have. Check with your enlisting officer soon after getting to basic. I speak from experience as I was screwed by US Army it all involved incorrect paperwork on the part of the elisting officer and I lost my GI Bill.. and you can't sue Uncle Sam!

Thank you...be safe...take care..and try to keep in touch! :wave:

JosephAcevedo said:
- Be prepared to get yelled/cursed out.
-
- Be prepared to face alot of mind games that the Drill Sergeants will play.

It's my understanding that a lot of this has changed. There isn't as much cursing and berating as when I was enlisted (1982-1988) I've also been told the PT training isn't as strenious as it used to be...and that new recruits have 'time out' cards if the "shit" gets toooooo bad/hard/difficult/strenious for them. This info may be incorrect so don't hold me to it.

kittybeast said:
It's my understanding that a lot of this has changed. There isn't as much cursing and berating as when I was enlisted (1982-1988) I've also been told the PT training isn't as strenious as it used to be...and that new recruits have 'time out' cards if the "shit" gets toooooo bad/hard/difficult/strenious for them. This info may be incorrect so don't hold me to it.

I well I didn't go to deathcamp at that time period so i can't say i know what your experience was like. When I went (which was like 2 years ago, they had Drill Sergeants sometimes slap/hit the trainee's) which technicaly they aren't supposed but nobody say anything. They still barate/cursed when i was there as well. About those "time out" cards..... They didn't have them when i went. If stuff got too stressful/difficult all they do was send the trainee's to speak with chaplains.

JosephAcevedo said:
I well I didn't go to deathcamp at that time period so i can't say i know what your experience was like. When I went (which was like 2 years ago, they had Drill Sergeants sometimes slap/hit the trainee's) which technicaly they aren't supposed but nobody say anything. They still barate/cursed when i was there as well. About those "time out" cards..... They didn't have them when i went. If stuff got too stressful/difficult all they do was send the trainee's to speak with chaplains.

well basic is over for you.... I was the difficult one...not the DI's :tickled:

I've been a close friend of Adam for the last 7 years, and he is the kind of person that thrives off of challenges and pushing himself to the limit both physically and mentally. More than anyone I've ever known Adam lives for the adrenaline rush of being pushed to and past his max physically. He will do great, and I can't imagine Boot Camp being too difficult for him. The Army seems like a perfect fit for him.

Adam is the person that introduced me to metal, and as I'm sure he knows, will always have a friend and a place to stay where ever I am.
He created a monster :headbang: .

Robin

kittybeast said:

I doubt it. When I went to basic training in 1990 I heard the same thing. I think it's basically one of those "Well when I was your age I walked 5 miles to school" things...

Yeah, the physical contact is probably pretty minimal and some of the 'berating' is probably a little more in check, but there'll still be oodles of in-your-face screaming and head trips and such.

Good luck to you Roamer ! A special thanx for making PP6 possible for me by meeting up w/me in Union City. I hope to see you again at an upcoming show. Take care of yourself.

My first encounter with a DI was a slap to the face because i wan't fast enough, slapping shoving hitting as a way of life for DIs back then (71) running?????? yeah everywhere we went and back again. 2-3 hours sleep??? what was that, and the food sucked, after the first 10 years it go alot better. I will say it does build character, and a sense of pride in yourself, and it tends to bring out a oerson you never knew exsisted. I beleive it made me the person i am today and i will always look back on it with pride and with a sense of i am glad i did it.

Pyramaze51 said:
I will say it does build character, and a sense of pride in yourself, and it tends to bring out a oerson you never knew exsisted.

sort of like when Grandma kicked your ass, huh?! not a damn thing you could do about it! :tickled:

Bryan316 said:
HOOOAAAH? That's the Marine Corp, maggot!

RLeeErmey4.jpg

Heh heh.... the Gunney rules...

You beat me to it. I take offense being a former army man when someone compares us to the jarheads.:err:

The units in the army I was in always used the hoooahh thing. Hell, I had a sergeant major that pretty much had a 5 word vocabulary-- and that was the most used.

Question: Hoooahh?
Answer: Hoooahhh!
His answer: Hoooahh, hoooahh.

kittybeast said:
sort of like when Grandma kicked your ass, huh?! not a damn thing you could do about it! :tickled:
You got that right. You had to just stand there with no expression on your face blood running down your chin and say "YES DRILL SERGEANT" and carry on, and don't run tell your mommy cause there ain't nothing she can do. Granted it's alot better today, in some ways, but some of the changes suck. So here i am today a better man and person and father due to a DI who saw something in me and drew it out.

John
CW4 (Chief Warrant Officer)
US ARMY RETIRED (and loving it) :headbang: :hotjump: