I am in the Army now...

roamer

Feb 11, 2002
Atlanta
Visit site
I signed a contract for 5 years of military service today and was sworn in. I ship out on October 25. My job is going to be "Crypto Linguist/Analyst", which basically means I will be in training for a long time, right up to the point that I won't be allowed to talk about it anymore. Don't know when I will be able to make it to PP again, but hopefully I will manage to get some leave for early fall every year. Hope to see you all sometime later.
-Adam-

it's only life right?
I take it they didn't have to question you on your top secret security clearance papers?

I hope learning about the cryptological stuff is fun to learn, codebreaking always is, despite the DMCA making it illegal to attempt it at all.

There'll be a spot for you at PP, naturally!

Good Luck ADAM, being a retired US ARMY Warrant Officer if there is any help i can give you just let me know. PM me and i will give you info on contacting me if you have any questions, but first let me say I am proud of you, you will have my support for as long as you are in. I respect anyone who is willing to as they say but their life on the line. Take care of yourself, and HOOOOOOOAAAAHHHH. And also stay in touch.

John

HOOOAAAH? That's the Marine Corp, maggot!

RLeeErmey4.jpg

Heh heh.... the Gunney rules...

Bryan316 said:
HOOOAAAH? That's the Marine Corp, maggot!

RLeeErmey4.jpg

Heh heh.... the Gunney rules...
LOVE THE GUNNEY, there are some ARMY units that say that also, why??? you got me.

If I were in the armed services, my battle cry would have to be METAAAAAL!!! like the dude on the PP V dvd.

Heh... march into battle, raise my rifle, "And the dragon comes in tha NIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" *ratatatatatatatatat* ...and boom goes the dynamite.

Heh heh heh... if you really want a guaranteed safe communication code, just have the guys from Emperor write songs with the messages in the lyrics. That way, only the most dedicated, true death metalheads will be able to translate it. Better than the Native Americans in WWII !!!

Seriously.. I commend you for stepping into the world that most want to fearfully shy away from. I have a cousin in the Air Force flying F15's in England, and a buddy training to be a marksman/sniper in the Army up near Seattle. So I know you'll be doing our country proud.

And throw the horns up every once in a while.

enki3600 said:
it's only life right?
I take it they didn't have to question you on your top secret security clearance papers?

They grilled me pretty hard, actually, about pretty much everything, but after answering everything honestly, they said I shouldn't have any problems getting cleared. While sitting there filling out those forms I really had to evaluate that this really I want to do.
-Adam-

Hey Adam! I met you at ProgPower during one of the afterparties. You were wearing the Therion "Lemuria" shirt had were sitting with me in the hallway of the Granada on Saturday night during PP6.1! It was nice to talk with you, you're totally cool! :)

I'm a big language nerd, all the way from Icelandic to conlangs like Esperanto, and even into semantics. If I wasn't so well on my to being hammered that night, it would have been cool to chat with you more about what you'd be doing. When you do get a chance to come back to PP, you're partying with us! You drink for free, my friend!

:headbang:

Yippee38 said:
Thanks for serving man. <S>

"It's a cookbook! It's a cookbook!" :tickled:

Bryan316 said:
Heh heh heh... if you really want a guaranteed safe communication code, just have the guys from Emperor write songs with the messages in the lyrics. That way, only the most dedicated, true death metalheads will be able to translate it. Better than the Native Americans in WWII !!!

--And Mortiis could fly over the battle-lines and hand-deliver it, clutched in his beak. :D

Adam, good luck with your military service! It was cool meeting you!