My current view of this years ProgPower or "Am I getting old?"

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
Don't worry, this isn't a knock against the fest at all!

So ProgPower is coming up, this will be my 11th one. I know the festival extremely well. I know who's who and what to expect every year. It's not bad or anything, I really enjoy that because there is really a sense of community. I know many who have been going for years would echo this sentiment.

My first year going was back in 01 at the first Atlanta show. It's a really interesting story (at least I think so) about how I got involved and I think that some time in the near future I may write up a long essay about my experiences throughout the years. A loyal audience members memoir perhaps? But I found out about ProgPower by way of the Evergrey website way back in the day in all of it's terribleness back then. Then I found out Nightingale would be there. I'm pretty sure I completely creamed myself. Angel Dust and Kamelot were just icing on the cake. I couldn't believe I was going to get to see all these bands that I never thought I'd have the chance at seeing. Ever. Let alone Nightingale, which continues to be in my Top 5. It was a near religious experience for me and despite how many people joke about Dan having the lyrics in front of him, I don't really give a damn. But I'll leave my defense for him for another time.

Thankfully I already knew some people that were going to be at ProgPower because of a Norwegian friend I had met years earlier in 1996 on IRC through our obsession with Quake/Hexen II/etc. He had no idea that I was into metal until 01 and he asked me to pop into a different irc channel called #seismic. It was there that I met many of my closest PP friends. I don't talk to them as often as I'd like these days, but that is the way of things no? Those of you reading this know who you are of course. I started going when I had only recently turned 19. Most of these people were in their mid to late 20's. Now I'm almost 30 and these people are hitting their 40's. It's pretty surreal to be honest. I asked one of my friends how old he was when he first started going to PP as I never asked his age back in 01. He was 25. This meant that I was now older than he had been at his first PP, and at the time it seemed like he was way older.

But I digress, where is this going you might ask? I love going to this festival. I used to be someone who was super excited throughout the year about it. These days excitement usually starts coming as I actually drive to Atlanta. It's just part of my yearly ritual at this point. Once again, this isn't bad necessarily. I've just done this so many times that well..you know. I still look forward to it.

But this year is different for me. A lot has changed for me financially in a very short amount of time. In some ways I am dreading PP this year. I almost wish I could push it back another month or two. I'm not broke or anything, but I know that part of me will have issues just taking vacation time from my job. I don't know why I feel this way, I have no sincere dedication to my job and I haven't taken any vacation time at all this year. But is this normal? I'm sitting here thinking "Shit, if I could just hold it off another month or two, maybe I'd worry less about money and shit at PP" when it used to be "Oh I'm totally going to blow my load at PP this year". I don't want to come to PP and sit there and worry about all of this and I'm sure that once I'm on my drive to Atlanta, all of this will melt away. But shit, I want to be able to buy some cd's and support the vendors that have been coming for years. I want to sleep somewhere of course. I want to have a beer or two. I don't want to freak out so much about money that I just sit there and don't do anything at all.

And since I've taken a major interest in concert photography, I've made it a point to glue myself to the rail. You can see how this can cause problems if you want to be social with people and maybe get that Therion - Time Shall Tell vinyl signed right? But in the end, I realize that this is stupid to stress over. I'll figure it all out even if I have to give sexual favours to people. I'm being neurotic about the 'moving from the rail' but I kinda just want to get it out there.

So if you've made it this far, props to you. Do you have anything to say? Do you have similar freak outs about PP (especially those of you who have been doing this for a few years...I realize that anyone pretty new probably still has the 'freaking out with excitement' bug).

I look forward to seeing all of my friends this year, and I apologize for not keeping in touch as much as I'd like. Also, someone hold my spot while I go get this vinyl signed.

Unfortantely I don't think there is a point in any responsible person's life where they stop worrying about money. Hopefully you worry so much that you just get used to it and when life kicks you in the ass you've already worried so much that your cushioned against any bullshit that comes your way and even then sometimes it just is what it is.

That being said it's understandable that you feel this way, jobs keep getting cut, the daily news blurbs concerning the economy don't really make one feel cozy. Going back to what was said above, if your responsible you shouldn't deny yourself things within your means. I'm sure alot would like to go to Wacken every year or that cruise or both, sometimes you have to be realistic and weigh your options. Only you can decide what makes sense financially, sometimes if you can't go, you can't go but if it's just what ifs that have you worried well that's just life, those never go away.

Best advice stay away from vetrinarians and you'll do fine.

My experience is a little bit different. I too have been coming to ProgPower since the first year it moved to Atlanta. I had heard about the first one in Chicago through the Symphony X mailing list and damn near went just to see Symphony X. I ended up not going though as I couldn't justify traveling for a multi-day festival that appeared to be standing only (judging by the pictures I could find of JJ Kelley's). But then I found out about the second one, and that Superior was going! When I saw that it was going to be at Earthlink live or whatever it was called back then, and that there were a good amount of seats in this venue, I was sold. I never wavered throughout the whole 911 airplane concerns and was quite relieved to hear that Superior (and others) were still coming. I was nervous about going to a weekend festival by myself but was immediately hooked based on the entire culture of the event - the awesome production and timing, the cool venue, the friendly and respectful audience, and the generosity of the bands to hang out and chat throughout the entire weekend! I will never forget the Superior and Symphony X sets as they still rank at the top of my favorite concert going experiences.

I have since started dragging my brother to the event and am working on another friend. I joined the gold badge list as soon as it was started and eventually became a VIP sponsor (this will be my fifth year to sponsor). And I still enjoy having to explain to the engineers and accountants at work why I am going on a non-negotiable vacation every year in September just for a concert! :) Hell I even went to ProgPower Scandinavia when it first came out!

While the process has definitely become routine for me (I fly the same routes, stay at the same hotel, and even eat at mostly the same restaurants), I still thoroughly enjoy going and look forward to the event every year. For me its a guys vacation away from the work and family (though my 9 year son is bugging me to come along). I get to drink a bunch of beer, and hang out with a bunch of cool people (bands and fans). I used to really care about what bands are coming for the first 4-5 years but now I come no matter what, as typically half or more of the bands I didn't care about initially end up really growing on me by the time the event rolls around. I still wish there were more repeat bands as many of the bands I have discovered and come to love because of PP still don't tour in the states.

Here is the ProgPower memorial that I keep in my office with a few other bands sprinkled in:

6056170563_6a691e7cf2_m.jpg

Thanks,
Bill

You probably do and just don't realize it. I met several folks from America at that fest (mostly from the east coast) - but I am terrible at remembering names. Go see my picture on the first page of the poster thread (Me and my son with his guitar) and see if you don't recognize me.

Bill

There certainly have been some here who have decided not to go because of finances or not being able to get time off. Certainly I've felt the pinch here, and the only reason why I'm able to go is that I spread the pain around throughout the year and found ways to cut costs. (Using priceline to book my hotel room, for example.) At least right now I know that, except for food, everything is paid for.

Early on with this festival, there has been a few times where I thought about not going, that the cost was too much and that festivals which didn't require flying to to get there would be what I'd be doing more of. Yet, it ends up that I've only missed two ProgPowers. (V, because I got married that year and my money and vacation was dedicated to a honeymoon, and VIII, because the only band I really wanted to see was After Forever, and I thought I could just see them locally. Course, then I had a scheduling conflict and couldn't go to the local show, then they broke up. Sucks to be me.)

It is a credit to Glenn that he still manages to get me to spend a lot of my money on ProgPower, despite the fact that I probably would have a bit more money going to the prog festivals which are more local.

Unfortantely I don't think there is a point in any responsible person's life where they stop worrying about money.

I don't worry about money. I've made it a priority to become financially responsible and have packed away a good emergency fund. My house has a dual income with pretty good salaries though, so even if we both get laid off or are out of work at the same time, which is unlikely, we'd be able to survive on what we've got for well over 2 years if we cut to basics.

I consider myself to be extremely fortunate to be in such a situation. I know not everyone has been able to do what I've done, and misfortune has touched a lot of you. However, I also believe that planning and being intelligent with the money I DO have has assisted to getting me to this point.

part of me will have issues just taking vacation time from my job.

Fuck every last thing about this line of thought. Fuck the job market for telling you you shouldn't, fuck the corporate mindset of telling employees they should work harder for less money, fuck the entire situation that leads people to be TERRIFIED of taking fucking TIME OFF, and FUCK the system that penalizes people for doing just that. Makes me so fucking angry.

One person said something profound: "Americans take vacation so they can come back and work harder. Europeans work hard so they can take vacations."

Anyway, not knowing what anyone elses financial situation looks like, if you're seriously legitimately worried about buying a beer or two or spending $20, you probably really can't afford it. It's not a bad thing, it just is what it is. Gotta make sure you can keep a roof over your head and such.

I ended up skipping PP one year because of financial turmoil myself, as it came down to the fact that I could not afford both going to Hawai'i with friends/SO and PP as well.

This year will be my first time missing PP in 6 years, and to tell you the truth, it hurts to be able to come. Is it because of finances, not really, I always keep my PP money separate. The reason I am missing is a health issue this year. I so want to come, but it is just not in the cards this year, hopefully next year you will see my Old wrinkled crappy face again. I am going to miss all of you so much this year. Have a beer for me.

I decided to go to my first ProgPower when two guys from a band I really liked (Glenn knows the one) were ALSO in a keyboard driven band who had a slot... and fell prey to the Stinking Visa Virus.

I was bummed, and I had this ticket to go to a 2 day event filled with bands I didn't know, and I was considering just writing off the cost of the ticket, and not going.

Best decision I never made - I am hooked, and it will be a dark day when this ends, but I'm sure glad I joined the party when I did. Getting to know this festival, the band members, the fans (many of whom have, or promote, their own bands) has been great. It is more fun to be able to say I am going to a concert (as I am on Friday) for a "friend's band" than just some folks I don't know who make good music.

Face it - at one point in our lives, all of us were "fans" first. Of someone, or something. It is fun to be able to bring that "fandom" to a more personal level - ProgPower has enabled us all to do that on a repeat basis.

Oh - and Mosquito - you ain't NEARLY old, son... but you may be growing up.

One can still seriously enjoy yourself at this festival even if you don't spend a lot of excess $$$, or only come for a couple days, or even one day.

This. You don't need to buy the CDs. You don't need to buy that many drinks. Get your food at the grocery store and eat at the hotel. There's ways to do it, just a matter of changing your routine. No need to be dramatic about it. You can still enjoy the festival just as well. If you need to NOT buy those 20 friggin' CDs, simply don't buy them. The festival is just as great.

I'll be honest, the only way I'm even able to come to ProgPower this year is because I live only a few hours away and it's convenient. If I had to fly in from New York like other years, I would not be going. I've even cut the earlier days from the fest and it's basically just a trip to see some friends.

My priorities have changed as I've gotten older and so has my interest in music. I've gotten the travel bug and it pretty much uses up all of my available money and vacation time.

I will say that my best ProgPower year was the one I didn't even want to go to because I hated the lineup. I had such a good time anyway that it didn't matter. I'm hoping this year ends up somewhat the same.

Speaking as someone who attended his fIrst ProgPower last year, I can tell you this...I am hooked. It was the most fun I ever had and it is sooo much more than just a concert. At the time, I didn't worry about finances, I had a well paying job and live within my means, so I was able to afford to take the trip from Massachusetts to Atlanta. When the opportunity came to become a sponsor for Sanctuary at this years event, I jumped at it. Then a few months ago, after 9 years at the same company, I got laid off. It was a shock to say the least, but I feel like it's a blessing in disguise because I hated my job with a passion. This was just fates way of saying "Time to move on to bigger and better things". Everything was already paid for this years ProgPower, so I have nothing to worry about. I have saved up since last November and I have plenty of spending money to have a great time!

And as for next year? I guarantee I will have a job, doing something that I WANT to do for a living. There is no doubt in my mind that I will return as a sponsor next year and for as many years to come. As long as Glenn decides to continue, he has my support. I feel that the costs associated with ProgPower are spread out in such a way that it is definitely still doable. Will I have to room with someone or buy a few less cds or other merch, maybe, but it's worth it to me. I look forward to seeing all of my friends in just 4 weeks and have the time of my life...again!

Interesting related to story to mattbrood's post...

My first ProgPower, I was in a go-nowhere job that I despised. I put in for my vacation time, went to ProgPower, had a great time and when I came back immediately put in my two-weeks notice with no job lined up. Didn't regret it one bit.