Passing of a Progpower Attendee

This is very sad news. Unfortunately I did not know Ray, but he sounds like a great guy and my heart goes out to all of you who knew him. I truly feel the true measure of a person is told by the friends they leave behind, and Ray certainly seems to have died wealthy in that regard. Rest in Peace.

RIP my metal brother. That's all I can hope for is when I pass people would say such kind words about me. That's truly awesome.

now I truly regret never having spoken to him beyond the nod and smile and "how's it going?" type chatter in passing.

:erk:

I'll be sure to remember him tonight and raise a glass to him.

The name didn't ring a bell with me, but after seeing those pictures I realize I had chatted with him a few times at Prog Powers' past ... a very nice guy. I'm sorry to hear about his passing.

Britt

I didn't know Ray, but after seeing the photos I certainly do remember seeing him at PPs in the past. It's always a shame to loose one of the fold, but as several have already pointed out, at least he passed doing what he loved. I wish I had taken the opportunity to get to know him better. I guess it just goes to show that you never know when your time will come. RIP Ray. :headbang:

Ray and i met about 30 years ago in a place called The House of Music Record Store. Even then he was the most knowledgable guy i ever met when it came to ALL music. Some time later, about 20 years ago, Ray opened Avatar Records. It was nothing to walk in and be greeted with "hey man, what's going on?" and have a stack of cd's(sometimes as many as 20) pushed my way. Invaraibly,everything he sold me was something i loved.
In 1999 ,I think, I walked into Ray's store and he had the new Kiss cd,Psycho Circus just waiting for me and of course I was much tooooooooo Mature to even consider buying anything by Kiss. He talked me into buying it with the promise if i didn't like it he would trade for anything else i wanted AND give me my money back. This was not something Ray would do lightly. I called Ray back a couple hours later and he asked if i liked the cd. i admitted to him i had listened to it twice and was getting ready to listen a third time. He laughed and said something like " i guess my money is safe." Damn he knew what i liked to listen to.
He had a famous line for when you were about to leave the shop. He would wait till you almost to the door and say,"Oh man , one more thing. I couldn't forgive myself if i didn't let you hear this before you leave." Then ray would play something else and yes of course i would buy that too. And i always walked out of his store knowing he sent me out with exactly what i wanted to listen to. Music for any time of day ,music for every mood.
We saw the Stones together in 1981. we ran into each other at a Molly Hatchet show in 1978. I saw him at the Montrose concert in 1980(?) so yeh we did hang together from time to time.
My best friend Troy and i ran into Ray at a Hammerfall show in Cincy. Troy and i planned along with another good dude( i mean GOOD DUDE) Joel to hook up with Ray this year at prog. I can say with absolutel certainty that prog this year for me will be a little less festive, less colorfull without Ray .
And Ray, one more thing dude, you are one of the goodest dudes i ever knew, and i love you , man

Mike