Passing of a Progpower Attendee

WOW. This is really sad to hear. Ray was a really nice guy that I taked to every year at ProgPower. I also ran into him at Chicago Power Fest one year. I suck at names and never could remember his but he always knew mine even though we only ran into each other once or twice a year. Thanks for posting the photos or I'd be wondering where he was at this years fest.

Rest In Peace Brother.

I'm like Yippee, I recognize him but don't think I ever spoke to him.

Let's all make a pledge to make sure to say hi this year to at least one more person that we recognize but have never talked to.

Ken

Terrible news :-\ I, too, absolutely recognize him but never spoke with him. So many people, and really so little time each year. Metalprof's suggestion is terrific - say hi to at least 1 new person this year. Just look at AMBR's poster and pick a person. They might change your life, as it seems Ray has done for many.

RIP

I started buying music from Raymond Dowdell about 15 years ago. There were always several things that always amuzed me about him. First, NO matter who walked through the door at his shop, he seemed to always know their name. Raymond had told me that he wasn't looking forward to closing Avatar records, but he had basically been working for free for almost 2 years. 12 hours a day 6 days a week, only taking off for Progpower, BWBK, ANYTIME Iron Maiden(which was Raymonds favorite band of all time) got within 500 miles, and a few others here and there. Raymond would joke his boss was a slave driver. He would laugh and then say he truly felt like he had not put in a days work in over 20 years. The ONLY negative things I've ever heard come out of his mouth was when people would talk about Illegal downloading of music. If you wanted a stern lecture on what stealing was, tell Ray you just BURNED something off the internet that you didn't pay for.
I remember the first CD I bought from Ray on his EVER so RARE guarantee of a refund AND something else if I didn't like it. It was Dream Theater-Scenes from a memory. I remember getting it home and thinking wow this is one of the best CD's I've ever heard. I've rarely bought a cd from anyone or anywhere else. Raymond would love nothing more than have someone come and visit the shop for a few hours so he could get to know what you really liked so he would be prepared the on your next visit. He was a master at recommending new things to people based upon what they had purchased or even mentioned in the past. Raymond would play anything you wanted to hear before you spent one cent on it. He wanted you to be completely happy when you walked out of the store. He loved a good joke. Of the countless hours I spent in Avatar record I think I had only seen him stumped on a request by a customer once. The customer was asking Ray about some Rap artist that Raymond hadn't heard of. I recall thinking how shocked I was, but when it came to Rap, even Raymond has his limits. Ray liked all kinds of music and his knowledge of it all seemed almost endless. But, his passion was metal. A few of Raymond other Favorites were Savatage, Morgana Lafay, Gamma Ray, and Edguy.
I will never forget you Raymond, not only were you the owner of my favorite store, you were my friend. I guess you finally got that vacation you always talked about, that your slave driving boss wouldn't ever let you take. Being found with a cd in your hand seems to me a story book written end for a man who loved his Metal and his Store. Rest in peace my friend.
Troy

But the man died doing what he loved -- listening to and selling music. That's quite an honor, actually. Like a Viking dying on the battlefield, sword in hand.
:kickass:

I wonder what cd he was holding? I'm sure we would all wonder that ....out of morbid curiousity...I guess.
Rust In Peace by Megadeth? :)

Wow, look at the reader comments on that article...he will definitely be missed.

Reading everyone's response here makes me realize how valued Ray was. He certainly touched a lot of souls. I'm posting on here a myspace blog from the young man, Roger, that broke the sad news to me the other day. As you can read from his words, Ray was a very good mentor in this young man's life. Roger told me that Ray's viewing is today and I asked that he stop by the board here sometime so he can read everyone's kind words.
-------------------------------------------------------------

March 23, 2009 - Monday 11:48 PM
spacer.gif
R.I.P. Raymond Dowdell
Current mood:Shocked

I found out about 30 minutes ago that a very good friend of mine passed
away today. For the last 10 years, I had been buying CDs from Raymond's
store, Avatar Records, in Radcliff almost exclusively. His service to
his customers was such that I felt it was worth the drive all the way
from Louisville because he made sure I got the exact album I wanted,
and would hold new albums and limited editions for me until I could get
down there to pick them up. If he didn't see something in his catalog
that I requested for a special order, he would even make note of it and
ask his suppliers specifically about that item.

Over the course of the past decade, I also got to know Raymond fairly
well. I first walked into his store in the 7th grade. Back then, I used
to have my grandpa drive me down there to get CDs, and Raymond always
knew exactly what I was looking for when I asked. When I finally got a
driver's license, I used to go hang out at the store and talk to him
about anything and everything when I would get off from work at the
Furniture Liquidators. His store was right down the street from
Furniture Liquidators, so it wasn't a big deal to visit there multiple
times during the week. Raymond used to give me advice on everything
from relationship issues to dealing with a lot of the bullshit that has
come and gone and come again over the years.

I can safely say that I would have never been introduced to a lot of my
favorite music if it weren't for Raymond. When I would hang out at the
store, if I was curious about a certain band and he had a copy of their
album in what part of his collection was at the store (he owned 1000s
of albums, making my 350+ collection look miniscule in comparison), he
would play the album for me so I could see if I liked it. If not for
this, I may have never gotten into Iron Maiden, Arch Enemy, Frank
Zappa, Corrosion of Conformity, Blue Oyster Cult, David Bowie, Lordi,
etc.

I'm honestly still confused about his death. From what I've heard, he
died from a heart attack, and it makes no sense to me. Although he was
54, the guy ran 7 miles every morning and evening and always looked
like he was in ridiculously good health for his age. Of all the people
I could have heard about this happening to, he would have been the last
I would have ever expected. Last time I talked to him, he was planning
his year off and what he was going to do afterward once he finally
closed the store for good this month.

R.I.P. Raymond - You were a great business man and an ever greater friend.

n38306423_34550176_3489.jpg

From what I've read there's a few of you here that were close enough to visit his store, thought I would post on here the obit should you wish to know the arrangements:

Raymond Carroll Dowdell, Jr.
Raymond Carroll Dowdell, Jr., 54 of Elizabethtown, died Monday, March 23, 2009 at Hardin Memorial Hospital. He was a Hardin County native, an avid runner and thoroughly enjoyed concerts nationwide. He was the owner and operator of Avatar Records in Radcliff for 20 years. He was preceded in death by his father, Raymond C. Dowdell, Sr.. Survivors include his mother and step father, Carolyn and Neil Burden of Elizabethtown; one brother, Michael Dowdell of Elizabethtown; four sisters, Cathy (Mark) Sharman, Terry (Joe) Ballard and Stephanie (Mick) Heibert all of Elizabethtown and Sandi (Dwayne) Young of Indianapolis, IN; four nephews, Joey Brown of Louisville, Matthew Wright of Hodgenville, Colton Heibert and Clayton Heibert both of Elizabethtown and one niece, Christin Braden of Bowling Green. The funeral will be Thursday at 2 p.m. at Brown Funeral Home with Dr. Robert Darnell officiating. Burial will follow in Elizabethtown Memorial Gardens. Visitation will be from 2:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday and continue after 9 a.m. Thursday at the funeral home. Condolences may be expressed online at www.brownfuneral.com

Wow totally sad to hear this :(

While I did not know him either, he would be one of the guys I recognize every year at the show. While working the front table, I would always see him shuffle out after a band played to head to the vendor area. He always had a pep in his step too (not surprised to hear about the running). Sad :(

RIP - seemed like a decent guy.

Ray's close friend that let me know of his passing went to the viewing yesterday. He said that next to him was a big picture of "Eddie" and Ray had his leather jacket on. Roger said that there was a huge line to wait in for the viewing and that people were telling all of their stories about Ray. He certainly was a people person.

Oh and Roger said that Ray appeared to have a slight smile. It will be weird this year not seeing him in the Progpower crowd this year, but something tells me the man is content and now checking out the "Great Gig in the Sky."

Actually, I was at the viewing testerday. Didn't see a picture of Eddie, However, there was a Eddie bobble head(live after death) sitting in the coffin with him. He did have on his favorite black leather jacket with one of his cherished Iron Maiden T-shirts underneath. There was in fact a VERY LONG line of people through out the entire day at the funeral home waiting to pay their respects. This man touch the lives of soo many. I think Raymond would've been surprised just how many people loved and cared for him, or at the very least respected him for the man he was. I'm very pleased at the level of respect all of have shown for my friend here on the forum.
Thank You soo much
Troy

Actually, I was at the viewing testerday. Didn't see a picture of Eddie, However, there was a Eddie bobble head(live after death) sitting in the coffin with him.
Troy

That was it! I assumed it was a pic when Roger said "Eddie was right next to him" I had no clue they even made Eddie bobble-heads - now I want one!