1.) Melvins-(A) Senile Animal
2.) Mastodon-Blood Mountain
3.) Peeping Tom
4.) Lamb of God-Sacrament
5.) Keith Caputo-Hearts Blood On Your Dawn
6.) Goatwhore-A Haunting Curse
7.) The Haunted-The Dead Eye
8.) Deftones-Saturday Night Wrist
And that is about all I can think of.......

Biggest Disappointments of '06
Slayer-Christ Illusion This album is a total rehashed snooze fest
Tool-10,000 Days- Again, totally boring album and this is coming from a huge fan of Tool. I think I may be done with these guys. Two boring albums in a row:erk:

I'm still trying to compile a year end list. But for sure some are :
Venom - Metal Black
Celtic Frost- Monotheist
Killing Machine- Metalmorphosis

many others...But these have remained in my ipod forever...
It's gonna be hard to find a top 10,,,,

edit: Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death

and don't laugh , but I actually really like Quiet Riot's new one called..-Rehab- Good Hard Rock songs

Mercenary - The Hours That Remain
Into Eternity - The Scattering of Ashes
Disarmonia Mundi - Mind Tricks
Scar Symmetry - Pitch Black Progress
Napalm Death - Smear Campaign
Amorphis - Elicpse

Some of these weren't released this year but on my playlist

Butterfly Effect - Imago (best Aussie album of the year - forget Wolfmother)
Arch Enemy - Doomsday Machine
Peeping Tom
Soulfly - Dark Ages
Iron Maiden - A matter of life and death
Muse - Blackholes & Revelations

Motorhead - Kiss Of Death
Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life And Death
Slayer - Christ Illusion (What can I say...I like it!)
Los Lonely Boys - Sacred (Good to relax to)
and the shocker of the list...
Bob Seger - Face The Promise (Oh great, there goes the last shred of cred I had left!!!):lol:

Lamb of God - Sacrament
Butterfly Effect - Imago (thanks aliasp - looking forward to them at the BDO)
Trivium - The Crusade
Slayer - Christ Illusion
Mastodon - Blood Mountain

I'm sure there's a ton more........?

Heck I forgot Lamb of God on that list!!!

You're welcome Timmy. Hopefully TBE do a few single shows at some pubs as well. I will be back in Adelaide by then (yes I am moving back home in January for family reasons).

Beat me to it...I was thinking about starting this thread while I was on vacation :p

Album of the year: Motorhead - Kiss of Death - Possibly the best Motorhead album to date, I can't get this album out of my CD player.

Honorable mention:
Rhino Bucket - And Then It Got Ugly - hey, it's been a long time since AC/DC has released anything, so this fills a void
Brand New Sin - Tequila - Not as strong as their last album, but like the last album, it takes a while to really grow and absorb, so despite having come out fairly recently, it's moved up the charts on my play list
Shadows Fall - Fallout From the War - I'm starting to get into these guys a bit more lately, and this album may not be the best example, as a contractual obligation album with a bunch of b-sides and covers, it's still a good slab of metal
Cradle of Filth - Thornography
The Haunted - The Dead Eye
Strapping Young Lad - The New Black

You know it's a great year for metal when Iron Maiden can release an album and it doesn't even make the honorable mention list.

Disappointments:
Black Label Society - To be honest, I'm not sure why I'm disappointed with BLS any more, as I've come to just expect a couple okay rocking songs, a few godawful ballads, and mainly forgettable filler. Zakk has been churning out albums at a fast rate, but seriously, of his last 4 albums, he could have made one killer EP, but instead put out a lot of filler crap.
Iron Maiden - It's not a bad album, it's just kind of pretentious and boring. For those longing of the "good old days" of Iron Maiden before they started trying to be more "progressive", check out my personal favorite album of 2005...Bruce Dickinson's Tyranny of Souls

my fave hard rock/metal....

1) iron maiden - molad
alot of people just don't get it or, they just don't like progressive music. not for the casual fans but probably my favorite maiden disc since notb. while i agree with nafnikufesin that dickinson put out a great album in 05. this one did it for me in 06.

2) sick of it all - death to tyrants
this album kills from start to finish. to me what these guys needed was just a smidge of better production and it shows on this non stop hardcore assult.

3) clutch - robot hive exodus
i was always a casual clutch fan since i first seen them with stuck mojo way back when but, they really connected on this one to me. i liked this album so much i drove up to chicago to see a show.

4) venom - metal black
this is one of the bands (along with merciful fate) that got me into a whole other side of metal back in the early 80's and lone original member cronos serves up probably the greatest old school black metal album of 2006 and of all time.

biggest disapointments to me ....

system of a down
started out a cool band then these clowns got so full of themselves that they imploded

ac/dc
all the rumors of writting who will produce their next cd, and working on demos and then... nothing.

black sabbath
sold their name to ozzy and sharon and now may reunite with dio as "heaven and hell" . probably one of the stupidest things i've ever heard .have you no shame.

and yes anthrax
i love you guys but you have done nothing but dissapoint me time after time this past year. i prdecit it'll be over 4 years since you last released a new song and before you get one on the shelves but you've released 4 albums since then. tisk tisk tisk.

Lamb of God - Sacrament. Best new CD this year.

Ministry - Rio Grande Blood. Just as great as Houses of the Molé.

Straping Young Lad - The New Black. Finally a true studio version of Far Beyond Metal.

The Haunted - The Dead Eye. Not fantastic but the next album could be killer if Patrik Jensen gets to the studio in time.

All in all, 2006 wasn´t a very good music year to me.

Some choices might seem a little odd to some people (I hope not) but here are my best of the year:

Eagles of Death Metal - Death By Sexy
Peeping Tom - Peeping Tom
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
The Bluetones - The Bluetones
The God Damn Whorez - We Are The Lucky 13
Primla Scream - Riot City Blues
James Dean Bradfield - The Great Western
Kasbian - Empire

I think that's about it........

There are a couple cd's that I somehow forgot about...So here is my revised list

My favorite cd's for 2006 are......
1.) Melvins-(A) Senile Animal
2.) Mastodon-Blood Mountain
3.) Peeping Tom
4.) Lamb of God-Sacrament
5.) Scissorfight-Jaggernaut
6.) Sick of it All- Death to Tyrants
7.) Deftones-Saturday Night Wrist
8.) The Haunted-The Dead Eye
9.) Goatwhore-A Haunting Curse
10.) Keith Caputo-Hearts Blood On Your Dawn
11.) Napalm Death-Smear Campaign

1.Muse - Black Holes And Revelations
2.Edguy - Rocket Ride
3. Iron Maiden - A Matter Of Life and Death
4.Foo Fighters - Skin And Bones
5.Tool - 10,000 Days

I thought for sure that it was released in 2005....but I saw Karro's list and thought I must be drinking too much because I didn't remember it being released in 2006:lol:

1. Devin Townsend - Synchestra. One word: Beautiful

2. Strapping Young Lad - The New Black Another unique album from SYL. Devin Townsend is a musical genius. No, scratch that. He's a musical GOD. So glad I met him this year

3. Slayer - Christ Illusion What can I say, I like it. Piussed off and controversial. Slayer style

4. Beyond Fear Ripper Owens is so underrated

5. Hatebreed - Supremacy I happen to like Hatebreed, so piss off!

6. Brand New Sin - Tequila I've loved these guys since anyone new who they were. Almost as good as their debut