A really strange suggestion for a ProgPower headliner...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
Mind you, it's been years since I've listened to this band. And even back in the day, I wouldn't have considered myself anything but a casual fan. But how about a band like Twisted Sister?

The reason I bring them up is, they recently headlined Wacken, and by all accounts, they killed. And if not Twisted Sister, I wonder if Glenn would ever consider having a classic band like this at ProgPower. If not as a headliner, maybe as a #3.

As I elluded to, I'm not advocating Glenn get TS for PPVII. It just seems like we've beated every other possible scenario to death on this board as of late, and to be frank, I'm bored. :loco:

Thoughts?

Zod

First we have Bryant singing the praises of the Backstreet Boys, and now Zod is suggesting Twisted Sister (or someone of their ilk) for ProgPower...WTF is going on around here :lol:

James said:
First we have Bryant singing the praises of the Backstreet Boys, and now Zod is suggesting Twisted Sister...
Wait a minute... Suggesting a throwback band doesn't put me in the same class as that pink-wine-sipping-boy-band-loving-Wolf-Hoffman-wanna-be Bryant.

Zod

General Zod said:
Wait a minute... Suggesting a throwback band doesn't put me in the same class as that pink-wine-sipping-boy-band-loving-Wolf-Hoffman-wanna-be Bryant.

Zod

Hey, you wait a minute, I'm going to have to step in here and defend someone that I think very highly of -- Wolf Hoffman rules!

I would have been all about Accept playing ProgPower! I still am very curious as to whether they were even considered as a possibility for PP.

General Zod said:

Zod

BenJAMin said:
I would have been all about Accept playing ProgPower! I still am very curious as to whether they were even considered as a possibility for PP.

I would love to see Accept here, as well :headbang:

With respect to Zod's original topic of having a "classic band" at ProgPower, I also wouldn't mind seeing someone like Saxon

I would love to see Twisted Sister, and i think they would be great for PP, and would set a tone for all other bands to follow.

Not 100% sold on the TS thing, although I could see it having the potential to go over very well, but I do agree with the idea in general. And yeah, TS would certainly set one hell of a watermark for other bands...

All these old hairbands belong where they are, stupid MTV and VH1 reality shows, and in our memories. It's like when you watch T.J. Hooker! You remembered it as much better than it really is.

Sorry Zod, I wouldn't be all that interested in seeing throwbacks like TS brought in for Prog Power. That kind of nastalgia stuff is for other fests like BWBK, or tour packages of throwback bands.

I guess I just kind of expect the Prog Power lineup to include more obscure acts from the prog, and power metal world that only fans of those genres know and love.

Britt

lady_space said:
Was just listening to Saxon in the car... never been a big fan, but I bet they'd be fun. :)

Shaye
I could much easier see a band like Saxon being invited to Prog Power than bands that aren't "really" active like Twisted Sister, and Accept. Saxon has stayed active, and still makes studio albums, and as far as I know TS and Accept are nothing more than Nostaglic acts that get together now and again to cash in at various festivals.

Britt

I never thought I would find myself agreeing with mudshark, but I do. Sort of. I think any of these types of bands go against the theme of the festival. I remeber getting blasted by Zod and Dark One for suggesting that certain bands did not belong in this festival that have either played and or bands that were getting alot of recomedations from the forum members to play.

The argument to me was that this festival was for bands that were progessing in music. I hardly think that TS, Accept, Saxon, or any of the bands have progressed one bit since the 80's. There are plenty of these 80's metal tours going around without bringing then into PP. I have seen Twisted Sister and once was enough. Saxon was a good band at one time. The only band I would like to see that was mentioned here would be Rainbow. Although I still don't think they fit here. But they would kick ass.

FatesFan said:
I never thought I would find myself agreeing with mudshark, but I do. Sort of. I think any of these types of bands go against the theme of the festival. I remeber getting blasted by Zod and Dark One for suggesting that certain bands did not belong in this festival that have either played and or bands that were getting alot of recomedations from the forum members to play.

The argument to me was that this festival was for bands that were progessing in music. I hardly think that TS, Accept, Saxon, or any of the bands have progressed one bit since the 80's. There are plenty of these 80's metal tours going around without bringing then into PP. I have seen Twisted Sister and once was enough. Saxon was a good band at one time. The only band I would like to see that was mentioned here would be Rainbow. Although I still don't think they fit here. But they would kick ass.

That being said you could argue that the majority of the bands that have played PP haven't progressed musically that much either. They have their sound and stick to it. There's nothing wrong with that, but it's true. Evergrey is a great band but they are very predictable, how many songs do they have that start out slow then go heavy then slow or vice versa? Gamma Ray is another, straight up power metal, every album is very similar. Both are amazing bands but don't take large progressive steps.

The main example of a big change or some progress being made of a band that's played PP would be from Tad Morose's 1st release to their next. Now THERE is a change.

Here's another, Manticora's new album compared to Hyperion. Another progressive change in sound. Their 1st 3 albums are very similar, this new one comes out of nowhere.

That's why Rage, Saxon, Accept, Motorhead and other old schoolers would fit nicely. Saxon's recent material is no different than Stratovarius' in terms of progressing the sound. I think Strat's whole catalog is VERY similar, some argue that the 1st 3 were original, but I have them and frankly hear nothing fresh on them, nothing that gives me a wow factor like Circus Maximus or Manticora's new one. That's not to say I don't like them, if I didn't I wouldn't have all their studio releases.

Maybe a classical metal band...

But no to Overkill
and also no to Twisted Sister.. I simply dont like them

I'd rather repeat a headliner than having someone like that if that's the case...