__
Jul 15, 2001
The starry attic
www.russellgarwood.co.uk
Alix – Ground
Go Down Records – 2004
By Russell Garwood

alix.jpg

It just doesn’t feel right writing this review under the influence of absolutely no mind-altering substances whatsoever. But, since I’m not a fan of drugs, and my review would be shit if I was drunk, I guess the fact I’m wearing flares (kinda), will have to suffice. So, the music. What we have here is some nice, hazy stoner rock. Perhaps some psych here and there, but the most notable feature is an infectious, fuzzy groove-laden feel, augmented by some earthy vocals. The guitars are suitably melodic, insanely memorable and warm. Occasional less distorted sounds add pleasant variation, as do the sporadic effects. Straightforward, crashing drums fit perfectly, while the prominent bass provides unstoppable momentum. The female singing over this is impressively varied – some vibrato balances the otherwise laid-back singing, which often relies on moans, deeper tones and whispers in an excellent performance. The songs vary in character, with some anthemic, feel good, summery tracks, and some darker, more relaxed pieces. One composition even borders on a ballad.

Despite this variation, all the music on Ground all has a very similar feel, which works in the band’s favour, but if you’re not in the mood can make the album sound slightly samey. While there is little in the way of originality or innovation here, Alix can write a damn good song, and this release comes highly recommended to fans of stoner rock.

7/10

Official Go Down Records website
Official Alix website