Angra, "The Shadow Hunter"

Ruthven said:
Thanks for addressing that, I was hoping that more people would offer their take on the lyrical content because of its unusual nature. I'm a "discerning Christian," to borrow a phrase from Hansi Kursch, but I listen to a lot of music made by non-Christian folks (and in the case of the pagan folk-metal bands, I generally understand their attitude). So potentially Christian-baiting lyrics are not unusual to me, but it was odd to hear controversial religious topics on a progressive/power metal, i.e. "non-growly" band album. I also enjoy albums that make you think, as ToS does.

FWIW, I did read on Angra's website that most of the band identifies as Catholic, and Mr. Discernment himself guests on the album. Not that it ultimately matters, because Angra rocks!

Thanks for the compliment, and I also am a Christian. Each person has their own boundaries on what they're comfortable with and not. I have a habbit of scrutinizing everything I listen to, and sometimes jump the gun before I totally understand what's going on! I'm sorry, but I've never been able to get into "Christian" metal or rock bands. To me, with the exception of a few, they're usually not that good! I've always been a Stryper fan, but that's because I cut my teeth on 80's metal/hard rock! I don't care what anyone says, To Hell With The Devil is a great melodic, hard rock album! Anyway, I won't get into all of that, but I respect your insightfulness!

edgeofthorns said:
I'm sorry, but I've never been able to get into "Christian" metal or rock bands.

Same here. I have recently heard newer stuff marketed as "Christian rock" that wasn't too bad, but in general I've never gotten into music that prosetylizes anything. If it's good music, it's good music, I don't have to hear someone's political or religious opinion in it. Interestingly, one of the most spiritual songs I have ever heard is the one quoted in your tagline there - and that doesn't really endorse any particular religious viewpoint. I also feel the same way about Orphaned Land's "Mabool."

As for Stryper, they were the first "metal" band I saw live (well, ok, Hurricane was the first since they were the opening act ;) ). I hadn't heard Stryper in years, but one day I was in a music store when the clerks put on a Stryper album to be "ironic." Sure, they had their sugary sweet moments that were pretty horrible, but I think that they had an overlooked impact on the "happier" power metal bands such as Freedom Call. The way they blended hard rock/metal with uplifting harmonies was more ahead of its time than I had ever realized.

er....yeah, um.....getting back on topic....

SyXified said:
To me, Angra is supposed to be that happier, bright sound like Carry On and not so much the darker sound featured on ToS.

All I can say is fuck that! :tickled:

The best thing that ever happened to Angra was Matos leaving and taking all that happy happy shit with him.

JayKeeley said:
er....yeah, um.....getting back on topic....

All I can say is fuck that! :tickled:

The best thing that ever happened to Angra was Matos leaving and taking all that happy happy shit with him.

I could not disagree with you more. Andre Matos was a siganture of Angra and although Edu doesn't sound too far off from him at times, I was very dissapointed when I heard Matos was out. Holy Land is one of the greatest metal albums ever released and by far Angra's masterpiece to date. The man added so much to the band (lyrically and musically). I'm not saying that they have not survived his loss because obviously they have and are thriving just the same, but I wouldn't go so far as to say Matos leaving was the best for the band.

Well that's cool, but I'm just saying that Rebirth and Temple of Shadows are the best two Angra albums yet, so mathematically at least, it all adds up.

And before anyone asks, I started with Holy Land so it's not like I went backwards.

Ruthven said:
Angra is one of those bands that I never really heard before, so I picked up their latest release "Temple of Shadows." Musically I love it, the lyrics are kind of odd (I wonder if I should know more about gnosticism and medieval heresy to truly "get" it). I was just wondering other people's take on it.

I love ToS ... my fave of 2004 and one of my Top 10 (and I'm OLD) of all time ... the guitar work is stunning ... and Aquiles Priester is a monster.

ToS still hasn't left my player. I am glad that I will be seeing Angra on support for this album.

Incidentally, some have commented on the album's "dark" tone as opposed to earlier Angra releases. I like happy power metal, but the "dark tone" might be what kind of appealed to me about this particular album. I'll check out some of Angra's other albums when I get the chance.

Ruthven said:
Same here. I have recently heard newer stuff marketed as "Christian rock" that wasn't too bad, but in general I've never gotten into music that prosetylizes anything. If it's good music, it's good music, I don't have to hear someone's political or religious opinion in it. Interestingly, one of the most spiritual songs I have ever heard is the one quoted in your tagline there - and that doesn't really endorse any particular religious viewpoint. I also feel the same way about Orphaned Land's "Mabool."

As for Stryper, they were the first "metal" band I saw live (well, ok, Hurricane was the first since they were the opening act ;) ). I hadn't heard Stryper in years, but one day I was in a music store when the clerks put on a Stryper album to be "ironic." Sure, they had their sugary sweet moments that were pretty horrible, but I think that they had an overlooked impact on the "happier" power metal bands such as Freedom Call. The way they blended hard rock/metal with uplifting harmonies was more ahead of its time than I had ever realized.

I don't know if you were at ProgPower V last year, but I could have left after Jon and the boys sang Believe and been perfectly happy!!!