Fav Angra Album

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
In lieu of upcoming performance, I was wondering what everyone's favorite Angra album was because they have so many. Having never heard of Angra unitl they got announced for PP, I am pretty unfamiliar with them. Though I have picked up Temple of Shadows, Rebirth, and Angels Cry, and I must say all the albums rule, I do believe that I like Temple of Shadows best though maybe because it was the first one I heard. I also downloaded the track off of Angra's website ''Hunters And Prey'', and this probably one of my top three favorite tracks out of Angra's vast catalogue. I will stop blabbering now.

Angels Cry = Great debut, very strong power metal with some classical elements and progressive ones as well.

Holy Land = Said to be the masterpiece, the great conceptual work on the Great Navigations Era, the discovering of Brazil and America. Sounds very tribal at times, amazing!

Fireworks = Last album with Andre Matos, sounds a little more straight forward with many proggy elements included. Not a lot of people are fond of it, but still good

Rebirth = The Rebirth of Angra, now with the new line up. They tried to keep the sound similar to before, but you can hear that the new band members brought a lot of technique and passion to the band.

Temple of Shadows = The new masterpiece. Great work inspired on the Crusades era, some moderated "bashing" (not exactly) on the Catholic Church. The most progressive album so far, with lots of Brazilian elements, always a plus on Angra. It's good to mention the special guests, Kai Hansen (gamma ray), Hansi Kursch(Blind guardian), Sabine can't spell her last name from Edenbridge and Milton Nascimento (not me, the other Milton), famous popular Brazilian singer.

If you wanna know my opinion on them, read my nickname... lol... I can't really pick one.

I think Holy Land has too much of a brazlian tribal sound, granted I like tribal elements alot, but the ones on that I just couldnt really get into. Fireworks I didnt really care for either, it is a good album but it doesnt compare to the ones I own.

I thought they had more albums or are they eps?

Although I think the entire Angra catalogue is listenable, i think they went downhill after Holy Land... the first 2 albums are among the best power/prog albums ever, IMO...

they have a few EPS (Freedom Call, Hunters and Prey, Holy Live and some singles)

I love 'em all. Each album has it's own unique flavor. They definitely don't tread the same waters with each release.

I'm suprised that Fireworks is not that well liked.

I love 'em all. Each album has it's own unique flavor. They definitely don't tread the same waters with each release.

I'm suprised that Fireworks is not that well liked.

Rebirth was the album that introduced me to Angra, but I think that Angel's Cry is my favorite. Fireworks has some good songs on it, tho.

I've been a fan since Angel's Cry, and I have to say that Temple is my favorite. I was never a huge Matos fan, but have grown to like the older stuff more now because Temple and Rebirth have just gotten me insanely into the band.

This is how they stack up for me.
1. Temple Of shadows- Awsome album.
2. Angels Cry- Excellent.
3. Rebirth- Very good.
4. Holy Land- Boring.
5. Fireworks- Skipped it based on the direction taken on Holy Land.

"Temple of Shadows = The new masterpiece. Great work inspired on the Crusades era, some moderated "bashing" (not exactly) on the Catholic Church. The most progressive album so far, with lots of Brazilian elements, always a plus on Angra. It's good to mention the special guests, Kai Hansen (gamma ray), Hansi Kursch(Blind guardian), Sabine can't spell her last name from Edenbridge and Milton Nascimento (not me, the other Milton), famous popular Brazilian singer."

I'll agree with this being their most progressive...and definitely my fav.

Easily Rebirth.

I bought Temple of Shadows and traded it in 5 days later. The music is fine, but Edu's "new" vocal style is just horrid compared to Rebirth. I like him best when he's clean and clear, and not trying to be rough and raw - it's just not him. To my ears, he was way out of tune for most all of the TOS disc.

this is what i wrote about "The Temple of Shadows", as the album of the year 2004.
(and "Rebirth" is "the album of my whole life") :D

i would say it's a masterpiece. i loved rebirth too much so i wondered if i could love more what would come next to it before purchasing in last sep. .. but the worry turned out to be a groundless apprehension.
i also love the theme of this album. This album is based on the strory of a knight crsader "The Shadow Hunter" by Raphael Bittencourt. When I first listened to the whole album, without reading any linernotes, just listening to the sound made me felt like I finished watching one long and good movie like Lord Of the Ring. Reading the lyrics and linernotes by Rafael afterwards, I think I could know why I felt in that way.

There are some good guest appearances on this album, and I loved Milton Mascimento's part best. His vocal sounds fully expressing deep and hopeless grief yet calmly.

I was most surprised by Edu's matureness this time. I think he successfully portraited many aspects of emotion through his voice, like Shadow Hunter's conviction, doubt, anger, sorrow, in the different style from what he showed us in "Rebirth".

Angra has been brave to get the "different" elements in their music and i think they succeed this time also.
it's not very "metal" if you seek aggresiveness into it, having a lot of brazilian and jazz element here and there. but i could feel the passion that they want to make a good one, not only for the listener but also for themselves and that's what i like most of this album...

(please excuse me if you can't understand what's written here because of my poor english)