Annette of Nightwish walks off stage!

Just to clarify, that was translated from the Brazilian boards, and posted on the NW Forum. I agree that it smells like the Love Canal, but that is the best we got.

"It was dark at one moment and then the lights were playing tricks on me .. impossible to see my fretboard at times ... I kept fretting wrong notes ... a girl flashed a boob at me, and I lost track of where I was at in the song. I just had to go backstage and try to sort things out, but I found that I just couldn't play guitar in that kind of environment."

With that being a similar situation, I do hope the NW Forum explanation is a hoax.

We have had singers sing with horrible colds and sound spot on(threshold a few years back at progpower, and so no), so the smoke should be no excuse, at least not in my books. If she is hurt by the smoke, then forget being a professional singer in a band that plays clubs. Singers and other musicians have done much more with being in pain or hurt much worse than that, so suck it up and just do your best, and at least come out and tell the crowd to stop smoking(I am assuming that is the smoke she is talking of), and explain and everything could of worked out.

If she lost her voice due to the smoke, how come she canceled the remaining shows. Granted I'm not a singer, but couldn't she theoretically get rid of the smoke at the concerts and play the gigs down the road?

edit: I thought it might've been a smoke machine. You can't really stop the crowd smoking in the metal scene.

If she lost her voice due to the smoke, how come she canceled the remaining shows. Granted I'm not a singer, but couldn't she theoretically get rid of the smoke at the concerts and play the gigs down the road?

edit: I thought it might've been a smoke machine. You can't really stop the crowd smoking in the metal scene.

Nightwish canceled the rest of the current tour????

Nightwish canceled the rest of the current tour????

This is from the OP article:

NIGHTWISH cancelled the last four shows of its North American tour — September 23 in Knoxville, Tennessee; September 24 in Charlotte, North Carolina; September 26 in Baltimore, Maryland; and September 27 in New York City — due to Anette Olzon's "sudden severe illness," according to a posting on the band's web site.

We have had singers sing with horrible colds and sound spot on(threshold a few years back at progpower, and so no), so the smoke should be no excuse, at least not in my books.

Exactly. Roy Khan is a prime example of this. Even though his voice isn't always up to par, he still does his best to try and give the fans a good show, even if his voice sounds aweful. I may have been disappointed the last time I saw Kamelot, but that man has an excellent level of professionalism.

Furthermore, Mathias Blad sang at Wacken with a horrible head cold, and sounded pretty damn good, if the live video for Upon the Grave of Guilt is any indicator (anyone who was there, did you see Falconer's performance?) Singing with a horrid head cold is no fun, I can tell you this from experience (I auditioned for local musical theater with a head cold) and yet Mathias still got on stage and sang!

Until an official statement is released, everything is speculation at this point. For all we know, something aweful was going on in her life. But then again, maybe not. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Exactly. Roy Khan is a prime example of this. Even though his voice isn't always up to par, he still does his best to try and give the fans a good show, even if his voice sounds aweful. I may have been disappointed the last time I saw Kamelot, but that man has an excellent level of professionalism.

Furthermore, Mathias Blad sang at Wacken with a horrible head cold, and sounded pretty damn good, if the live video for Upon the Grave of Guilt is any indicator (anyone who was there, did you see Falconer's performance?) Singing with a horrid head cold is no fun, I can tell you this from experience (I auditioned for local musical theater with a head cold) and yet Mathias still got on stage and sang!

Until an official statement is released, everything is speculation at this point. For all we know, something aweful was going on in her life. But then again, maybe not. We'll all just have to wait and see.

Even when he was falling down drunk, Michael Schenker always attempted to finish his shows. Horrible as he sounded, there were nights his band had to throw him off stage.

:lol:
You know it's bad when your band has to throw you offstage.

Though I don't consider being drunk off your ass on stage to be very professional. Though this seems to be more acceptible, for some reason.

That above is the official statement and apology signed by Anette Olzon which the producer of the show in Belo Horizonte received from the band's management. (Originally published on in Portuguese at metalcube.com)

Many vocalists have it on their raiders: no stage smoke allowed because the chemicals are not always the same and may cause surprises. It's not rare that stage smoke can cause irritation, even unbearable pain to vocalists if inhaled excessively. If you look at Anette's performance just before she quit and walked away, she was sitting down on the edge of the stage for a long time (the song Poet and... lasts 14 minutes) and the smoke flows thickest near the floor. As a pro performer she should have known better and avoided such a situation, and of course we can be smartasses on these boards and tell her afterwards what to do next time.

Anyways, she is in top shape again as you can hear from this clip of the band opening the show last night at Brasília, Brazil with Bye Bye Beautiful.

Bye Bye Beautiful

Note to Anette: never, NEVER EVER go see The Sisters of Mercy in concert. :heh:

(I just got back from hearing them. Note that I did not say "seeing" them.)

Where's the photos?

:Smokedev:

Well, I don't know about being a vocalist, but I find smoke machines unbearable. I was at a Halloween party in a studio in NYC a couple weeks ago and after 20 minutes of smoke, I couldn't speak, but then again, many of you know of the strength (lack) of my vocal chords. I'm just glad to see she's better. I really hope that's all it was, though I must say, I'm not entirely convinced.

Kiitos, Petri! :worship::worship:

BTW, much difference a day makes. Here is Poet and the Pendulum from the same show.

Last edited by a moderator:
So what if it's a fake or b.s. reason. She doesn't have to share a private matter if she doesn't want to, but at least she apologized to the fans. That's the real issue.

I second this. You were not there, you are not involved. Sometimes, people leave work sick. It happens, and I imagine the Brazilian fans were able to get their money back, or at least be a lot more respectable than the crap that some of you are saying.

I have no idea what Anette's troubles are/were..but as a professional, she should have tried her darndest to come back out--even if it was after a few songs. I saw NW and Sonata Artica in Aug. at the Palladium in Massechusettes..it was the second night of the tour--and loved the show!!! She was in top form--and as it was my 'first' power show ever...I am so glad that what happened in Brazil did not happen that night!! After waiting for 3 months to see her.....I would have been irate to not hear the whole set. Unless you are dying..you finish if at all possible.....