Anthrax Plays Baltimore!

Meteornotes

Crazed Diet Coke Addict
Mar 12, 2003
Baltimore, MD
www.meteornotes.com
So Anthrax is out on a small reunion tour, and one of the stops was here in Baltimore. Since Anthrax is one of my all-time favorite bands, and they were playing at a decent place (Ram’s Head Live in downtown), I decided to go. Mary did not go, as this grouping of bands is much too loud for her (she’s also skipping the Opeth show next month – wuss!). There were three opening bands: Mantis (eh), Sworn Enemy (better), and God Forbid (and better still). None of them were great, and they all sounded a lot alike. I personally would like to see bands that would fit a bit better with Anthrax (like Evergrey or Brainstorm). But none of them sucked horribly, and they all played with a good amount of energy and were having fun on stage, so it was cool.

Then Anthrax takes the stage and shows everyone else how it is done. The band sounded amazing, the set list was damn near perfect (we could do without “I’m The Man) as many classic tunes were played, and they seemed actually BETTER than they were twenty years ago. And the crowd was insane. First, the place was totally packed, both upstairs and down. There was plenty of head banging, singing along (often the crowd was as loud as the band), and lots of crowd surfing. I had not seen crowd surfing in years (usually I’m at shows with about 100 people and/or prog shows don’t really generate this sort of enthusiasm), and it was interesting to watch people who had not yet been born when these albums were released rocking out to the tunes. There were also a good number of kids at the show. And I mean like 12 and under. And they all seemed to be into it, and not just drug to the show so mom could re-live her youth.

Overall, a pretty damn cool evening, and I highly suggest catching the show if it comes to your town. Much like the Testament show I caught last year, this was another reunion show that was totally worth it.

Oh, and for an interesting take on the show, as well as thoughts on what it’s like to get older as a metal fan, I suggest reading this blog entry from Brian Keene, horror author and one of the people I went to the show with: http://hailsaten.blogspot.com/2006_01_01_hailsaten_archive.html#113665863957143812

dt

I'm seeing them in Chicago on Friday. This will be the first time I'm seeing them so I am pretty excited. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like I'm going to have fun on Friday!!

Dammit Dave, you gotta email about these things - esp. when they're at a club that's literally within sight of where I work!

jaimek said:
Dammit Dave, you gotta email about these things - esp. when they're at a club that's literally within sight of where I work!

For some reason, I thought I had mentioned this to you at one point. I was actually looking around the crowd to see if you were there, though the place was so damn packed that I probably wouldn't have seen you anyway. This is the first real metal show I think they've had there, and judging by how full it was, I'm thinking they'll have more shows like this at Ram's Head.

Any interest in Sonata Arctica next week? I wasn't going to go since Mary's in the UK and I hate driving down there and back by myself, but if I have you to entertain me with stupid customer stories, I'll go...

dt

Hey Dave - were you on tour with Brian last summer? I want to say that we met at HyperiCon and in Atlanta the following week.

Brian is one of the coolest people I met last year, can't wait for HyperiCon this summer.

Good to hear the show was a memorable one. I had planned on going, but it fell on the same date as Finntroll and Sodom, which is the show I went to instead. I did see Anthrax in October though, and the show was perfect. :)

I know that Jaime knows this, I think I told you Dave, and I don't know if I know you BlackenedDawn, but Odin's Court is coming back to Baltimore for the first time in about two years! We are going to be playing at Mac's The Club (http://www.mdparty.com/venues/default.asp?c=3495) along with Division and Images of Eden on Saturday, Feb. 25!

This is a decent place with a nice sound system and decent stage. Its not in a crappy 'hood like the Thunderdome and there is actually parking there. Come support the local progressive/power metal scene in Baltimore that night! It is going to be AWESOME!!!!

Meteornotes said:
Any interest in Sonata Arctica next week? I wasn't going to go since Mary's in the UK and I hate driving down there and back by myself, but if I have you to entertain me with stupid customer stories, I'll go...

That's the 17th which is on Tuesday... I haven't seen my schedule for next week yet, so I'll get back to you on Friday when I see it - cool? Which reminds me, email me your cell number? I lost it when I lost my old phone in Atlanta. :confused: (jkimpton at gmail dot com)

^^The Opeth show for Baltimore is at the Recher Theater in Towson. It's not as nice as the Ram's Head, but it's OK. The Rec Room next door has AWESOME burgers! I look forward to that show, and hopefully I won't end up in the ICU after the show like the last time I saw Opeth...

dt

Dave - I'm fairly certain that I've worked it out that I can go to the show, but I still won't know the specifics (like if I have to work Tues during the day) until Friday.

I shall contact one of those Division peeps about tickets.

Have to miss this great show because of work!!! Wish they were playing Albany, for i would have to drive an hour and 45min. to see this show. Good to see Sworn Enemy back, touring again. Seen them with Hatebreed few weeks ago. Place was sold out, but to many kids for my taste. Crazy show, thought the roof was coming down!!

Meteornotes said:
^^The Opeth show for Baltimore is at the Recher Theater in Towson. It's not as nice as the Ram's Head, but it's OK. The Rec Room next door has AWESOME burgers! I look forward to that show, and hopefully I won't end up in the ICU after the show like the last time I saw Opeth...

dt
Dave would know the best place for a burger! At least I know you are also a great sushi fan too! When we meeting for lunch at San Sushi? :)

The Recher is OK, I just encouraged to see them finally booking some metal bands. Not crazy about that room since it is just a big box. No character about it at all. I wish they did more though since it is pretty much the closest club to me (30-35 minutes). The House of Rock is around 35-40 minutes, I like it much better, but their idea of nationals is most definitely not mine. I'm hoping that Ram's Head and Sonar become the Jaxx of Baltimore! It would be great having the stellar lineup of Jaxx so MUCH closer.

Rick Pierpont said:
Dave would know the best place for a burger!

Only because I married Mary! I keep telling her she needs to start a burger review website.:Spin:

Indeed the Recher is "OK". It's not my favorite place, but there's parking and it's not in a horrible location like Thunderdome was. I don't see a lot of shows there. In fact, I think the only band I've seen there is Crack The Sky, who usually plays there twice a year or so.

I've not made it to House Of Rock yet. Every time I look at the schedule, I don't see anything good. We'll make it out there eventually...

dt