Best metal/hard rock live dvds

Yippee38

Living the dream!
Oct 8, 2002
Somewhere at 33,000'
Visit site
I'm starting to digitize my live videos so I can watch them on my HTPC. I thought it would be cool to be able to play live concert videos when we have parties. I haven't got too many, so I want to see what you guys think are great/essential live DVDs of hard rock and metal bands, especially ProgPower type bands.

I'm not at home right now, so I can't remember all of what I've got, but I know I've got:
Operation Livecrime
All PPUSA DVDs
Repemption: Live from the Pit
Sonata Arctica: For the Sake of Revenge
Iced Earth: Alive in Athens

BTW, if this should be in the Lounge, I apologize. A mod can move it.

Cool thread, I would need time to think about it but several that immediately come to mind for me are The History of Iron Maiden – Part 1: The Early Days (love that
early Hammersmith Odeon show), and Judas Priest Live Vengeance, makes a great old-school combo. You said you have all the ProgPower DVDs, does that include the Jorn Live In America and Rob Rock Live DVDs? If not definitely put those in there as well. I'll get back to you with some more when I'm done with work today -

I absolutely love the Nightwish DVD Showtime/Storytime. Katatonia - Live Consternation is good but not on the same level as Nightwish. Trouble Live in Stockholm is pretty good.

Here are some of my favorites:

Iron Maiden: Live After Death, Maiden England
Anthrax: NFV
Rush: Just about any of them will do, but particularly Rush in Rio and Grace Under Pressure
Metallica: Binge & Purge--Seattle 89 show (the San Diego 92 show is also good, but the Seattle one is far better)
Alice Cooper: The Nightmare Returns (86 reunion tour)
KISS: Animalize Live, KISStory Vol 2 (has a pretty good Detroit gig from the Hot in the Shade tour)
Judas Priest--Live: A bit sterile, but it's a solid Dallas show from the Turbo tour.
Sammy Hagar: I can't remember the name, but I think it's titled the Cabo Wabo Birthday Bash
Van Halen: Live Without a Net (The pinnacle of the Van Hagar years when they were still fresh--and talking to teach other)
AC/DC: Live (awesome show recorded at Donnington on the Razor's Edge tour).

Malmsteen, Live in Leningrad & Live in Brazil
Harem Scarem....a couple live dvds.....and shortly a Live Blu Ray!!
PC69 Live in Karlsruhe
Redemption has a couple live dvds...i think those r musts
Amorphis Forging the Land of Thousand Lakes blu ray
D-A-D Scare Yourself Alive
Gothard Made in Switzerland
Kamelot Live
Need just put out their live dvd from PP

Some of my favorites:

Evergrey -- A Night to Remember
Kamelot -- One Cold Winter's Night
Nevermore -- The Year of the Voyager
Pagan's Mind -- Live Equation and Full Circle
Pretty Maids -- It Comes Alive (packaged with audio CDs, I don't think it is available as a separate DVD)
Iron Maiden -- Live After Death (happily made before Steve Harris' current nausea-inducing editing on the latest videos)
Rush -- Rush in Rio
Styx -- Return to Paradise (I know, not metal, but a great show featuring the reunion of the classic lineup in 1996, minus drummer John Panazzo who was sadly too ill to tour)
Helloween -- High Live
Heaven and Hell -- Live From Radio City Music Hall (I was at the recording of this -- phenomenal show)

Steph

Pagan's Mind - Full Circle Live at Center Stage
Manowar - Hell on Earth V
AC/DC - Live at River Plate
Sabaton - Swedish Empire Live
Nightwish - Showtime, Storytime
Heaven and Hell - Live from Radio City Music Hall
Rainbow - Live in Munich 1977
Zebra - The DVD

Excellent suggestions so far! Thanks all!

You said you have all the ProgPower DVDs, does that include the Jorn Live In America and Rob Rock Live DVDs? If not definitely put those in there as well. I'll get back to you with some more when I'm done with work today -

I was not including any DVDs released by bans themselves, but recorded at PP.

Kamelot - One Cold Winter's Night
Sabaton - Swedish Empire Live
Avantasia - The Flying Opera
Edguy - Fucking with F***
Stratovarius - Under Flaming Winter Skies

Excellent suggestions so far! Thanks all!

I was not including any DVDs released by bans themselves, but recorded at PP.

Sorry, meant to get back to you last night on this but got distracted :)

The Redemption and Primal Fear DVDs recorded at PP are good, I'd also put those in the collection - otherwise I would echo a lot of what has already been suggested (I'll include below what I especially like); not sure if your taste in hard rock/metal is similar to mine but if you like the older stuff I'd definitely recommend:

Dio - Special From The Spectrum and Sacred Heart Live
Michael Schenker - Temple Of Rock Live In Europe
Scorpions - Live At Wacken and A Savage Crazy World
Rush - any of 'em but I really like Exit Stage Left
Yngwie Malmsteen - Live in Leningrad and Live in Brazil
Europe - Live In Sweden 1986
Heaven & Hell - Live From Radio City Music Hall
Accept - Live In Chile
Racer X - Snowball Of Doom
Loudness - Eurobounds and The Soldiers Just Came Back (if you can find them for a reasonable price)

As for the newer stuff, certainly Evergrey - A Night To Remember and
Pagan's Mind - Live Equation (haven't seen Full Circle yet but I was at that show so I'm sure it's good) should be in there.

That's enough for now, we've probably stretched your wallet to the breaking point with all this but maybe it will give you some ideas for things you can check into...

Not mentioned yet....

Devin Towsend- The Retinal Circus
Anathema- Universal
Dream Theater - Live at Budokan
Jeff Scott Soto- The JSS Queen Concert: Live at the Queen Convention 2003

Not mentioned yet....

Devin Towsend- The Retinal Circus
Anathema- Universal
Dream Theater - Live at Budokan
Jeff Scott Soto- The JSS Queen Concert: Live at the Queen Convention 2003

Yes, forgot about all those cool Dream Theater DVDs, Live At Budokan is excellent and I also love Metropolis 2000: Scenes From New York and Score; I need to see that Jeff Scott Soto one...

I don't know if this would qualify for your list, but just about any DVD with Queen rocks. I really dug their Wembley Stadium 86 DVD, but their early 80's show from Montreal is also pretty good (especially because it also included their Live Aid performance, also at Wembely).

This might be a bit sleepy for parties, but this DVD got the most plays for me recently due to the sheer awesomeness of PT's Gavin Harrison on drums:
Porcupine Tree - Anesthetize
And...
Riverside - Reality Dream