Best Vocals

Metman

Buffalo Bills /Mets/Rangers Fan
Jan 19, 2006
Long Island
This was probably done before, But I think one of the best voices in rock is,
Eddie Vedder ( Pearl Jam):headbang: ( Male Only)

I don't usually dwell on quality of vocals as long as they are of a certain standard. But I was listening to Galahad's Empires Never Last last week and thought their vocalist is really very good. Not distinctive really, but he made me take notice. Don't even know his name.

I don't usually dwell on quality of vocals as long as they are of a certain standard. But I was listening to Galahad's Empires Never Last last week and thought their vocalist is really very good. Not distinctive really, but he made me take notice. Don't even know his name.

Stuart Nicholson :D

I always felt James Dewar's vocals on Robin Trower's Bridge Of Sighs album helped make it a masterpiece.

The late Ronnie James Dio deserves a mention, his voice aged incredibly well.

I'm also on the Tommy Karevik (Seventh Wonder) bandwagon, dude's got great pipes.

And don't forget everyone who ever sang for Deep Purple :D

For me the gold standard was Greg Lake in the 70s (actually up through ELPowell).

I'd agree about Dio and Jimmy Dewar.

Big fan of Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, Francesco Di Giacomo.

For me the gold standard was Greg Lake in the 70s (actually up through ELPowell).

I'd agree about Dio and Jimmy Dewar.

Big fan of Peter Gabriel, Bryan Ferry, Francesco Di Giacomo.

I thought I was the only one who bought the (ELPowell) :)tickled:On cassette )

I thought I was the only one who bought the (ELPowell) :)tickled:On cassette )
ELPowell is a GREAT album! I also bought it on cassette, from a bargain bin at Tower Records in the late '90s. I discovered a lot of my favorite bands by looting their cheap tape selection, it was the medium of my youth :D

So many good vocalists out there but I think Geoff Tate definitely deserves a mention.
I also dig Chris Cornell's voice.

Impossible to pin it down to just one, here are some of the best, IMO.

Ronnie James Dio
David Byron (Uriah Heep)
Steve Walsh (as mentioned, from the 70's...not today) (Kansas)
Fabio Leone (Rhapsody)
Russell Allen (Symphony X)
Devon Graves (Psychotic Waltz)
Mark Farner (Grand Funk)

My faves in no particular order:

Steve Walsh
Peter Hammill
Greg Lake
Annie Haslam
Justin Hayward
David Coverdale
Ronnie James Dio
David Pack
Fish
Rob Halford

:wave:

I have to agree with Ken on Greg Lake, Peter Gabriel and Bryan Ferry.

Keeping with a "rock" style vocalist, I've always enjoyed:

Robert Plant
Paul Rodgers (Free days)
Roger Daltrey
Martin Turner (Wishbone Ash)
Ian Anderson
Bono

Mine depend on the mood:

Tom Englund (Evergrey) (same as PG)
Peter Gabriel - Love his tone and emotion he puts out
James LaBrie's vocals when he is doing the ballads.
Ray Alder in Redemption and some of the FW tracks (not all of them though).
Jonas Renske (Katatonia) - Loved his voice in Night is the New Day
Russell Allen - (Symphony X) I think he's the best metal vocalist out there
Simone Simmons - Angelic voice
Jorn Lande - He's up there with Russell

To add a few no one else has mentioned:

I've always loved Kelly Carpenter (ex-Beyond Twilight, ex-Outworld, currently with Darkology). He has such a dark and sinister sound, coupled with an amazing range. Definitely not for everyone though. I'm also a big fan of Rody Walker of Protest the Hero, that guy is extremely versatile...also not for everyone, heh.

A couple others I love are Ilja Jalkanen (ex-Kiuas, real shame he left the band recently :() and Myles Kennedy (Alter Bridge and did a few songs on Slash's latest album).

Kelly Carpenter needs to dial it down. He's a good singer but too over the top sometimes. For metal I dig Erik Rosvold (ex-Zero Hour, now fronting Cynthesis). When Ray Alder isn't hitting the Lucky Strikes I love his voice. Russell Allen is a monster.

Female vocalists: Annie Haslam, Sharon Den Adel, Charlotte Wessels, Simone Simons, Floor Jansen are some I could listen to all day long.

Here's a few off-the-wall choices: old timers Allan Clarke and Burton Cummings. Clarke's vocal on "Long Cool Woman" is incredible. I really liked Bill Esposito from Crucible; I wish he was still singing for somebody. A current singer I absolutely love is Arno Menses from Subsignal.

Let's not forget Devin Townsend. His clean singing is outstanding but I love all the facets of his voice, screams and all.

Mickael from Opeth also has one of the best growls in the biz but his clean voice is very warm and smooth. One of my favorites for sure. His vox on the Damnation album were fantastic.

For femal singers on the oppostite end of the spectrum, I love Ann Wilson's voice. I think she still sounds great.