Better Know A Band: Get To Know Your 2011 Lineup

Mosquito

oh noes!!
Jan 23, 2002
Columbia, SC, USA
www.myspace.com
I thought I would do a compilation style post to keep track of all of the different "Better Know A Band" threads that myself and others have written up. Since there are quite a few bands, and we don't want to take up so many sticky topics. However, I also don't want to see the threads fade into obscurity and people new to the bands either don't know about the threads, or they have to try to find them.

But before I link the various threads, I just wanted to take a quick moment and explain why I've done these.

I've been going to ProgPower since the second incarnation back in 2001. I've seen the festival go through it's various ups and downs, and I've had a blast every year. However, the one thing that has always stood out to me was:

The Rage effect: Okay, so technically what I'm going to explain isn't what we would all call the Rage effect, but it works for the sake of this thread. Rage has like, 100 or so albums, maybe 102 with their latest release? I know that a lot of people want to check out a band, but they see their back catalogue is so enormous that they give up on listening because it's just too overwhelming. Being that one of my favourite bands ever is Therion, and knowing that their catalogue is also quite large, I wanted to find a way to ease people into the band so that they could be prepared for the band and potentially be an excited new fan. I also felt that Arcturus needed some kind of information as the general PP public is mostly unaware of these guys. Voyager also needed love. For those new to PP, the actual Rage effect was when Rage was booked at PPIV and people left before they went on and they played to an extremely small crowd. I do think their discography being so large was partially to blame for the situation. But the show was still awesome!

After doing the first two 'Better Know A Band' threads, I saw that they were catching on. I quickly finished a third one, and Palabra De Dios offered to take care of While Heaven Wept. Zod and AngraRULES are also in the process of finishing some, and I have a few to finish myself. So look here over the next coming week or two.

It still all boils down to building up excitement for bands you may have never heard, or rebuilding excitement for bands that have fallen off your radar. I hope that these threads will achieve those goals. If you have any suggestions for any of the threads or even this thread, please let me know.

Thanks to Milton, Zod, and William for helping me with all of this. Thanks to Glenn for the support! Next year I vote that you wear chainmail instead of a Hawaiian shirt.

Better Know A Band Series:

Thanks to all who are contributing to put these threads together. While I knew most of the bands save for a few, it's been helpful to refresh my memory on all the bands. There may have been something I missed even though I was already familiar with them.

The WHW page was my pleasure. Can't wait for those guys to come enlighten us all.

I would offer to do a Haken page, since I've become such a fan, but I doubt they've become established enough for people to know anything other than -- listen to their album and decide for yourself if you like their brand of prog. :)

Remaining bands:

LABYRINTH (Italy)
MOB RULES (Germany)
ELDRITCH (Italy)
RED CIRCUIT (Germany)
CREATION'S END (USA)

I think that at least Labyrinth, Mob Rules, and Eldritch deserve pages. These are bands that have 6 or 7 albums each that someone unfamiliar might not know where to start or what to expect. Need a superfan to step up here.

Red Circuit features Chity (formerly of Firewind). For that reason alone, they are going to rule. That guy is awesome.

Creation's End's album isn't even officially out, apparently. But I bought it at the insider sale. It is fucking class.

WHW and Arcturus are my *it* bands...who has the passion for those remaining to finish out this series?

Meant to answer this earlier, but yes there are people that will be taking care of the remaining bands. If there is one in particular that someone really really wants to tackle, just PM me and let me know. I'm sure we can work something out!

Meant to answer this earlier, but yes there are people that will be taking care of the remaining bands. If there is one in particular that someone really really wants to tackle, just PM me and let me know. I'm sure we can work something out!

No big deal...it had been awhile since we've seen a new one, so I wondered if there was one I could pick up, even though I really don't know much about them...