Blind Guardian Influence

oldboy

Oct 8, 2007
Recently bought the Evertale CD and started thinking about the bands that have been obviously inspired by Blind Guardian. Evertale, Solar Fragments, and Savage Circus all come to mind. Two questions:
1) What other bands would you include in that category: Persuader, Wuthering Heights (post Nils), Orden Ogan? Any others?
2) Who do you think is the best of the bunch?

See i only think Persuader because of their voices being similar. Persuader are much heavier and darker especially because of the harsh vocals and lack of keyboards/orchestration. Now, what he did with Savage Circus I agree with BG influence.

Among the bands mentioned here my favorite is Solar Fragments, but Evertale is growing on me. Savage Circus is the most obviously similar, but the music was written with that purpose.

It's a shame that Blind Guardian doesn't influence Blind Guardian. I LOVE their older, simpler material. They've gotten way too complex, symphonic, epic, etc, etc, etc

It's a shame that Blind Guardian doesn't influence Blind Guardian. I LOVE their older, simpler material. They've gotten way too complex, symphonic, epic, etc, etc, etc

I tend to agree with this statement. I haven't really dug anything they've done since Imaginations. Love everything up to that point.

I get my BG style kicks from Ordan Ogan these days. They take what Blind Guardian do and metal/riff it up to the max. Makes for listening bliss lol.

A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth I felt were too bloated and had a tendency too be overly "complex" at times, though Opera is slowly growing on me. I like the direction they're taking with At The Edge of Time, though. A mixture of the long epic tracks and the shorter speedy ones.

A Night at the Opera and A Twist in the Myth I felt were too bloated and had a tendency too be overly "complex" at times, though Opera is slowly growing on me. I like the direction they're taking with At The Edge of Time, though. A mixture of the long epic tracks and the shorter speedy ones.

Opera and Twist are about the only two BG albums that sneak into my much-heavier-than-it-was-when-I-first-discovered-BG daily listening.I love that huge epic sound. Not to mention Hansi is still one of my vocal gods. So much beefy tone on that guy!

Opera and Twist are about the only two BG albums that sneak into my much-heavier-than-it-was-when-I-first-discovered-BG daily listening.I love that huge epic sound. Not to mention Hansi is still one of my vocal gods. So much beefy tone on that guy!

Of course. I still love both records and count them as favorites, in no small part due to Hansi and that epicness. I have no problem with the individual songs themselves, and have no complaints if they come up in the shuffle. I just think it's a little too much for one straight listen sometimes. The remix of Opera they did for the box set sounds much better as well, in my opinion.

Also, I think they should be done both of the new albums they're working on. In the last statement they did, Hansi said they should be done recording by May, and he stated plans to finish the regular and orchestral ones at the same time, so we could be seeing two Blind Guardian releases soon. Hopefully a North American tour with at least a Houston date is in the works.

I love the new direction for BG. The bigger the better, nobody does that epic, massive, multitracked glory like they do. It's everything I love about power metal squared.

As for the OP, Damnation Angels? That big symphonic sound is definitely drawn from the Blind Guardian template. And as for Persuader, people who don't like BG's new stuff should definitely check out Persuader's first album, "The Hunter". They went darker after that album, the debut is pure speed metal that recalls "Follow the Blind" and "Tales". Never heard of Solar Fragment, but I'm going to have to check that out ASAP.

Will check out Persuader's first album (it is the only one I do not know from them). IMHO Solar Fragment's latest release (In Our Hands) is the one to check out, good stuff. In fact Hansi makes a guest appearance.[/I]

I thought Solar Fragment's "A Spark Of Diety" was pretty decent, though it's been a while since I've listened to it. Persuader's latest album is pretty good IMHO. I love Savage Circus as well, so it's sort of a given.

I actually really like Opera a lot, though I have never been able to get into Twist much. I haven't spent much time listening to Edge Of Time. I'm curious to see where they go with the next album....has a release date been announced?