CD-R

CDRs are the cds you use at home to record data or mp3s, or music.

Yes, they will play on your cd player if copied properly.

Some amazon releases are burn on deman (cdrs). They don't have the silverish finish on the playing surface as normal cds have. CDRs life's is shorter and may degrade sooner depending on the storage conditions.

Forgot to add that what I do is copy the original cd to a cdr and carry the cdr in the car. That way if my car is stolen or something, they will only take away the copies (learned the hard way on this one). Also, with CDrs I don't have to worry about scratching the cd. I can just burn another one.

Also, I'm a big fan of self-made compilations. So you can burn 8-15 songs into a cdr and just use that if you don't want to listen to the whole album.

I also do this cause my car doesn't have an ipod/aux port and doesn't play mp3s...only audio :(

Forgot to add that what I do is copy the original cd to a cdr and carry the cdr in the car. That way if my car is stolen or something, they will only take away the copies (learned the hard way on this one). Also, with CDrs I don't have to worry about scratching the cd. I can just burn another one.

Also, I'm a big fan of self-made compilations. So you can burn 8-15 songs into a cdr and just use that if you don't want to listen to the whole album.

I also do this cause my car doesn't have an ipod/aux port and doesn't play mp3s...only audio :(

CDR's are crap (imo).
CDRs are great for exactly the reasons Mullmuzzler stated. I **never** play original CDs in my car or discman. I immediately make a direct copy of the audio and shelf the original. I am very picky about people leaving their finger prints in the insides of the booklets too. Some booklets are really shitty you know...

a word to the wise
CD-R are cheap
beware the buyer
you might be getting a vinyl copy,
or just a terrible copy anyway

think about the Argent box set last year
all from vinyl including pops, and skips

worthless, unless you do it yourself

Hey Bob

You may get a good cdr. The key is the source of the audio. If it's direct from the master, you'll be fine. If the master is screwed up or if the burning process doesn't go correctly, then problems might occur.

If the audio is from the master, your sound will be just exactly the same as a silver pressed cd (original factory one). If the audio is from an MP3 source, then yes, the audio will be degraded.

on mw's example, the screwup was either on the master audio, or on the replicating process.

CDRs are great for exactly the reasons Mullmuzzler stated. I **never** play original CDs in my car or discman. I immediately make a direct copy of the audio and shelf the original.

Yes, I agree, unless you still have a cassette player in your car (like me!)
Why? Because I have a ton of blank cassettes & have an Alpine player that
rocks! ;)

I ordered a few CDR's (unknowingly) & they were junk; so I returned them.

Forgot to add:

I bought a cd from CDBaby, Water and Bodies (artist) and I didn't notice I got a cdr after I ripped it in my ipod. I emailed the band, and they told me the source is direct from the master cd, but they went for a cdr for budget constraints. It still sounds good though, but I felt ripped off cause I bought it for retail price (17 bucks)

Forgot to add:

I bought a cd from CDBaby, Water and Bodies (artist) and I didn't notice I got a cdr after I ripped it in my ipod. I emailed the band, and they told me the source is direct from the master cd, but they went for a cdr for budget constraints. It still sounds good though, but I felt ripped off cause I bought it for retail price (17 bucks)

I got one of those (not Water and Bodies) a few years ago from CDBaby. I chewed them out via email and sent the disc back. I advised them if they knew it was a CDR the least they could do was drop the price a bit. Charging full price for a CDR is ridiculous. They didn't have much to say. They also have a habit of saying the disc is in stock when it isn't. I haven't done much business with them in the last several years. :bah:

@bob

you'll be ok bob as long as you get the master audio good.

@DJ
what bothered me was that I wasn't told upfront that I was getting a CDR. That pissed me off