Circle II Circle- Burden of Truth

Harvester said:
This vaults in to my #1 album of 2006 thus far.

After three days of essentially listening to nothing else, I simply want everyone to know that I stand by what I said. This is exactly what I want to hear Zak do. FANFUCKINGTASTIC!! It takes a lot to truly get me excited about an album these days, but when one does it becomes a magical moment for me.

I'm having one of those moments.

Btw, anyone that doesn't think the track "Live as One" couldn't be on any Zak era 'Tage album needs their head examined. It closes out the story on such an epic note that my chill bumps get their own chill bumps.

Glenn H.

P.S. It's going to be a good year because I haven't even heard Oliva's new one yet. Woot!

I'm skeptical on Oliva's new one though after the first. The first felt all over in terms of consistency (Some kick ass numbers, and some that are forgettable) Was actually surprised I liked Caffery's and Zak's stuff better than Oliva's.

Good year for Sava fans for sure!

'Tage Mahal took a while to grow on me. I didn't really like the demos I heard, and I didn't get into the stuff at ProgPower... it took buying the album and listening to it a few times to really grasp the genius behind every single track on the album (much like that last C2C disc), but I like it every bit as much as the Sava back catalog.

And, for the record (Ben), Poets and Madmen was great, but it would have shined a whole lot more if not for Zak leaving. It's true that Jon made a lot of changes after he left, but a lot of the stuff he kept was written specifically with Zak's voice in mind. Not only that, but I can't help wondering if the album would have gotten much better reviews if it wasn't for the weak-assed concept Paul O'Neill wrote in at the last minute.

booB said:
It's true that Jon made a lot of changes after he left, but a lot of the stuff he kept was written specifically with Zak's voice in mind.

It's astounding to me how much of a difference using an unintended singer can make with a song.

booB said:
Not only that, but I can't help wondering if the album would have gotten much better reviews if it wasn't for the weak-assed concept Paul O'Neill wrote in at the last minute.

It was pretty weak, wasn't it.

Force10 said:
It's astounding to me how much of a difference using an unintended singer can make with a song.

Yep... which is exactly the reason why I think the latest Iced Earth album was rather poorly received as well.

I realize that I'm a total Savatage fanboy, but Poets and Madmen wasn't that bad folks! Granted, it's not as in depth as their 90s stuff, but still it was a solid rocker!

I'm happy to hear Glenn's reaction to this, because the last time he was this excited about a band lead to the Circus Maximus discovery! :headbang: I still haven't became less excited about those guys! :worship:

booB said:
And, for the record (Ben), Poets and Madmen was great, but it would have shined a whole lot more if not for Zak leaving. It's true that Jon made a lot of changes after he left, but a lot of the stuff he kept was written specifically with Zak's voice in mind. Not only that, but I can't help wondering if the album would have gotten much better reviews if it wasn't for the weak-assed concept Paul O'Neill wrote in at the last minute.

Fully agreed.

It's also in the same ballpark for me not liking FW's No Exit. I'm not exactly an Arch fanboy, nor am I a hater, but Ray was not the right singer for THOSE songs

Glenn I am finding myself completely agreeing with you (except I don't think it will be my top album for 2006). This album will stay in my rotation for a long time to come.

Iced Ray, I'm glad that you've brought this back up! I purchased it over the weekend and I've not stopped listening to it yet! :headbang: It will be one of my top discs of the year without a doubt. With that said, it's not a carbon copy of a Savatage disc though. That's not a bad thing, but it just goes to show that Zak has found his own sound building upon what got him here to begin with. He's embraced his Savatage days, but added more crunch and a different feel to his music. I hope you enjoy it!

Glenn, does the disc still hold up to what you said about it a couple of months ago?

edgeofthorns said:
Iced Ray, I'm glad that you've brought this back up! I purchased it over the weekend and I've not stopped listening to it yet! :headbang: It will be one of my top discs of the year without a doubt. With that said, it's not a carbon copy of a Savatage disc though. That's not a bad thing, but it just goes to show that Zak has found his own sound building upon what got him here to begin with. He's embraced his Savatage days, but added more crunch and a different feel to his music. I hope you enjoy it!

Yeah, I have read good things about the new album. I thought the first 2 albums were ok but nothing mind blowing but many are saying this album is better.

For those who want to check out part of the album for free, they are streaming four songs on their website at circle2circle.net. They've got some weird Flash layout which makes things difficult to find, but try to look for the "download" section. Four song samples (well done samples too) are available for listen.

Sounds great to me and Burden of Truth is on my list for the next haul!

This disc is okay... my least favorite of the three though. The thing is, I don't want C2C to sound like Savatage. I want them to have their own identity. That's why I liked The Middle of Nowhere so much; not only was it heavier and catchier than Watching in Silence, but it was also a departure from the sound Savatage was stagnating on for a while -- not that I didn't like latter-day Savatage, but it was the first time in the band's history that they didn't progress from album to album. With Burden of Truth, not only are C2C taking a step back to a previous sound, but also the concept of the album doesn't interest me, and that's a double-whammy against it for me.

I like the disc, but it's not anywhere near the #1 of the year disc that I was hoping for.

booB said:
This disc is okay... my least favorite of the three though. The thing is, I don't want C2C to sound like Savatage. I want them to have their own identity. That's why I liked The Middle of Nowhere so much; not only was it heavier and catchier than Watching in Silence, but it was also a departure from the sound Savatage was stagnating on for a while -- not that I didn't like latter-day Savatage, but it was the first time in the band's history that they didn't progress from album to album. With Burden of Truth, not only are C2C taking a step back to a previous sound, but also the concept of the album doesn't interest me, and that's a double-whammy against it for me.

I like the disc, but it's not anywhere near the #1 of the year disc that I was hoping for.

Well, that's the thing for me, I don't think they sound like a carbon copy of Savatage. Of course there are elements of the sava sound, but CIIC has their own thing going as well. I recommend you spinning the disc a few more times before you come to full conclusion. As for the storyline, it doesn't interest me in the slightest either. I've always dug Savatage lyrics to no end though. I'm learning to ignore lyrics and just listen to the music and appreciate vocal abilities with most bands these days.

booB said:
'Tage Mahal took a while to grow on me. I didn't really like the demos I heard, and I didn't get into the stuff at ProgPower... it took buying the album and listening to it a few times to really grasp the genius behind every single track on the album (much like that last C2C disc), but I like it every bit as much as the Sava back catalog.

I'm in the minority with you boB, as I like Poets as well. Too bad Mr. Jinya(sp) didn't sing on it as he was great live.

Troy the nomad said:
I'm in the minority with you boB, as I like Poets as well. Too bad Mr. Jinya(sp) didn't sing on it as he was great live.

Hear, hear! I remember wondering WTF was up with that gothy dude in the long black coat who had snuck onstage with Savatage, when they toured here (Fates Warning opened)....and then Damond began to sing. And realllllly get into it, to the point that he was visibly mouthing all the parts that Jon was singing, fist-pumping in perfect time, etc. All of the doubters I spoke to before that show were amazed when I talked to them afterward. Great performance! Nice guy, too.