Circus Maximus - Nine: My Review

I will admit, Nine was not what I expected so I didn't go all woohoo crazy after the first go round.... but the second spin I was able to just listen (instead of 'where's this!?!' 'why didn't you do that!?!?!) and I gotta say, I was truly blown away... The layers of these songs are enough to keep my ears busy n' happy for quite some time :worship:notworthy:worship:

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. It's my least favorite of the three, so far. I miss the crunch of the first two albums.

I will be the dissenting opinion on the dissenting opinion ;)

I said in another thread that I did not really get the praise for this band. I did not dislike their previous releases (I thought the 1st album was DT worship and the 2nd very enjoyable in spots, but not great). But given people's encouragement, I gave the new cd a shot and I have to say that I really think it is their best. It seems to me that the songwriting on this album is a lot more subtle and nuanced. Many of these songs have a unique melodic quality to them which is above and beyond what a lot of other bands in the genre are doing.

So if if anything, this release won me over.

This album must be listened to at a decent volume to really be appreciated. The production really can't get any better than they have achieved. My first listen was at background volume and I didn't like what I was hearing. Boy was I wrong!!

crossposted by me from SymX List, just to show similarity to thoughts posted above (this was in response to someone else that was disappointed so far):

"I had the EXACT same opinion after the first four or so listens, mostly
distracted and/or low volume listening..............

Then I got a chance to hear it at reasonable volume on the car stereo, with
subwoofer.................holy crap, this disc smokes. It's heavier than I
would have said after the first few spins too.

I understand your opinion at this time, but I hope that you'll give it a few
more serious spins before writing it off.

I'm digging it more each day. Wow."

:headbang:

I guess I'll be the voice of dissent. It's my least favorite of the three, so far. I miss the crunch of the first two albums.

I read this comment, and initially agreed, but then decided that I thought it wasn't really 'crunch' that was missing - but something was different.

Upon repeated listens, I think what is different for me can best be summed up as 'tension'. Let me see if I can try to explain:

The first two albums had a real knack for building tension with one or more passages in a minor key alternating with passages in a 'less minor' or 'barely major' key.

This CD has plenty of minor key passages - but the major key passages are 'very major' - very positive and happy-sounding, which instantly takes the edge off the minor key passages, and this edge is then rarely recovered in time to rebuild that tension.

That is why, to me, it is the 2 longer tracks (excepting the final track) that work best for me - there is enough time to turn happy, but to rebuild the tension I am used to from CM. The shorter tracks are good, but not very memorable for this very reason (possibly excepting "Used"), because of the above-described 'tension discrepancy'.

I hope that makes some sense - it works for me, but may just be confusing to others.

..snip...can best be summed up as 'tension'.

It makes 100% perfect sense to me. I describe it as that crescendoing vocal style that gives it the epic style ala Glory of the Empire.

This is a different beast of a disc. I love it, but I'd be lying if I didn't say I prefer the epic/tension vibe you described.

Is it just me or do two of the songs have strong Van Halen and Rainbow influences? To the point of almost ripoffs. I say almost because there are enough differences to probably avoid litigation. The songs are "Reach Within" and "Used". "Reach Within" has the same keyboard bouncy riff and chord changes of VH's "Why Can't This be Love" off of the 5150 album. Not the entire progressive song but just that keyboard riff. The other song is "Used" which borrows the guitar riff and chord changes from Rainbow's "Gates of Babylon". Once again, not the entire progressive song, just the main guitar riff. I like the riff but its a little too familiar.

As for the album, I haven't made up my mind yet. I am little disappointed on first listen. But I'll give it another few listens before making a judgment.

As a side note, the Japanese version is scheduled to include two live cuts from PP.

It arrived in the mail yesterday, and I have to say I was going in with really no expectation at all, and the production, the riffs and the ambience to some of the songs kicked my ass.

The songwriting and the musicianship is stellar... exactly what we've come to expect from Circus Maximus. As Glenn correctly states, the band has taken it to the next level in many ways. However, whether we call in crunch, tension or darkness, this album often feels more like a Prog Rock album, than a Prog Metal album. In and of itself, that is neither good nor bad... it just is.

On another note, I hope I get to hear this music performed live at some point.

I will admit, Nine was not what I expected so I didn't go all woohoo crazy after the first go round.... but the second spin I was able to just listen (instead of 'where's this!?!' 'why didn't you do that!?!?!) and I gotta say, I was truly blown away... The layers of these songs are enough to keep my ears busy n' happy for quite some time :worship:notworthy:worship:

I kind've feel the same way... now that I moved my expectations off of the table I can truly appreciate it. This CD is really growing on me... I will say that I think the vocals need to be more out in front. Michael's voice is very dry on this recording for the most part and gets drowned out by the music at times which is a shame cause he has such a beautiful voice.

I don't think his voice is too far back in the mix. To me every individual instrument (including the vocals) is at the perfect volume. Most bands would kill for a mix this good!!

I was kind of let down by the album honestly (having given it numerous listens on my daily walks). I took far more pleasure being turned onto The Magnificent's debut (by my 65 year old father of all people, as somehow it's release slipped by me!) with Michael's absolutely STELLAR vocal performance on that album. This album reminded me of Falling Into Infinity and it's weakness of an album trying to be desperately something the band could not be....commercial. People may slight me for whatever reason, but i dig CM and i still say that "A Darkened Mind" is the pop/prog/metal/single Dream Theater never wrote.

I will gladly put The Magnificient's "Bullets" over any song on the CM new album. Michael has never sounded better. And i always say don't walk the line, either be full on commercial or don't and that is my problem with the new CM disc as it was with DT's "commercial temptations" years back.

Well, upon first listen I'm thinking what the hell happened? I hoping this grows on me, but I hope I don't run out of patience before it does. This by no means is even close to the greatness of The First Chapter...:erk:

~Brian~