Circus Maximus - Nine: My Review

I kind've feel the same way... now that I moved my expectations off of the table I can truly appreciate it. This CD is really growing on me... I will say that I think the vocals need to be more out in front. Michael's voice is very dry on this recording for the most part and gets drowned out by the music at times which is a shame cause he has such a beautiful voice.

That was my initial impression ... why the hell are they burying Michael's vocals in the mix? I think with a talent like that his vox should be a bit more out front.

I'm not sure what to think of the disc overall. It seems like quality material, but I haven't come across those tracks that scream for me to play them over and over again.

Britt

That was my initial impression ... why the hell are they burying Michael's vocals in the mix? I think with a talent like that his vox should be a bit more out front.

I'm not sure what to think of the disc overall. It seems like quality material, but I haven't come across those tracks that scream for me to play them over and over again.

Britt

And THIS.

Half this album sounds like a slightly more complex "The Magnificent". I can't be mad at that since that was my absolute favorite album of last year.

Finally ordered my copy yesterday. I may be in the minority on this, but I'm actually hoping for a more Magnificent-ish commercial sound coupled with the ridiculous talent they have. That album for me just rules and Michael just KILLS IT vocally.

Finally ordered my copy yesterday. I may be in the minority on this, but I'm actually hoping for a more Magnificent-ish commercial sound coupled with the ridiculous talent they have. That album for me just rules and Michael just KILLS IT vocally.

You'll like it. The Game of Life, Reach Within, I Am and The One are all melodic hard rock anthems.

I will say that I think the vocals need to be more out in front. Michael's voice is very dry on this recording for the most part and gets drowned out by the music at times which is a shame cause he has such a beautiful voice.

This X 1,000! I have no idea what happened with Michael's voice on this recording. I can't imagine him being very happy with it, production wise.

~Brian~

I read this comment, and initially agreed, but then decided that I thought it wasn't really 'crunch' that was missing - but something was different.

Upon repeated listens, I think what is different for me can best be summed up as 'tension'. Let me see if I can try to explain:

The first two albums had a real knack for building tension with one or more passages in a minor key alternating with passages in a 'less minor' or 'barely major' key.

This CD has plenty of minor key passages - but the major key passages are 'very major' - very positive and happy-sounding, which instantly takes the edge off the minor key passages, and this edge is then rarely recovered in time to rebuild that tension.

That is why, to me, it is the 2 longer tracks (excepting the final track) that work best for me - there is enough time to turn happy, but to rebuild the tension I am used to from CM. The shorter tracks are good, but not very memorable for this very reason (possibly excepting "Used"), because of the above-described 'tension discrepancy'.

I hope that makes some sense - it works for me, but may just be confusing to others.

Well said. I agree.

I have now listened to it 4 times through, and I think it is great:Spin:. Isolate was a strong album, but this is better. There are plenty of changes in tempo and dynamics, which I prefer. The emphasis on the progressive intrumentation is back, but still with plenty of room for the fantastic vocals. Will be near the top of my 2012 list.

Five years took way to long, but very happy with this cd. Yea I do which it was a little heavier but this is a minor complaint. USED is the best song. Now I have to wait on pins & needles praying the new Kamelot kicks ass

I have now listened to it 4 times through, and I think it is great:Spin:. Isolate was a strong album, but this is better. There are plenty of changes in tempo and dynamics, which I prefer. The emphasis on the progressive intrumentation is back, but still with plenty of room for the fantastic vocals. Will be near the top of my 2012 list.

I agree it is a great album, I love it but Isolate is their masterpiece thus far for me at least. I really love the way Mats plays, his solos are awesome and he has done some of the most bad ass rhythms on this album. I do hear some things that reminds me of other bands though at time. I even heard a riff a bit like Night Ranger "Still Rockin America solo" at the end of one of Mats solos. Also a little Europe and alot of DT here and there but no more Symphony X, which I heard on the last two albums. Anyways its a great album still

Bear

Loving the album. Wishing it was longer. Will continue to be in my rotation for awhile. Way to go guys!!!

After listening to this for 2 weeks straight I will say this is my album off the year so far. It took a while because there is so much to digest but it is a beautiful masterpiece. My only complaint is regarding the vocal mix I stated in my earlier post. I handed it off to my father just to get it out of my CD player....:headbang:

I've been listening to it for a couple weeks now and have to say that I really love it! There's not a bad track on it. It sounds just fine production wise. I'm not gonna get all anal on the sound because if every album sounded the same, I'd get bored. It demonstrates an evolution in their style and the dynamics are there to make an epic album without being conceptual. All the songs resonate with me in some way or another. I'd go so far to say 'album of the year' , but that's just me. :kickass:

Why? Because everyone has to agree with you that his vox sound as good as they did on their first album?

Now that you mention it.....yeah :p

I didn't say that his voice sounds as good as The First Chapter but I don't see why people think his voice is buried in the mix. Yeah, it's not as "out front" but the overall production is light years ahead of the first two albums (to my ears anyway) :)