Classic Blacksmith material to be Re-forged

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
We are overly excited to announce that cult U.S. metal band Blacksmith will be the fifth release in the Heaven and Hell Records’ Lost Relics series. Blacksmith was number one on our wish list to work with and it is now coming true. Working closely with guitarist and main man David Smith on the project it is sure to please fan and collectors alike.
The release titled ‘Strike While the Iron’s Hot’ will contain both the Blacksmith self titled EP from ’86, as well as the full length ‘Fire from Within’ from 1989. Enhanced CD material will include photo gallery of never before seen rare photos, lyric sheets, and an extensive history and bio.
Formed in New York City by guitarist David Smith and vocalist Heidi Black in the early 80s, Blacksmith would quickly become widely known throughout the metal underground worldwide. Through demo tapes and underground metal fanzines the bands reputation spread quickly. They were also featured in many of the day's most popular metal and hard rock magazines nationally and internationally, notably Kerrang.
The band toured up and down the east coast throughout much of 1985 headlining and supporting many of the times best known metal acts. In 1986 they would release their debut self titled EP. Europe immediately embraced the band (most notably England and Germany). More touring, radio airplay and media coverage followed. But just as quickly as they arrived, so too did they divide and fall. By the spring of 1987 the original line-up was over.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRrNRiPOi-8&feature=related[/ame]
However main-man David Smith was not ready to lay Blacksmith to rest and quickly recruited new players and picked up where the first version of the group left off. Several gigs and demos later Blacksmith signed with Tropical Records in late 1988. Tropical Records released "Fire From Within" in early 1989. The band would hit the road to support the new release and played everywhere they possibly could. Once again Blacksmith caught worldwide press attention along with appearances on MTV and many regional cable access programs. The group would even have some of their music featured in several Fox syndicated television programs. With so much exposure, attention, and product endorsements it seemed Blacksmith were on a roll. But as the decade drew to a close so did interest in heavy metal or so it seemed. As the 90s began Dave would put Blacksmith to rest.
Over the next 20 years as the interest in true heavy metal began to rise again, mostly due to European collectors, so did the interest in Blacksmith’s rise. Fan requests, interviews, and festival offers steadily poured in for the New York metallers. All the while Smith was waiting for the right time strike and now in 2010 the iron is hot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well no one seemed to have anything to say here but obviously it got a few looks.
Anyway just wanted to mention that the release will also include a DVD. Today I just recieved a package of A LOT of material for this release. This will be the coolest thing I have done yet. This band was at the top of my list of things to reissue and it is going to kick holy ass.:headbang:
Also we will be releasing the second full legnth album as well that has never before been release, recorded in 1990. This too maybe possibly have a DVD as well and something a little more special in store for Blacksmith fans if all works out has planned.
Just wanted to mention this somewhere 'cause I'm so stoked over my package of goodies recieved today. It made up for The End not sending me my ordered Slough Feg CD.

This is a blast from the past. I saw the band a couple times after they relocated to the Albany area of NY, a little before they broke up. I was friends w/ the guy who became the singer in the rest of the guys post Blacksmith band, Freaknation; so I saw that "version" of the band several times. FN was not metal, more of a 90's style alterna/rock/funk type of sound. Pretty cool band though, and they managed to put out one CD in the early/mid 90's.

This is a blast from the past. I saw the band a couple times after they relocated to the Albany area of NY, a little before they broke up. I was friends w/ the guy who became the singer in the rest of the guys post Blacksmith band, Freaknation; so I saw that "version" of the band several times. FN was not metal, more of a 90's style alterna/rock/funk type of sound. Pretty cool band though, and they managed to put out one CD in the early/mid 90's.

In the package I recieved today from guitarist/mainman Dave Smith he included a copy of Freak Nation and his current band Bad Karma. I figured that FN would be far from metal, from one promo shot I saw I thought it might be like Tangier or something like that. I have not listened to it yet but will be getting to it at some point. Right now have a lot of Blacksmith shows to watch.
By the way there could be a possible reunion gig later this year it is in the talks, besides some other really cool stuff.

I'll be grabbing this badboy! I grew up in the same area as the band and even jammed on the drummers drum set at Trans World Music Corporation!

Such an underated band and a shame they didn't reach a bigger audience. Looking forward to this one!