Darkwater - Where Stories End Review

Great review Rick, it really takes a close look at the overall album as a whole. Good perspective on the quality of the album also.

Rick, I'm ashamed to say I haven't heard any Odin's Court. Stylistically, what is your band like?
lol! No problem... Hmmm... that's kind of a tough one because we are one confusing band! Some songs are heavy, some are mellow. Some are crazier musically, while others are a bit more simplistic. If I were to make some comparisons I would have to say I mostly hear: Dream Theater (but not nearly as crazy), Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Evergrey (Tom even sang guest vocals on one track), Oceansize, old Metallica, etc... Our new CD is out for mastering now and I think it is pretty different from our previous release, Deathanity, which is wildly different from its predecessor, Redriven By Fate.

Each has a marked improvement in song writing, performance, and sound quality. In fact, to be quite honest, after releasing Deathanity and knowing how the new disk is, I'm actually a bit embarrassed by Redriven By Fate now. lol!! I like the songs, but the disk isn't what I'd like to represent our sound. Just trying to keep it real.

Deathanity is available on iTunes so there are samples there. Additionally, I have many from Deathanity available to listen/purchase on my MySpace page (yes, I said MySpace - see my signature). YouTube also has a few clips that are either live or someone else put studio songs up there.

Here is a clip of two songs live at The Local in Marietta, GA. The video was taken by a frequent flyer here, Paul Cashman (Pellaz). It is one long video with both songs back to back. The first is an instrumental from Deathanity called Oceanica Toxica and the second is a song called Utopian Rust from Redriven By Fate.

Thanks for asking! I hope you like!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol! No problem... Hmmm... that's kind of a tough one because we are one confusing band! Some songs are heavy, some are mellow. Some are crazier musically, while others are a bit more simplistic. If I were to make some comparisons I would have to say I mostly hear: Dream Theater (but not nearly as crazy), Pink Floyd, Porcupine Tree, Evergrey (Tom even sang guest vocals on one track), Oceansize, old Metallica, etc... Our new CD is out for mastering now and I think it is pretty different from our previous release, Deathanity, which is wildly different from its predecessor, Redriven By Fate.
I'd say a blending of Pink Floyd, Devin Townsend, Counting Crows, OSI, Dredg, Tool, Yanni, Porcupine Tree, and Type O Negative - with occasional electronic sounds. And fairly unique sounding.

Deathanity was like Dark Side of the Moon but with lots of metal – sound effects, spoken clips, and all songs bled into each other. And the songs were long.

Human Life in Motion (the new one) is more song oriented with shorter more focused tracks. More hooks too I think.

ReDriven by Fate needs to be remixed with the last vocal recordings that were done in 2008…much, much better. :p