Do you have Food for Thought? Please enter...

Penne alla arrabbiata:

This is probably one of the easiest pastas to make and boy, is it good! Arrabbiata means "angry" in Italian, therefore penne alla arrabbiata is a spicy dish. "Angry penne"...

The following is the 15 minute recipe, as I'm sure you guys don't really want boil tomatoes for hours and hours and hours for the tomato sauce. If you want the homemade recipe, I'll post it later. This recipe is great for feeding lots of people in a short amount of time and is very filling, due to the penne pasta.

Ingredients:

penne pasta (Barilla is perfectly fine...we use the same here)
Peperoncino (red hot pepper...you can use the whole pepper and chop it into fairly large bits or you can buy the crushed red pepper and use it for seasoning...it depends on you)
olive oil
tomato sauce (again, just buy a normal jar of tomato sauce unless you want to boil tomatoes for hours)
diced onion (small handful)
salt
black pepper (optional)
paprika (optional)
basil (2 or 3 leaves)

Ok, let's start with the pasta; we'll make it for two people NOT on a diet. Believe it or not, how you cook the pasta will determine how good the dish is, even without the sauce. You want the pasta "al dente", which is quite bouncy; not hard, but not soft either. Here in Italy, we always take a piece out of the water and chew it to test if it's done or not. If you want to do it that way, you need to know how it should feel in your teeth. It needs to be buyont and bouncy, but not chewy or hard. It absolutely should NOT be soft or gooey. Also, you could do the age-old tradition of telling when it's done; the highly guarded family secret handed down by generations of Italians--looking on the box and reading how long it takes to be done. From memory, I'd say penne pasta is done in about 8 minutes, but check to be sure. To do this, get a pot you normally boil pasta in, it's going to be fairly large, but you probably know this as I'm sure you guys have at least done that before. Fill it halfway, more or less and boil it. Let's use about 300g of pasta, which is good for two people who want second helpings.

Put it on the burner. Then get a small handful of salt...yes, a small handful; just reach in there and make a fist with it and dump it in the pot of water. Not TOO big, but a good helping of salt. Add a shake of olive oil in the water to keep the pasta from sticking. If you want to use spaghetti, that's fine too, but NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVARRRRRRRRR break the pasta in two!!!!!! Stir very often.

As it's boiling, get a saucepan and combine a few shakes of olive oil (cooking Italian is an art, not a science...precise measurements are out the window), a very small handful of the diced onions, and the chopped up peperoncini, if you're using the real ones. If you're using the red pepper seasoning, just add a few shakes over the sauce as it's preparing. Put the onions, olive oil, and peperoncini over a medium flame and continue to mix and stir until the onions start to brown a tad. Don't worry, when it starts to smell really good, that's when you know it's fine. After that, add enough tomato sauce in respect to the amount of pasta. For 300g of pasta, I use about half a jar, maybe a little more. Stir in the tomato sauce with the peppers, onions, and olive oil, black pepper (optional), paprika (optional) and a couple of basil leaves and let it simmer. It should simmer on low to medium for about 12 minutes or so, stirring often. It doesn't take much to cook.

When the pasta is finished boiling, the sauce should be ready, more or less. Drain the pasta in a collander WITHOUT RINSING THE PASTA and put it aside. Now, this part is called "jumping" the pasta.

DON'T dump the sauce into the pot with the pasta; you'll kill the taste. Do the opposite. Keep the sauce simmering on low and slowly dump the pasta into the saucepan, stirring and mixing the pasta into the sauce as it simmers. This is called "jumping" the pasta. This process allows the pasta to absorb more flavor of the sauce. Ecco ci! Abbiamo finito!

Buon appetito!

1 large bag of pork rinds
1 brick of Velveeta Cheese
1/4 cup sour cream
6 slices of crispy bacon
1 small onion
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 jalapeno peppers
1/2 bag of chocolate chips (butterscotch chips may be substituted)

Place the Velveeta cheese and chocolate chips in a large crock pot. Heat on
low for approximately 1/2 hour. Crumble the bacon into small pieces. Dice
the onion and peppers on a cutting board. After the cheese and chocolate
has completely melted, add the bacon, onions, and peppers. Pour in the sour
cream and maple syrup. Mix thoroughly and cook for another hour on low.

Dip each pork rind into the fondue and place on a sheet of wax paper. Let
the coated pork rinds cool. Dip each pork rind into the fondue again and
repeat the procedure. Place the rinds into the freezer and serve chilled
with anchovies.

Test cooking for Christmas:
Boeuf Bourguignon. (french beef stew)
I'm having my parents-in-law and my mom and her partner over for dinner at Christmas eve and
It's still simmering now, but for the sake of this thread I decided to post some pics:

Baking the beef with spices and veggies:
20171112_140909_zpsx843gflh.jpg

Simmering in red wine and beef broth:
20171112_142632_zpsny2qpfhj.jpg

I admit, I cheated a bit with the wine.
If I strictly followed the recipe, I had to use a french Bourgogne wine. But since I'm not fond of french red wines, I used Carmenere. It's a french grape but grows in Chile.
I only have to fry some onions and mushrooms, those will be added at the last moment.

And after dinner getting ready to see W.A.S.P. tonight!

:popcorn:

Last edited:
Reactions: ~Lynn~
Looks gorgeous. Frankly, most of the time, I see friends cooking the bourgignon with bordeaux or côtes du rhône and it's just fine. The trick is to keep the money for the wine you'll drink :)