Double albums from Opeth?

requiem

I bleed sir, but not killed
Jul 6, 2001
Australia
So, what do we think? The new double album... is it a good idea or a money making scheme instigated by Music For Nations greed?

I'm personally not convinced that this is a great idea. It will probably work out well, but it'll be interesting to see. I wonder how a mellow Opeth c.d will sound?

I think it all depends if the double cd will be good (which it of course will be).
If it's a good double album, then i don't care if it's a double album or if Music For Nations are trying to make more money or something else...
The music is what is important! :)

And a mellow Opeth cd will be awesome i think!
Just listen to "Mordet i Grottan" by Sörskogen, it's quite mellow and we know Opeth are capable to write good mellow songs! :D

I trust the integrity of the artist. Opeth wouldn't be involved in the project if, in their eyes, it seemed like a 'money-making' scheme. MFN may on the other hand see it as quite an economic bonus with the two album deal... (everybody may well be happy)
I think it will turn out fine and I am glad that Opeth are all about progression and experimentation...neither here nor there (& not just for the sake of it).

I hope they don't forget about coming to Australia though... :cry:

im pretty sure the double album isnt a money making scheme, i remember reading on interiew that came out sometime after still life was released where mikael said he was considering the idea of a double album.

Yeah, it's not to make money (and lets face it, this is underground metal, it's not like they're going to make an extra 1 million dollars due to an extra album!). Mikael had ventured the idea, and someone from the record company posted in the General Music forum, asking if we the public would be interested in it- they were not sure if they wanted to back it, so wanted opinions. Obviously, the response was favourable.

i don't think its a money-making scheme. i remeber hearing that MFN actually opposed the idea of a double album when akerfeldt suggested it.

akerfeldt said that they were going to do alot of experimentation on these albums, i can't wait to hear how they break away from what has become the "opeth formula."

has anyone hear of the any lyrical concepts? i wonder if the two albums will be related somehow, like the Maudlin of the Well albums, even though i don't get more than half of Maudlin's lyrics.

well, to put it shortly: i'm anxious to hear what they come up with.

The only money making scheme im worried about is me trying to get enough money to buy both CDs at once on the day they are released!

I had some initial worries with different aspects of this album, but since then ive read heaps of Opeth interviews and no longer do i feel there will be anything wrong with this album, it will be Opeth, it will be perfect.

Originally posted by Misanthrope
You know when GnR relased double albums it was their top of their career but afterwards it all went downhill...could such a thing happen to opeth?

Now that was a money grab. I always thought that a group should try to make one great album and save the leftovers for when they run out of new ideas. Cheaper too.

if you take all the covers from both cds it makes a cd, so it really was just 1 cd of original songs.

And yea thats kinda the whole point, it was a money making scheme, could opeth be atempting such a thing? Maybe they wont cover the beatles, but it does seems like and odd idea.

Well, the idea of bringing out two seperate c.ds at the same time normally produces cries of greed from some factions. If it was a double disk single release it might be different...

Not that I care or anything, but they'll be selling twice as many albums as they would have if it was double disk release.