Dream Evil cancel PPUSA, Replacement Announced

Harvester

The Promoter
Sep 16, 2001
www.progpowerusa.com
Unbelievable.

The basic steps involved in securing a visa:

1. Complete the nightmare known as the “application process” here in the States. That is the most difficult part and is where bands are denied frequently based on background checks, etc.
2. Once approved, the band schedules their interviews via an online application.
3. They take the approval notice, complete a mundane interview process and get their visa stamps.
In ten years, I have never had a single band have a problem with the interview portion of the overall process.

Dream Evil found a way to screw things up for everyone.

The band was officially approved by the U.S. government on April 4th, 2011. I emailed a scanned copy of the approval the next day. I also mailed the actual notice the same week as well. The band received both. Everything is normal. I then check with the band on June 1st regarding an invoice for their visa interviews. I was told they haven’t scheduled them yet.

What?

Nothing I could do. They know what has to be done. I check back in July and was told they had an interview for the first week of August. That is still six weeks out so plenty of time. I check back the first week of August and was told that the interviews were rescheduled for August 18th.

What?

I emailed the agent on the 18th and was informed that three members of the band were denied visas. They evidently checked the P-2 visa type instead of the P-1 type that is clearly written on the approval notice and were thus sent to a different interview at the consul. They were then told that they could re-submit the interview application and do it again….but the next available opening was at the end of September.

Screwed.

I feel very sorry for the fans that were traveling specifically to see the band. Please direct your piss and vinegar at them, not me.I have little sympathy for them. They may have wasted a day, but I wasted a year. The band has issued the following statement:

“First of all we can’t describe our frustration in this sad matter. We can’t come to Progpower for the show on September 17 because we had problems getting our visas.We did all we could yesterday august 18 when we all took the day off from our jobs and went by car over five hours in the worst rain storm in years to Stockholm for a visit at the American embassy for the interview which is necessary for the visa.After waiting in the long line of people for over four hours at the embassy they told us that we had applied for the wrong kind of visa.We asked them politely to help us change the application so that we could get the right type of visa but they told us that we had to go back and do it all over again.As the booking for the interviews are made a long time in advance we then checked to find out that there were no available spots for new interviews until late September and that is too late.This sucks! We paid a lot of money for the visa applications and for the trip to Stockholm, all for nothing and the worst part of all is that we can’t come to Atlanta on September 17.At this time the American embassy has blocked us from travelling to the US before September 17 so we are not able to come to the US at all until after the festival.We’re so sorry and so frustrated and there is nothing we can do.To all the fans and the promoter at Progpower, we’re really really sorry. “

-Dream Evil

Needless to say, I have been scrambling like hell for the last 48 hrs...

I’m very pleased to announce that reactivated metallers Forbidden have been confirmed as the replacement. Kings of the second wave of the Bay Area Thrash scene, Forbidden were most popular during the late 80’s and early 90’s for their brand of technical thrash metal infusing odd signature timing with melodies, making them one of the most original metal bands of the time.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIza-0xFCyw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIza-0xFCyw[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:
Upgrade. My sympathies for the shit you had to go through though. And more animosity towards the United States government and its love to keep artists out of the country.

Forbidden is a fine replacement. Dream Evil was definitely the biggest reason for me going, but I will still be in attendance. This sucks, but what can you do.

Thats a total bummer. I was most excited about Dream Evil too actually as Dragonslayer was one of the first metal albums I ever bought. Nice work on the replacement though, granted I don't think I've heard of them before.

Edit: based on a quick 1 minute listen - I like a lot ;D

Not to minimize the hassle/grief/bullshit that you've gone through, but good call on Forbidden as the replacement band. Having a pure thrash band on the bill definitely adds to the diversity of this year's lineup.

Not to minimize the hassle/grief/bullshit that you've gone through, but good call on Forbidden as the replacement band. Having a pure thrash band on the bill definitely adds to the diversity of this year's lineup.

Thanks Justin. With a very, very limited number of bands to pull from, that did indeed factor into the decision. Hell, I may lead a pit as pissed as I am about Dream Evil.

Well, good morning, eh? Unfortunately Dream Evil was one of my favorite bands on the roster and I don't much like Forbidden. But I'll survive... Sucks for Glenn that it went down this way. Can only imagine how frustrating it is. Cheers to getting a replacement on such short notice that most people seem to be liking, even if I'm not one of them.

Well, good morning, eh? Unfortunately Dream Evil was one of my favorite bands on the roster and I don't much like Forbidden. But I'll survive... Sucks for Glenn that it went down this way. Can only imagine how frustrating it is. Cheers to getting a replacement on such short notice that most people seem to be liking, even if I'm not one of them.

Well said... this is about where im at.

Well said... this is about where im at.

Thank you both. I explored all realistic options and a U.S. based melodic, power metal band on the same level of Dream Evil in terms of instant name appeal on 3 weeks notice was simply impossible. I was shut down instantly on a few calls I made without even being able to make an offer.

Big props to Forbidden for stepping up to the plate. It will be a intense set and kick some folk's ass that aren't expecting it.

Actually, I am stoked to see Forbidden!!!! Glenn... thanks for always pulling an interesting rabbit from your hat.

Thanks Justin. With a very, very limited number of bands to pull from, that did indeed factor into the decision. Hell, I may lead a pit as pissed as I am about Dream Evil.

Hell yeah. It's been a while since 4-6 attendees moshed while everyone else gave them dirty glares. :D

Ugh, this sucks. I was totally pumped about Dream Evil, then they drag their feet and screw it all up. I feel for you, Glenn. Shitty that all of that hard work was wasted.

I'm personally not into thrash, but Forbidden seems like a good replacement. They seem like they'll keep the show's energy high as we go into the evening.

You deserve a free beer or thousand, Glenn!

Damn, Dream Evil were in the top 5 I wanted to see this year, BUT...Forbidden?!? Holy shit, never thought I'd see a straight up thrash band (classic at that!) at ProgPower. Good job Glenn, always wanted to see 'em back in the day and never got the chance. Way cool, "I'm off the edge"...

As to Dream Evil...I never understand why people wait until the last minute on things that are so important (like securing visas!), you simply can't go without it. If it was my band travelling, I would've schedule those interviews on April 5th, or at the very least the week thereof. If checking the wrong type was an issue it would've come to light way earlier and the band would've had enough time to reprocess/reschedule. Unbelievable!