Dream Evil cancel PPUSA, Replacement Announced

As to Dream Evil...I never understand why people wait until the last minute on things that are so important (like securing visas!), you simply can't go without it. If it was my band travelling, I would've schedule those interviews on April 5th, or at the very least the week thereof. If checking the wrong type was an issue it would've come to light way earlier and the band would've had enough time to reprocess/reschedule. Unbelievable!

+1

That's too bad. I'm not normally a fan of this kind of power metal but I was looking forward to their set. Will have to check out forbidden

This sucks for you Glenn!! While I was really looking forward to Dream Evil, you have an EXCELLENT replacement in Forbidden!!!

Damn, that definitely sucks, Glenn, and I can't imagine how many knots your stomach was in for the past two days. I was also looking forward to Dream Evil, but kudos to you for being able to find and secure a replacement in such a short amount of time. You probably could have taken the easy way out and just extended everyone's set times or moved a band from Friday to Saturday and we still would have received a hell of a show. I admire your dedication to the festival and the fans - putting yourself through hell to find a worthy replacement. I don't know Forbidden, but I'm eager to see yet another new band you will introduce me to, and I'm going to spend a few minutes looking on the internet for a Forbidden logo I can print out and pin over Dream Evil on my t-shirt.

Lastly, let me just add how sorry I for Jen and Sammy and the profanity-laced tirade that must have followed the receipt of that email from the agent. Has either come out of hiding yet? (Just trying to lighten your mood) :)

My understanding is that they do indeed have a new drummer. I have no idea if it is permanent or just a guest situation. I'll defer to the band for that announcement.

I heard Gene Hoglan was going to be doing their festival appearances. That'd be sweeeeeeeeeeet if he was there.

"If there were any way to find one drummer to do both jobs and learn over 22 songs of material in only a couple of days, we would do it. But there is no way to teach somebody all of that material from the ground up and give the fans our very best. Our first choice was longtime brother Gene Hoglan, and since Gene is very familiar with our current set list, this makes the most sense. However, he only has a very small window to work with and no time to commit to an entire tour. But he did agree to fly out to Belgium with us so that FORBIDDEN can play the Alcatraz Festival on August 27th! That works out to be the only days that work within Gene's busy schedule and it also allows us to get in front of as many fans as possible for one show."

Lastly, let me just add how sorry I for Jen and Sammy and the profanity-laced tirade that must have followed the receipt of that email from the agent. Has either come out of hiding yet? (Just trying to lighten your mood) :)

:lol:

Actually, my wife was even more pissed than I was. She knows what I go through and has my back.

Metal Sam...well he just shit on the floor and went on...

Glenn, kudos to you on securing a replacement within 48 hours, this must have been so stressful for you. I'm looking forward to seeing Forbidden in September. They need to play Twisted Into Form in it's entirety! :headbang::kickass:

Forbidden is a band that flew straight under my radar 'back in the day' when I was a full on Testament and Death Angel supporter. I never gave them a fair shot until they came through with Overkill last year. And when I finally did I was kicking myself in the ass! That is - after THEY kicked my ass all over the Masquerade!! \m/

It's great to see some warm fuzzies from the ProgPower community for these guys too. They certainly deserve it. And kudos to Forbidden and their management for taking what likely amounts to less than 24 hours to come to the right decision concerning ProgPower USA XII. Whoever the bands are that shot Glenn down in those early hours of scrambling - well, it's THEIR loss! hah hah!

While I was looking forward to seeing Dream Evil, I couldn't be much more pleased with this solid choice in a replacement. Thank you Glenn. Great job in the 11th Hour! That's a helluva rabbit you pulled out of your hat... a vicious, thrashy, heavy metal rabbit!

rabbit-woundwort.jpg

Dream Evil found a way to screw things up for everyone.

The band was officially approved by the U.S. government on April 4th, 2011. I emailed a scanned copy of the approval the next day. I also mailed the actual notice the same week as well. The band received both. Everything is normal. I then check with the band on June 1st regarding an invoice for their visa interviews. I was told they haven’t scheduled them yet.

What?

Nothing I could do. They know what has to be done. I check back in July and was told they had an interview for the first week of August. That is still six weeks out so plenty of time. I check back the first week of August and was told that the interviews were rescheduled for August 18th.

What?

I emailed the agent on the 18th and was informed that three members of the band were denied visas. They evidently checked the P-2 visa type instead of the P-1 type that is clearly written on the approval notice and were thus sent to a different interview at the consul. They were then told that they could re-submit the interview application and do it again….but the next available opening was at the end of September.

Screwed.

I feel very sorry for the fans that were traveling specifically to see the band. Please direct your piss and vinegar at them, not me.I have little sympathy for them. They may have wasted a day, but I wasted a year. The band has issued the following statement:

“At this time the American embassy has blocked us from travelling to the US before September 17 so we are not able to come to the US at all until after the festival.We’re so sorry and so frustrated and there is nothing we can do.To all the fans and the promoter at Progpower, we’re really really sorry. “

-Dream Evil
While we've certainly seen enough screw ups from the government, it seems clear this time it's the band's fault and I think it's really LAME to try to blame the American embassy. Who the hell waits that long to complete this process? I'm frankly irritated by their statement.

Can't believe you got put in this position, Glenn and major kudos for finding a worthy replacement at such short notice. Only slightly familiar with them, but I'll check them out again now.

Wow...

It took me only about 10 years to finally get into Dream Evil. :lol: I really disliked the band, but I was finally getting excited about seeing the band live (it would be really friggin' fun if I were to be drunk, :lol:) Unfortunately, I guess it wasn't meant to be. I liked the last Forbidden album and have to check more of their stuff. Can't say I'm as excited, but I'll definitely give them a chance! :)

Now... how the hell do you simply apply for the wrong Visa?!?!?

Your scrambling paid off, Glenn. One of the best thrash bands ever, and for those unaware, their technical guitar work should please prog fans/musicians. Actually a strong shred/Nevermore connection in this band, Tim Calvert (ex-Nevermore) played with them for many years, and now I believe ex-Nevermore axeman Steve Smyth plays with them. (Not commenting on Nevermore themselves, just that the standard of musicianship in Forbidden should please proggers as well as power metal fans.)

Awesome! While I was excited to hear "Chasing the Dragon" I was not really pumped for all the cookie cutter "I'm so metal" anthems. In my opinion this is a great replacement. Not only adding to the already diverse line up but also bringing in a veteran band.

This really does suck big time. Was really looking forward to thier set. Been a fan from day one. But have been an even bigger fan of Forbidden, new cd is awesome this will b second time to see them this year. So sorry for the headache you had to go through with this bullshit.

Dream Evil was one of the 3 bands I'd heard of as the announcement texts were coming in (let's face it, I'm less of an encyclopedia of metal and more like a children's book), and the one I was looking forward to seeing the most because of their campy-ness. Hearing how they completely blew off their responsibilities and now can't be there is fucking irritating. Hearing how they gave you a months notice makes my blood boil.

All that said, I am glad to hear you managed to pull someone who's up to the task. Fortunately, after familiarizing myself with many of the bands I can say as far as I'm concerned, losing Dream Evil isn't really a big deal to me as far as bands I'm looking forward to seeing anymore. And while I think it was glorious that you did everything you could to get them here, with attitudes like that from the band, fuck 'em. Bring on Forbidden. I'm not the biggest thrash fan, but I will enjoy them immensely on principal.