EVH 5150 III 50Wrecorded at 0.4 (yes, less than 1) on Master Volume.

Funny. I also made a little volume with my EVH test after reading your thread.
Here the difference was a bit bigger than in your clips.
I had volume 1.6 against 4 or 5. And the lower volume sounded smoother and more scooped kinda. The loud one had harder mids. Could also come from the speakers of course. I prefered the lower volume and will reamp with it now :)

Louder clip is better on your latest, GH. Power amp seems to compress the tone more - would let it sit more easily on a mix. Errant transients and cab/room flub on guitar tracks can slay you.

Also, the mids are way better on the louder clip - the tone has become more dominant in the lower mids, and the upper mids are less hard.

@bryan_kilco
The mic preamp gain is pretty high and as you can hear when the guitars are fading out, it really makes the idle amp noise quite loud. I usually reamp at a higher level than this to try and reduce the idle amp noise in the fade-outs.

This is more of a problem with vocals for me. I usually run 2 compressors and a limiter on the vocal chain and this really brings up the noise level. Maybe I'm compressing way too hard.

Awesome & smooth clips, as usual! With recent V30s... Damn man, how can you find a sweet spot in those?

Also, the mids are way better on the louder clip - the tone has become more dominant in the lower mids, and the upper mids are less hard.

Do you really mean "way better" ? I tested this quite a few times too, and I I felt the difference was more obvious on my clips than GH ones, but it was mostly the top end that was darker and tighter on louder clips. Would you really say you'd have a hard time mixing the soft clip VS the loud one?

If that's the case, I really need to find a new pair of ears on ebay ;)

Do you really mean "way better" ? I tested this quite a few times too, and I I felt the difference was more obvious on my clips than GH ones, but it was mostly the top end that was darker and tighter on louder clips. Would you really say you'd have a hard time mixing the soft clip VS the loud one?

If that's the case, I really need to find a new pair of ears on ebay ;)

He does and I hear it too. It's going to be harder to fit into a mix off the bat, but the biggest issue is that the louder clip I can guarantee will take processing much better than the quieter clip will.

Damn, I do like that quieter clip. Pretty tight. Power distortion really smooth's it out in the louder one but I did miss the midrange. As usual a well recorded cab from guitarhack! Think you should bring us Harley Benton impulses :D

hm...yeah, there's a difference from the lower to the louder one, even though I only listened to the soundcloud clips.

I guess the difference is similar to good ampsim+good impulse: initially it sounds cool, but somehow it doesn't want to sit the way you'd want it to.
Not meaning that the lower one wouldn't work or doesn't sound cool, it's just the difference I'd imagine it would make in the end.

And the squishyness/compression is more juicy on more volume. I'd maybe adjust treble and presence a bit for the more volume clip tho

well the fact that youre the one micing it does play a role.. But nonetheless for the volume you are using talk about a good practise amp. Thanks for sharing!