FREE high-quality drum samples!!

austinhue

Feb 28, 2011
Okay, so I made my own drum samples. I think they sound pretty good. You may or you may not. But you can download them for free, so really, what's the harm in trying?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6920288/FBR.zip

They're definitely more "metal" than Slate drums or Sturgis drums. Kind of a breath of fresh air if you ask me. All the drums are smaller sizes than Kick 10 or Snare 11, you may notice... the kick is 22x20", snare is 13x6.5" (with a sweet kevlar top head!), rack tom is 10x8", floor tom is 14x12". All drum shells are DDrums Maple. Oh, and the bell is a 9" Zil-bell =]

Production details:

All samples are stereo tracks.
Kick: Audix D6 and a couple of SM57s (yep that's right, one buried inside by the beater and another on the outside pointed at the beater... just to add click)
Snare: Two SM57s, one on top and one on bottom.
Rack: Audix D4 on the top.
Floor: Audix D4 on the top.
Bell: AKG C 451 B.

We also set up two overheads and an SM58 room mic, which are found in some of the samples. It's similar to the "Slate" format, but a bit different:

Z1: Close mics and overheads (spaced pair)
Z2: Close mics and room
Z3: Close mics only
Z4: Overheads and room only (for mixing with Z3's)

Each hit should match up between Z1, Z2, etc... so for instance, Snare_Z3Crack8 is the same hit as Snare_Z4Crack8, just different microphones.

Then the bell samples are just for fun, there's 4 different hits and I mixed the room and overheads and everything. They might be useful but I think they're kind of silly =]

PLEASE if you download, comment! Let me know what you think! Even if it's just "good" or "this sux, trash bin now", I want to hear your feedback please! And share them with your friends, they're free for a reason.

Yeah the room mic sounds artificial, kick is a bit too clicky for my taste. I'm really liking the snare though.

Gave them a quick listen and yeah the snare sounds very nice. Haven't tried them in a mix yet.

Thanks alot man, these are really good samples! I love the crack hits of the floor tom, not to mention that the snare is awesome too,
and the zill bell is just the nicest extra of any sample pack around. Thanks again, you just made my day :headbang:

You're welcome guys! Harley, try the Z3 version of the soft hits. There's still a bit of room tone but not as much as the Z1 or Z2. And the drummer is literally lightly dropping his stick on the snare head, couldn't be softer.

Also I'm not sure how the room tones could sound artificial, since they are real =] No reverb plugins here, in fact the only editing I did was with EQ and compression.

Thanks, man!
I'll definatly try them out.. only did a quick listen to the snare..
And agree that the soft hits aren't that soft..
But it sounds interesting.. I'll try'em!

It's the nature of the drum/head... it's a 13 inch drum, and the head is made of kevlar. The drummer is lightly dropping his stick from about an inch above the head, not even hitting it. Try using the soft hits in context, it will sound like the drum. If these samples don't work for you, then maybe you should use a kit that fits your project well. These samples work well for more metal work, like August Burns Red-style. If you're looking for samples that'll work with your TDWP cover, try a 14 inch snare with more snare tone and less head tone.

Tried the snare Z3 blended with SD2.0, sounds really good !

Here is my try : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6120012/Studio/Masters/PERSO/TRUIE Compo2 TEST.mp3
(it is a song I'm working on, so scratch guitars, not really mixed...etc).

And yeah fuck soft hits :kickass:
But I've noticed that snare Z2 soft samples sounds like room (Z4) samples.
Is that a mistake ?

Sounds good man! I like it.
It's not a mistake, the room just really takes over the hit unfortunately. If you put it in context with other Z2s it should sound right, but I would probably use the soft Z3s instead because there's plenty of room tone in them. We recorded in a gigantic room =]

Glad you like it, your snare is really good (didn't try the other shells for the moment).

Have you actually listen to the Z2 soft samples I'm talking about ?
Because there's a huge gap between medium and soft one, regarding the room feeling. Really sound like they're Z4.

I've made TCI's fot the snare, and I'm planing to do the same for kick and toms.
Do you mind if I upload and post it here ?

Glad you like it, your snare is really good (didn't try the other shells for the moment).

Have you actually listen to the Z2 soft samples I'm talking about ?
Because there's a huge gap between medium and soft one, regarding the room feeling. Really sound like they're Z4.

I've made TCI's fot the snare, and I'm planing to do the same for kick and toms.
Do you mind if I upload and post it here ?

Haha, of course I've heard them. This took about a week to process, I've heard them a lot =]
Listen to the Z2 soft compared to the Z4 soft, there is a considerable difference. I'll make a little demo of a roll from soft to hard with the Z2 snares... the soft hits are a bit indistinguishable, but it sounds great in the context of a roll. Plus the apparent room size stays the same throughout the roll, making it sound like just the velocity is getting higher. If you're not happy with the way the Z2s sound though, I still encourage you to use Z3 soft instead and put them together with Z2 medium, hard, crack. As long as you have some sort of bus reverb or at least compression on your drums, this should sound great.

Please do put up tci's! I would be grateful =]