General Prog Metal question...

MSPelata

Clouded Optimist
Oct 22, 2001
NC - USA
I quit paying attemtion a couple years ago when it all began to sound the same, but I am wanting to know if there are any bands who do the darker, non-power metally prog ala Fates Warning, Zero Hour, Ark, etc. I love those 3 bands and would like to find some similar ones...

Hmmm...the three you mentioned are a bit different from one another but I'll take a stab at it.

Investigate:

Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall Of Fame

Wastefall - Soulrain 21

Pantommind - Shade Of Fate

Perhaps some other kind souls will jump into the thread and make suggestions.

Ken Golden

Yeah, I knew those 3 were different from each other, but it was the only references I could think of. Those are my 3 faves.

I have Beyond Twilight coming in the mail this week. I can't wait as I am a HUGE fan of Jorn Lande.

I'll check those others out...thanks!

MSPelata said:
I quit paying attemtion a couple years ago when it all began to sound the same, but I am wanting to know if there are any bands who do the darker, non-power metally prog ala Fates Warning, Zero Hour, Ark, etc. I love those 3 bands and would like to find some similar ones...

One that comes to mind right off the bat is Green Carnation, particularly their first 2 CD's(Journey to the End of the Night and Light of Day, Day of Darkness). The 3rd one, Blessing in Disguise, is not quite as dark and brooding. The most recent one, The Quiet Offspring, is a bit darker than BiD, but not quite as much as those first two(which are killer CD's to boot). I'd suggest you grab one or both of them.

Everygrey is another one that comes to mind as well.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Yeah, Evergrey are a good band....they just never seem to "stick" with me...don't know why.

I'll check those others...

MSPelata said:
Thanks Chris.

Yeah, Evergrey are a good band....they just never seem to "stick" with me...don't know why.

I'll check those others...

Prog and dark is a bit hard to find....if you wanted dark power metal, there'd be a bunch to recommend :D

Chris

Awesome! Thanks!

I have Lefay's 'Symphony Of The Damned' and I love it! I need to get some more of thier stuff.

I'll check that link...

MSPelata said:

Vauxdvihl
Manitou
Redemption
Conception
Symmetry

There so much great music out there today that cross over so many generes that I can't put anythig into a category anymore, With that said, here are some CD's I've picked up lately that have just kicked my ass for one reason or another.

At War With Self - Torn Between Dimensions - This is not a metal cd, more prog and a instrumental CD, but if you like stuff like Gordian Knot, then you need to check this out. Micahel Manring's fretless bass work is outstanding with great guitar work by Glenn Snelwar and Mark Zonder on drums

James Labrie - Elements Of Persuasion - One of my favorite CD's so far this year, Now this is Metal, Mike Mangini on drums, Bryan Beller on Bass and newcomer Marco Sfogli on guitar, saw these guys on tour recently and Marco is a guitar player we will be hearing more of. James is in top form vocally and the cd is just full of chunk and balls!

You state "darker non Power Metally"
I find Porcupine Tree to be pretty dark at times, checkout In Absentia and their latest Deadwing. I've said this in the past. I tend to listen to bands and try to compare them to other bands that are registered in my head, but Porcupine Tree doesn't sound like any other band, they have been compaired to a modern day Pink Floyd at times and then their heavier stuff just has an edge. At first I just didn't connect, but then realized how great Steven Wilson is and his sense of melody. I'm hooked.

The following band is a must. I highly recommend anything by Pain Of Salvation. I would start off with their earlier stuff and then work your way up to their latest BE. If you decided you checkout BE, I suggest to pick up the DVD version first which also comes with a Live CD

Some of the other bands out there that i find are more towards Prog/Metal than Power are the following:
Dreamscape - End Of Silence
Mind Key - Journey Of A Rough Diamond
Vanden Plas - checkout The God Thing, Beyond Daylight and Far Off Grace which is my favorite CD

And if you haven't checked out the scene in a few years, check out Dream Theater's last 2 CD's Train Of Thought and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance, which have a substantial Metal edge to them, I highly recomend Train Of Thought. Songs like Dying Soul, Honor Thy Father, In the Name Of God are just metal masterpieces!