Heavy Metal: An Overview of the Underground, local news story

Palabra de Dios

Heavy Metal Weatherman
Mar 22, 2005
St. Joseph, MO
I finally put together a story about heavy metal for the station where I work.

It's centered around a show I went to headlined by Warbringer. I had a great time shooting this, and finally writing and editing it. I'm also very proud of the written form (which is different from the video form), so I'm posting both versions. Please take the time to view them both, and if you like them, pass them around to your other metal friends. Enjoy:

http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=239447&watch=1
(video version)

http://stjoechannel.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=239447
(text version)

My boss at KQTV is really cool. It was actually her idea to let me do this story, as I never thought it would fly to suggest something like this.

All the performance video was shot by me, and it made me think that it would be a lot of fun to shoot concerts (like the guys who do the ProgPower DVD) one day.

My boss at KQTV is really cool. It was actually her idea to let me do this story, as I never thought it would fly to suggest something like this.

All the performance video was shot by me, and it made me think that it would be a lot of fun to shoot concerts (like the guys who do the ProgPower DVD) one day.

I used to shoot lots of concerts back in the day....I would say over 200. Great times but it killed the enjoyment of going to the show since I was stuck in one area the whole night and couldnt really get into the show. But it is cool to look back and see stuff from decades ago and see people that used to go to shows and see older bands and stuff.

great work by the way.

That was pretty cool! I enjoyed the interviews and definitely all the great concert footage ;)

I've been behind the video camera for many things, from music to sports to lectures. I can say without a doubt that it's one of my favorite things to do on this planet - but not for an event I'd really want to experience. While it's a lot of fun, good camera work requires you to get rather wrapped up in it, which leaves little room for the other ways you'd maybe want to enjoy the show. I got involved with the local public access cable channel. Long story short, I did a lot of shooting of high school basketball and football games, street fair performances, in-studio interview shows, B Roll footage, and learned all the editing as well. It wasn't all super fun things I'd go to normally, but I had more fun than I could ever imagine and learned along the way. It's a lot of fun and I recommend it!

hah cool, you got one of the Vanlade guys on there. I hear they're excellent guys on stage and really cool guys off stage. Hoping to bring them to a Pathfinder show someday.

Great job man! Shared on Facebook. :kickass:

Dude, Vanlade are on their way up, dude. I've seen them at maybe 4 or 5 shows now, and they're great. Nick is a fantastic bass player and an even cooler dude...and they'll have their debut CD coming out really soon.