HOT SAUCE

einride

your best friend
Feb 29, 2008
what's your favourite hot sauce!?

it's REALLY HARD to get a decent selection of hot chili sauces in sweden, usually stores just have the usual varieties of tabasco (i love tabasco habanero and chipotle though) and louisiana which is weak as hell

sometimes you can get some of the blair's sauces but i'm unsure which is for me. i don't think i'm ready for the DEATH EVIL 666 sauces that are positively painful but i think all of the common brands are way too weak, does anyone have any suggestions or what :(

My favorite Tabasco is actually the green-pepper (jalapeno), even though it isn't nearly as hot as the others it has the best flavor. Sometimes that is key, finding a proper balance. Plenty of death-hot-666 sauces out there that just suck (though still can be fun just to try out of course).

I am no help :(. What are the options over there, or are you gonna order some?

In 'MERIKA we don't really have this lack of variety problem:

_mg_1609.jpg

^ Hot sauce specific store, which are not a rarity.

tabasco jalapeno is the only one i haven't tried, i know it's weaker than even regular so what's the point :) it's probably tasty but you know... it's supposed to be a hot sauce so if it ain't hot, it's not doing its job

_mg_1609.jpg

^ Hot sauce specific store, which are not a rarity.

see, this i want

this year i've started to grow my own chilis but it's not 100% easy in this climate. i will also try making my own sauces i think

erik, i dont know how large your chili plants are, but i have a tip for your climate. you must cut the bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and put it over the plants. you can do this with pretty much anything that has a similar plastic. that way you are having a little mini greenhouse...you can keep plants alive and producing. until at least october or november. if its not hot enough for them during the summer then this will help as well. as long as there's some ventilation you'll be a-okay.

I don't get it how people can love chilli sauce for example.
Once I was hungry as a wolf and ordered pasta with chilli at the restraunt... Well I simply couldn't eat it, as it tastes delicious like 3 first seconds after you grabbed it from a forl, but then here comes armageddon, like you're swallowing needles. Water doesn't help too.

I think the most tasty hot sauces are made by Georgia (country).

I don't get it how people can love chilli sauce for example.

because you are a total wimp

i have gradually conditioned my girlfriend into enjoying chili a lot, she used to not eat anything that was "hot" but now she does because i put chili in everything if i get the chance to

but now she does because i put chili in everything if i get the chance to
why would you put chilli in somebody else's plate? Ot you're the one who cooks in your little kingdom?

I don't mind stuff to be spicy, but this is just over the top.

I like extremely spicy hot sauce as well as very mild hot sauce, it's all about proportions. Often times the middle ground (like the green Tabasco) is a great all-around sauce, as it has superb flavor and a fair amount of heat. Some sauces can get the heat-to-flavor ratio very well even at higher temperatures though, Sriracha sauce for example.

sriracha-sauce.jpg

And, even when people fail at making a tasty sauce, just the heat itself is fun and can add a lot of zing, sometimes they just totally fail and it is gross though, in my opinion.

But if you are really just goin' for the HOTTEST HELLFIRE SAUCE ZOMG WHAT sauces out there, have fun matey:

http://blairshotsauce.com/

http://hotsauceworld.com/hottest-hot-sauce.html

why would you put chilli in somebody else's plate? Ot you're the one who cooks in your little kingdom?

i cook sometimes she cooks sometimes but when i cook i like to make food with chili in it :rolleyes:

i mean sure i could make a chili con carne without chili in it but that seems really pointless

carne sin chili

yeah as i said in the OP i can get some of the blairs sauces but it's a bit of a jungle, i'm unsure where to start

yeah as i said in the OP i can get some of the blairs sauces but it's a bit of a jungle, i'm unsure where to start

OH YEA, I should have read more closely. Do they have Srirachi sauce at your grocery stores maybe? It's mega-common here, so maybe slightly-common there (like Tabasco)?

If I where you I would just order a whole bunch that sound/look cool, and just go for it. Than read some reviews in the meantime. And I'm positive a bunch of folks are about to chime in with their favorites.

Staples of American (not necessarily American sauce, just popular/common here) hot sauce:

Tabasco
Texas Pete
Sriracha
Cholula
Frank's Red Hot

and than a lot of regional varieties, salsa, spicy BBQ sauces, etc.

All of them are actually pretty good in my opinion, with each having various mega-supporters (If I had to be on a mega-support wagon it would be for Sriracha, or 'the hot cock' or 'rooster sauce', as it is also known). You are probably looking more at the lesser-known brands, but from the sounds of it even these would be hard to find over there/interesting?

but from the sounds of it even these would be hard to find over there/interesting?

well traditional swedish food has NO chili in it, so although hot sauces are starting to appear more and more, pickings are still slim apart from tabasco and sambal oelek and whatnot. so yeah, i'm just looking for recommendations of specific sauces that are tasty, and then i will try to track them down

never tried srirachi. is it a basic chili sauce or does it have other ingredients?

i don't want JUST heat, for instance i love tabasco habanero because of its fruit flavours (which come from mango etc,) not solely because of its heat -- and while it is fairly hot, i intend to "upgrade" heat levels from that but if a milder sauce is very tasty then i will probably try that too. it does need to have some level of heat though or it's just going to annoy me

it does need to have some level of heat though or it's just going to annoy me

Oh yea I agree completely. None of the ones listed are without heat, though Frank's is a bit less I guess because it is more a buffalo sauce than a 'hot sauce' (are buffalo wings regularly served over there? I sound ignorant asking, but I don't know! Hah).

As far as the mega-hot ones go, you do have to be careful as A LOT (LOT, LOT) of them are based on gimmick/design and are pretty much just flavorless or gross, hah. They are still fun though as it's not like they are expensive and they usually have some clever/cool packaging.

As far as Sriracha goes, it's much much thicker than hot-sauce like in the vein of Tabasco, it's more of a paste.

I'm sure you already went here, but whatever! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha_sauce

I'm fond of the Matouk line of hotsauces. Pretty strong kick but flavourful in reasonable amounts.

I found Cholula chipotle sauce the other day and it's pretty wonderful. Better than the Tabasco chipotle I would say.

cholula_chipotle.jpg

I used to buy lots of different hot sauces and experiment with various things, but these days I pretty much just put Sriracha on everything *shrug*

I went to some sub sandwich chain , Firehouse subs, and they had a hot sauce bar which I at least found impressive. Surprisingly they even had things such as Pappy's BBQ sauces, which are delicious. Of course I'm a fool and doused my sub in Dave's Insanity. I don't mind the heat so much, but that really hurts my stomach, ughhh. It can't be healthy eating those ultra hot death sauce things. Plus they never taste like much other than "burning".

The older I get the more I find myself craving that kick. Not really a fan of a particular sauce per se, more of a "restaurant made sauce in a plastic cup to pour on your tacos" kind of lad. I also can do wasabi like nobody's business. Once made this delightful gook maiden's slants agape with the overall thickness of my wasabi!

i am srirarchaing myself as I type this.

there is a sauce that I buy in the Asian Supermarket, and it's only found there (not even one word in English on the jar) that is just fucking stunning.
not too hot, has some small nuts finely ground in it along with other bits and pieces of exotic spices and weeds.

fuck me if there is ever one thing that's worth copying from China and making it for the US market it is THAT.

someone introduced me to it years ago and I always seek it out.

Sriracha is a favorite for general purpose. I really like Lousiana Hot Sauce myself, too. I've been checking out Jalapeno based sauces as I love that flavor, and I'm digging Dave's Hurtin' Jalapeno. And I think my favorite over the top spicy is the Mad Dog 357 when I want to tear up my digestive track.

Just tried Sriracha for the first time tonight on some tacos which already were lathered in a red sauce. Holy shnikeys is this stuff flavorful! Going to try it on some Hawaiian BBQ fare in the near future.