How about ProgPower New York

Stingray11214

OSA Triumvir
Oct 21, 2005
Peeps;

I see everyone talking about holding a ProgPower in Texas. How about holding ProgPower in New York? Let's face it, what band in their right mind would NOT want to play a festival at a place like Nokia Times Square? Which is right around the corner from MTV's offices? With a gaggle of hotels within a block of the place? With all the media pushing it? Man, even Dream Theater would beg to play it:worship: . Nevermore would get on their hands and knees, and beg Glenn's forgiveness wearing clown suits in the middle of Times Square:lol: . It will be the metal event of the year.

How about it?

Peace,
Ray C.

The last thing I would want to do is pay a cabbie $100 for my cabride from the airport to the hotel and then again from the hotel to the venue. Getting around that town safely on my own and affordably would be a big concern for me. Now, if it were set up like Atlanta where I can just jump on a train to the hotel and venue and not rent a car or take a taxi, I'd consider it more.

One's enough drain on the wallet, why milk a good thing? Put it together, call it something else, and see if anyone would show up. Pretty sure thats how Progpower became the PREMIER USA metal fest.

Peeps;

I see everyone talking about holding a ProgPower in Texas. How about holding ProgPower in New York? Let's face it, what band in their right mind would NOT want to play a festival at a place like Nokia Times Square? Which is right around the corner from MTV's offices? With a gaggle of hotels within a block of the place? With all the media pushing it? Man, even Dream Theater would beg to play it:worship: . Nevermore would get on their hands and knees, and beg Glenn's forgiveness wearing clown suits in the middle of Times Square:lol: . It will be the metal event of the year.

How about it?

Peace,
Ray C.

Dude.. sounds like a good idea right? Well, are you aware that the price of a place like the Nokia is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE than Centerstage? How about hotel prices, in the middle of Manhattan, did you know they're pretty expensive too, more so than in Atlanta? Transportation to and from airports/venue? Food... more expensive too!! Also, ever heard of Union fees?

I'd love to see a fest like ProgPower in NYC, cause I'm less than an hour away. But it's just not happening.

The last thing I would want to do is pay a cabbie $100 for my cabride from the airport to the hotel and then again from the hotel to the venue.
It wouldn't be that expensive...lol Maybe 45 bucks.

Getting around that town safely on my own and affordably would be a big concern for me.
Aww give me a break now, Manhattan is not Harlem, Bronx or The Red Light District. NYC is not that much of a dangerous city like you think, come on now... It's not much worst than Atlanta.

Now, if it were set up like Atlanta where I can just jump on a train to the hotel and venue.
You seem to not have been to NYC many times... You could easily do the same thing here. In fact, I'd rather do this in NYC than in Atlanta. It's safer.

Aww give me a break now, Manhattan is not Harlem, Bronx or The Red Light District. NYC is not that much of a dangerous city like you think, come on now... It's not much worst than Atlanta.

Funny how perceptions work. New York isn't even in the top 25 most dangerous cities, while Atlanta currently holds the #17 position. The dreaded Camden is currently #5, and St.Louis is #1.

The last thing I would want to do is pay a cabbie $100 for my cabride from the airport to the hotel and then again from the hotel to the venue. Getting around that town safely on my own and affordably would be a big concern for me. Now, if it were set up like Atlanta where I can just jump on a train to the hotel and venue and not rent a car or take a taxi, I'd consider it more.

Maybe you should look into using what we in the city call the Subway. It costs $2, is accessible through any of 468 different stations, and is used safely by over 4 million people every day.

To get on topic, a PPNY would be a dream come true (even though I'm not currently living there). But I know that for all the reasons other people have pointed out, it would be extremely difficult to pull off - and make profitable.

First, I will viciously pursue anyone that attemps to use the ProgPower name here in the U.S.

Second, you can easily triple your costs when doing it in a place like NYork. The cost alone from being forced to hire union workers would kill you. Yes, you could increase the number of tickets sold to offset the costs, but your profit margin will essentially remain the same. Why kill yourself when it doesn't benefit you? This is a business as much as a passion for me.

The cost alone from being forced to hire union workers would kill you. .
Uh... Glenn... I guess you haven't talked to Chris Roy about our Union vote ?!?! lol j/k :heh: :loco: :lol:

Seriously - I know a lot of people are just "wishing" when they say stuff like the post that started this thread, but man - you have NO idea of the logistics, passion, and costs that go into a fest like this. You'd have to have some passion to want to even take a nightmare like this head on (or just pure greed, and i KNOW this is not the case with Glenn)
There are Band performance fees and travel costs, backline gear rental, hotels, food and drink, band/personnel transportation arrangements, finding suitably equipped venue at a reasonable cost, crew/staff/personnel costs .... then advertising, % of sale that will go to ticketbastard, merchandise/shirts & programs costs, insurance... competeing with other fests and tour schedules, and I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface
If you want an idea, speak to Chris Lotesto (Chicago Powerfest) and Joe Paciola (sp?? sorry Joe) from Enertia ... they can give you an idea of logistics and costs
Not trying to rant, just presenting a perspective from (sort of ) the inner workings of a fest of this size
RAWK !:headbang: :kickass:

Hey, watch it, I live by Buffalo! If it weren't for us, there would be no chicken wings....:kickass:

Haha thats ok I lived in Schenectady NY for over 24 years.

Although not nearly as Upstate as Buffalo/Rochester.....compared to NYC , and Long Island we catch the same crap! ;)

That's funny, considering that Atlanta is ranked far higher on the top most dangerous cities in the country than New York City. NYC is extremely safe.

Also, have you ever heard of subways or busses in New York?

The problem with a New York City Prog Power is the festival costs the promoter has to pay. Having to park 10 (unless of course you're expecting that all bands will be playing exclusive shows at Prog Power NYC) vans alone would be a feat of olympic magnitude.

HOWEVER, once PP becomes a bit more popular and Glenn chooses to upgrade venue capacity (not that NYC has bigger venues, this isn't necessarily true, I'm just saying that upping the venue capacity might warrant a move to another city), NYC should definitely be a thought.

Hey, watch it, I live by Buffalo! If it weren't for us, there would be no chicken wings....:kickass:

I lived in buffalo for 25 years, and I grant anyone on this board permission to say whatever demeaning thing they like about the city with the exception of attacking the food. The food was FAN FUCKING TASTIC. Everything else about the city was a rundown shithole. :D