How Much Does It Cost to Book your Favorite Band?

espz

Sep 23, 2011
Colorado Springs
Okay, so here's the article:

http://priceonomics.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-book-your-favorite-band/

You will note that most of "our" bands are not on the list. So anyone in the biz care to chime in on where some of our bands are placed maybe? What does a Nightwish or Iced Earth command, versus some of our awesome opening bands like Need or Withem?

Any comments on the list?

So some Five Finger Death Punch for 50k?

Some Shinedown for 75-100k?

King's X for $5000 bucks?

As it says at the end of the article: "There seems to be no correlation between booking fees and talent."

Right off the bat:

(Note: as a reader pointed out, these are asking prices from a third-party booking agency that specializes in college shows; as such, the numbers are likely inflated. Actual prices negotiated by many of these performers are contingent on a variety of factors.)

Secondly, let's just say that managers worldwide will think twice before doing any sort of business with such agency going forward. How much a band makes isn't anyone's business other than the band, agent and promoters of the show. I am in awe that you'd expect anyone to post prices, honestly.

Milton,

Though I understand that what any band makes to play a show is not the fans' business, there will always be an interest in the topic. I liken it to finding out what big-name actors make when they sign on to be in a film. Obviously, the general consensus is that artists are paid on the basis of their popularity. Of course, there will always be those artists who believe they're worth more than what they should really charge. Anywho, though I'm not necessarily siding with the folks on the "entertained" side of the fence (as opposed to the "entertaining" side), I think such knowledge might help them understand this business a little better, i.e. stop making outrageous requests like booking Avantasia for ProgPower.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Milton,

Though I understand that what any band makes to play a show is not the fans' business, there will always be an interest in the topic. I liken it to finding out what big-name actors make when they sign on to be in a film. Obviously, the general consensus is that artists are paid on the basis of their popularity. Of course, there will always be those artists who believe they're worth more than what they should really charge. Anywho, though I'm not necessarily siding with the folks on the "entertained" side of the fence (as opposed to the "entertaining" side), I think such knowledge might help them understand this business a little better, i.e. stop making outrageous requests like booking Avantasia for ProgPower.

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Movie budgets are made public because movie studios belong to publicly traded companies that by law have to reveal material information (info that affects the firm's stock) to everyone. This is why you see labels that are also part of publicly traded companies reveal how much certain record deals are worth etc. Bands are private organizations and have no obligation to reveal how much they earn. It hurts a band's (and its agent) ability to negotiate and set fees with promoters if the band's value is posted on some internet database.

i.e. stop making outrageous requests like booking Avantasia for ProgPower.

I hear that a lot.. I refer people to the very excellent interview where Glenn addressed why some bands will never play PP or just about any other U.S. festival...

Milton,

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

It is very interesting. I will say it is hilarious now knowing what some bands ask for now with what their real value is and then there are bands who you would think would be asking a lot actually ask less and are great to deal and work with. It just depends on how you ask I guess and work with them.

Milton,

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Al,

You are right. I know that the fans in our scene are very passionate and want to know everything they possibly can about the business side of things. But in a way, it's kind of like asking the owner of a company how much he pays each person who works for him - or asking a complete stranger how much he makes. You know, it is an awkward question even if not out of spite, but just plain curiosity/innocence.

But in a way, it's kind of like asking the owner of a company how much he pays each person who works for him - or asking a complete stranger how much he makes. You know, it is an awkward question even if not out of spite, but just plain curiosity/innocence.
I'm going to disagree a bit here. First, right or wrong, the law has always treated "celebrities" a bit differently. Now I realize paparazzi aren't hanging around outside of Tobias Sammet's place. However, in this community, he carries with him a bit of celebrity. When he releases a new album or does a tour, he does as much promotion as possible to inject himself and his band into the public consciousness and raise awareness about the product he's selling. He does press, poses for pictures and gives interviews. That's hardly analogous with asking the owner of a private company how much he pays his office manager. Second, a live performance is ultimately a product. Why is it wrong to ask how much that product costs? Now, I can understand if bands feel that making that number public can impact their negotiating position. However, they're selling a service. If anything, it's unusual for people selling a service to want to keep secret the price of their service.

Again, I get that you and Glenn as promoters may not want to advertise the financial aspects of your business, but I don't think the question is rude or misplaced. Just my $0.02.

I get where you are coming from Milton, and I was hoping to hear from you when I posted that, mainly because it is of interest to a lot of people. I fully understand these numbers are mostly bullshit, but they put a lot of things in context, which is nice. Sure if you are some sheik or third world dictator, then yes, you probably have to pay Madonna a million dollars to come play for you. That's all well and good. Just pulling an example, Lorde is still a one hit wonder as far as I know, and she is commanding huge numbers, whereas someone like Alanis Morrisette, who had one of the biggest albums in the 90's, which produced a crapload of "hits", is making much less, because of course, this ain't the 90's anymore, and that Royals song is "hot" right now.

From the Human Resources angle that you are coming from, I totally get that you can't say that Kingcrow got paid X to play ProgPower. Of course you can't, and you shouldn't. And playing ProgPower is going to be totally different from playing, say, LoudPark, versus being the third bill on a tour that hits the Sunshine Theater in Albuquerque.

But as a casual fan, it's interesting to know where a band lays on these kinds of charts. Because I'm pretty certain that Kingcrow is NOT getting paid as much as they should in America for the last two REALLY good albums they've recently done. The world is never "fair" like that.

Just like I can't say what my salary is, I can say that most computer people in Albuquerque make between 30k and 80k. Some make eight bucks and hour, and some are certainly six figures. And people in San Fransisco that do the same thing make at least 20k more for the equivalent. It's still good info to have.

I paid $22.75 to see Iced Earth last weekend. I don't think Sunshine holds 800, but let's go with that, so that makes 18,200 as a gate. I'm pretty sure there is no easy way to say that Revamp made $2000, Sabaton made $5000 and Iced Earth took in 10k. First, I know they don't get all of a ticket price. I realize there are a ton of variables. I've heard about bands having to pay the headliner to get ON the tour, etc.....if, say, Revamp had to PAY to get on the tour, and only made sales from their booth, then knowing that would make me want to help them out even more. Good info to have, as I said.

Plus who doesn't want to say that they'd pay $5000 to have Sabaton come play their own personal backyard birthday party????? :)

(I hope all that made sense...it's really early and I haven't had any caffeine yet.)

Just pulling an example, Lorde is still a one hit wonder as far as I know

Lorde is not a one hit wonder, draws a fuckton of fans, has a great attitude about everything, and connects with a massive audience. Her Reddit AMA generated one of the biggest celebrity discussions which she partook in for days, rather than an hour or two, and her album Pure Heroine is great.

Because I'm pretty certain that Kingcrow is NOT getting paid as much as they should in America for the last two REALLY good albums they've recently done.

In your own opinion, what do you think Kingcrow should be paid and how do you justify it when in reality, they'd be lucky to draw 10 people to a show around the US?

And people in San Fransisco that do the same thing make at least 20k more for the equivalent.

I really need to find a new job. Because you're right.

Back in 2008 I can tell you, if you care, Sebastian Bach was asking 25k for a one off show and Skid Row was 5k. Phil Lewis of LA Guns told me they get $750 to 1k per show on their own and a bit more for fests. And no, I didn't ask him, some other person I was with brought it up. :rolleyes: Personally, it's interesting to see a list like that, but it's really not my business what a band gets paid for any particular gig. If a promoter is willing to pay the price asked and can make money at said price then so be it.

I'm glad that you understood where I was coming from, Milton. Fans like us are always curious about this sort of thing, even though it's not necessarily information that should be made public. We have to keep some mystery to the business, shouldn't we? :)

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

Gate prices are not the whole story folks. All those annoying drunk assholes? They're the ones that make it profitable.

Personally I'd pay double face value to not have to deal with drunks though.

I'm going to disagree a bit here. First, right or wrong, the law has always treated "celebrities" a bit differently. Now I realize paparazzi aren't hanging around outside of Tobias Sammet's place. However, in this community, he carries with him a bit of celebrity. When he releases a new album or does a tour, he does as much promotion as possible to inject himself and his band into the public consciousness and raise awareness about the product he's selling. He does press, poses for pictures and gives interviews. That's hardly analogous with asking the owner of a private company how much he pays his office manager. Second, a live performance is ultimately a product. Why is it wrong to ask how much that product costs? Now, I can understand if bands feel that making that number public can impact their negotiating position. However, they're selling a service. If anything, it's unusual for people selling a service to want to keep secret the price of their service.

Again, I get that you and Glenn as promoters may not want to advertise the financial aspects of your business, but I don't think the question is rude or misplaced. Just my $0.02.

Fair enough. Sometimes it's easy to get sucked into the biz side of it so much that for a split second, you forget what it's like to be just a fan. :)