How Much Does It Cost to Book your Favorite Band?

Those who are making the case that bands should be more vocal about their earnings are missing the point rather entirely. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with Jon Shaffer coming out and saying Iced Earth has to pull in 10k a night to make money - or Petrucci saying Dream Theater has to pull in 30k a night. And there's nothing wrong with a small band lamenting about having to pay buyons to get on tour. In fact, in this kickstarter world, I predict we'll eventually see bands asking us to front those bills in the future.

The problem that AngraRules pointed out is that it's entirely another story to have some third party agency that is supposed to look after these bands and broker deals with colleges post fees on a database for everyone to see. That hurts a band's ability to negotiate and set fees on its own.

Fair enough. Sometimes it's easy to get sucked into the biz side of it so much that for a split second, you forget what it's like to be just a fan. :)
Completely understood.

The problem that AngraRules pointed out is that it's entirely another story to have some third party agency that is supposed to look after these bands and broker deals with colleges post fees on a database for everyone to see.
Agreed. That's f**ked up.

I think where it matters to a fan is, what would it take to actually get some of these bands over? A lot of us don't know and the process is a black box, probably for good reason.

I couldn't care less about what bands make. I just would like to see them perform.

I think where it matters to a fan is, what would it take to actually get some of these bands over?

Getting any band over, aside from finances, is a logistical fucking nightmare. Booking these bands is another logistical nightmare all its own. I gave it the old college try on the west coast, and let me tell you, trying to get anything organized and going is a clusterfuck when trying to coordinate with 5 people in a band, a promoter, a venue, fans, and everything else. Like Milton said, the fandom faded quick and I wouldn't even be assed with music for a long while, which is why I eventually had to bow out. I only booked a few shows, and fewer with actual guarantees, and more than once, I ended up paying the bands out of my own pocket because I got screwed by someone or other along the line.

Totally fucking worth all of it to see Widow on the west coast though, and eat pizza with them. Would do so again in a mouses heartbeat for those guys, and even though booking was a bitch, it, and being a local photographer with some skill led me to the absolutely incredible local scene in Phoenix.