How to put a roster together

metalprof said:
Nice post, but that seems like an awful lot of possibly conflicting considerations. To streamline your process, I propose the following game-plan for the future:

1. Call Ken
2. Ask Ken what 10 bands he wants to see the most.
3. Book those 10 bands.

There, see how much easier that would be??? :Spin:

Thats Nearfest dude :loco:

Bear

Right on brutha! Great post!

It's funny how many people just don't get it. If it were half as easy as some people thought, there'd be successful metal fests all over the US.

Also, another huge difference between our 2 fests and like 99% of all other US metal fests is that we pay all our bands...and more importantly, we don't do that pay-to-play bullshit!!! cough**Koshick**cough**fucker**cough. :D

Take care & see you in April!
Rob

Thought I would share my thoughts here that I posted in another forum where this year's roster appeal was in question:

Agreed. I have said several times that at some point, the festival has to sell on its own merits and not just a star-studded roster. The costs have gone up 50% over the past three years for bookings alone. That doesn't count hotels, etc. The days of PP III & IV are long gone...

That said, the roster was indeed built to hit more niches than mass appeal on spots 2-4. The increase in time for slots #2 and decrease for the #4s also indicate that. That said, sometimes you have to gamble and put a band out there that people go wtf? I caught a ton of shit for putting an unknown with no album out (Circus Maximus) last year. That worked out rather well.

Let me compare the roster from last year to the one so far at the time of the booking, not after the announcement. Let's see the how the minor leaguers compare...

Manticora- nich power metal...

Pyramaze- nich melodic power metal...has higher profile by far

Advantage: Pyramaze

Stride- unknown prog band

Wastefall- unknown prog band

Advantage- Tie

Symphorce- power band..very small sales..Andy Franck factor

Savage Circus- power band...huge sales...BG/IS factor

Advantage: Savage Circus

Circus Maximus- unknown..personal pick for me

Vision Divine- nich melodic band...known for the Labyrinth/FAbio connection and quality releaes/dvd

Advantange: Vision Divine by far

Pink Cream 69- AOR/melodic metal...well known, but limited appeal to the "masses" at the show

Freak Kitchen- prog/fucked up metal, well known in prog circles..limited appeal to the "masses" at the show

Advantage: Tie

Orphaned Land- had the buzz factor going into the event, crossover appeal

Thunderstone- quality power..headliner in Europe...limited knowledge here

Advantage: Orphaned Land

Therion- Cult Following

Epica- up and come..female vox appeal

Advantage- Therion by wide margin

Conception- I got lucky, but far more people had no idea who they were at first, very niche

Mercenary- world wide acclaim for last album, buzz factor from previous appearance, new album will be one of the best of the years, most requested return band from all posts counted on the PP forum

Advantage- Believe it or not...Tie..

Headliners- Call it even

Glenn H.

Remember Glenn, and this board is a fine example, "popularity" is such a subjective term, particularly when you're bringing bands here that don't have a nationally established reputation. You once told me that Running Wild "has their main fan base overseas" and "there is no interest in Pretty Maids". Well, I think your track record of success with bands MUCH less established than either of these 2 would prove your own ideas erroneous. Orphaned Land and Circus Maximus don't even get high (if any) booking in Europe on festivals. Here, those same bands were "discovered" and they helped move tickets in RECORD time. Popularity when booking in Germany is essential. Popularity here, in our show's case, is a little less crucial because the majority is forced to go out and "discover" all of the established bands you announce anyway. You book Pretty Maids or Freak Kitchen or hell, even Tiamat, and you'll have the same reaction as if you book Helloween and Masterplan. Some excitement, some "thanks for helping me discover band X", and some ambivilence. But at the end of the day, it's all tickets sold as long as you balance the genres.

Remember YOUR idea of "popular" will be different from everyone elses (and it's your show, so we're SOL) but that doesn't mean you're assessing that "popularity" with any sort of reality unless you go solely on sales. And if you do that, then you'll have no Prog at Progpower. You'll see on Ticket sales day this year that listening to the fans who buy the tix will be your best measure of your ultimate success. You seemed to respond to the fans' ideas this year and I predict you'll be rewarded in NEW record time on sales day.

Now get the damned Pretty Maids over here next year and prove me right on this matter. :)

And regarding your last post, I already disagree with you about the Popularity of THunderstone vs. Orphaned Land and PC69 vs. Freak Kitchen. Subjective.

Thanks Woosta. I appreciate the input and you are 100% correct on the subjective thing. I do have to go with my gut sometimes and hope that all of the other factors help win things if I'm wrong (and I have been dead wrong on some).

Btw, I do hope Running Wild change thier way of thinking in the future and I can get them. I haven't seen RW on too many festival rosters lately. I remember reading an interview with Rolf where he said he would not play out without doing the complete RW show. That cannot be done here.

Glenn H

Harvester said:
I remember reading an interview with Rolf where he said he would not play out without doing the complete RW show. That cannot be done here.

Hmmm... by complete RW show, do you mean a huge full blown stage production (like a "pirate ship" stage platform, etc.) or do you mean like a full 20 song set?

Jason

Just for the record.. for all the bitching I probably do for the bands I don't like or the (what I thought to be) sub-par-ness of progpower 5, and the somewhat less awesome than progpower 4 but much improved over progpower 5 that was progpower 6, and the utter shitting my pants with excitement for progpower 7, I must admit Glenn, that you have my full hardon respect for doing this every year, and putting up with the shit people like me give you for what seems to be below our expectations.

You're right, it's impossible to please everyone, and I offer an appology for non-constructive critizim I had for PP5. I like to think I corrected myself for 6 (even though I liked it a shitton better) from now on, PP for me is about the music, and friendship. and bonus if i like the bands, and if not, oh well, there's always next year.

Prog Power is the place to get to know bands for me, and I'm sure that for many others too. I do not do much "discovering" of bands on my own, so my "rediscovery" of metal in general has been slow. I figure that the less bands I know on the bill the better. It's a chance to expand my horizons. It has worked for two years straight, and I know the streak will continue this year.

Just keep doing what you are doing, my man. You don't have to explain SHIT to guys like me.

Bands that I never would have heard of if not for Glenn/Progpower that I love:
Nightwish
Rage
Angra
Dreamscape
Brainstorm
Wuthering Heights
Tad Morose
MANTICORA!!!!
Cirucs Maximus
Stride
Orphaned Land
Pagans Mind
Threshold
Adagio

Bands Burke introduced me to that I shit my pants for at PP:
EVERGREY!!!!!!!!!
Symph X
Symphorce
Conception
Kamelot
Ark
Superior
Rage
Threshold
Therion
Redemption

Bands that I saw at PP that I thought were really bad:
3 That I have mentioned before so why bring them up again.

That leaves very few bands that fall in the middle, but the list is weighted totally towards kickass music for me.
Suffice it to say, for me, Glenn knows what the fuck he is doing.

We have almost 9 months to get familiar with these bands. I am sure that most of them will be kicking my ass by the time September rolls around.

I might waver at first when I see the lineup but so far more than half of these bands look really great--Thunderstone, Vision Divine, Wastefall and Pyramaze I think are going to kick serious ass--I liked them from the first listen.

Harvester said:
Symphorce- power band..very small sales..Andy Franck factor
Funny, I think that "factor" will have a mainstay appeal every year when people start posting "PPxx" predictions. I think they're getting close to Mercenary's requests.

Harvester said:
Circus Maximus- unknown..personal pick for me
Probably the biggest suprise of last year, once that album came out everyone who bought it here praised it. I still listen to it all the time and they had a solid performance and pulled off all the bad-ass harmonies live.

Harvester said:
Pink Cream 69- AOR/melodic metal...well known, but limited appeal to the "masses" at the show
Rock ain't dead -nuff said, and hope to see more melodic rock bands in the future.

Harvester said:
Orphaned Land- had the buzz factor going into the event, crossover appeal
If Therion didn't play I'd say these guys stole the show last year along w/ Symphorce.

Harvester said:
Therion- Cult Following
Anyone else remember years back (around III) when people asked Glenn about Therion and he said it would be impossible. He was just setting us up all along. We all know Glenn's the only reason this band finally was able to play & tour the states.

Harvester said:
Mercenary- world wide acclaim for last album, buzz factor from previous appearance, new album will be one of the best of the years, most requested return band from all posts counted on the PP forum

Glenn H.
That's gotta say something being that there was a lot of heat in the beginning about you booking this band due to the "cookie cutter" vocals. These boys ripped live and won a lot of nay-sayers over, which I'd guess opened the door for Into Eternity, who also tore it up. SIEZE THE NIGHT live is monstrous and MUST be played this year again!