I just thought of something. I've never booked a hotel room before.

Jim LotFP

The Keeper of Metal
Jun 7, 2001
Helsinki, Finland
www.lotfp.com
... so I'll be heading into Atlanta next month for the show (actually, I'm REALLY looking forward to going to the Vortex again... mmmmmm burgers...)...

... I booked a hotel. Travelodge downtown, about a million miles from the venue.

But I've never booked a hotel before! I stayed in a weird Finnish thing two and a half years back, and I was in a hotel room paid for by my employer back in 1998, but I'm basically very ignorant of the hotel process.

Is there any "here is how you don't look like a fool, and here is how you don't screw anything up" advice for when I arrive in Atlanta and go to the hotel? :D

I'm assuming this is a serious question and not a joke, right? Anyhoo, assuming you are serious:

1. Go to registration desk and say "Hi, I'm here to check in."

2. Person at desk will ask for your name, and hopefully they have your reservation in the computer. ;)

3. They might ask you to fill out a form, present ID, and will certainly ask you for a credit card so they can imprint it upfront in case you try to skedaddle without paying.

4. They'll give you a room key.

5. Stop at the front desk before you leave to check out, and make sure there are no weird charges on your credit card (check your receipt carefully before you go -- I've gotten charged for phone calls I never made, mini-bar drinks I did not consume, etc)

That should cover it!

Steph

Cancel your Travelodge reservation and go to a better, closer place. :lol:

I have a personal gripe with Travelodge from about a dozen years ago when I cancelled a resevation and they charged me anyway and refused to give my money back even though I had a cancellation number.

Depends on your budget, though... I like the big Midtown hotels, but then I've been lucky with rates.

Now on to your real question - have confirmation numbers, confirmation emails, any other piece of information having to do with your reservation at the ready. You may or may not need it, but better safe than sorry. And do check your bill at the end.

Jim LotFP said:

Is there any "here is how you don't look like a fool, and here is how you don't screw anything up" advice for when I arrive in Atlanta and go to the hotel? :D

Well, first take off your nine inch nail arm bands. That should ease the situation a little. ;) As long as you have your confirmation info, credit card and ID you are good to go. Also, make sure not to leave and valuables sitting around the room when you aren't there. I have had lots of things stolen over the years.

And, what is this Vortex you speak of? A good burger joint in the area?

zimbee said:
Cancel your Travelodge reservation and go to a better, closer place. :lol:

I would recommend this, as well. If you're at the Travelodge at 14th and Techwood, then you may want to move somewhere else. I moved Balance of Power out of there for PP2.0. Quite possibly one of the least desirable hotels in town...

--Mike

Joel-RZ said:
And, what is this Vortex you speak of? A good burger joint in the area?

The Vortex is THE burger joint, but alas, it's a little ways. of course, there's one on Peachtree, but it's still a few miles, I believe. Great burgers, great beer, great decor and love the menu. I took some friends of mine to the one in Little Five last year, and they loved it.

Lindysmall.jpg

Holy shit, Jim!

Pull your head out...walk up to the front desk...chew the face off the nearest dumbass that approaches you...then secure a room...go to the Vortex...consume mass quantities of import brews...order a burger...and...

GET A FUCKING CLUE...Mister _I've-never-stayed-in-a-hotel-room-before...

Holy crap......it must be nice to have such a "catered" lifestyle...

A loyal subscriber...

Doc

Rock on!

when you're leaving, don't forget to make sure you check out before the "checkout time"... for most places, it's 11am or noon... otherwise, sometimes they try to stick you with an extra day's worth of room charges.

dusro2 said:
also think about making arrangements for next year NOW. so travelodge isnt part of the PP experience.

With luck, I won't be anywhere near the US next year. :D

Besides, having a hotel nowhere near the venue means that sleep may actually happen after the show every night. :p

lady_space said:
The Vortex is THE burger joint, but alas, it's a little ways. of course, there's one on Peachtree, but it's still a few miles, I believe. Great burgers, great beer, great decor and love the menu. I took some friends of mine to the one in Little Five last year, and they loved it.

Yup! Loved it. I get some sideways glances whenever I wear my Vortex shirt around town.

Is the travellodge the one right off an exit downtown... i went to one and it was rough... :)

i pretty much book travel for a living so any questions, I am here.. :)
always sign up for points... just used mine for a free hotel stay.

Jim, did you try the Day's Inn across from the Fox Theater? They used to have surprisingly good rates and they'd be hella closer. I put Brit author Storm Constantine up in that hotel one year after Dragon*Con and it was less than $55/night. It's an older property, but Storm and her then-boyfriend Jim liked it more than the Hilton they had just left...which ironically, is right near your Travelodge.

When you book the reservation, make sure you give them your credit card number and make sure they guarantee you for late arrival. This means that if you don't show up by 6pm or so, they won't (err...shouldn't...I'll get to that later) give your room away. I had a travel agent once forget to guarantee my room for late arrival and showed up and they had given my room away.

Second, always make sure they give you a confirmation email or something with a confirmation number. That way if you show up and they claim to know nothing about your reservation, you can prove you did indeed book a room.

Third, don't book the Best Western Granada Suites because even if you have a reservation there, and even if it was made 9 months in advance, and even though you booked it on your credit card, and even though you had guaranteed late arrival, they still might give your room away, especially if you got a discounted rate through AAA or something. Bastards. Yes, I'm still bitter.

Guy