How to get a cheap hotel room for ProgPower USA

miel

Mrs. Harvester
Staff member
Feb 17, 2009
Check out http://www.biddingfortravel.com (similar to betterbidding.com)

Scroll down to the middle of the page until you see the hotels listed by states, and click Georgia - Atlanta

(There's no need to log-in or register)

Scroll down and you'll see ATLANTA HOTELS LIST

Here, people "cheat" by listing on this forum what hotel they got for what price when they bid/won on priceline.com's name your own price. This gives you an idea of how much to bid for a room on priceline.com. You want an idea of how much b/c you can only place one bid every 24 hours on priceline.

Click this link to see the hotels listed for Atlanta by district:
http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/topic/15172/ATLANTA-HOTELS-LIST

This is a "cheat" list b/c it takes the surprise out of not knowing at all which hotel you will end up with when you place your (non-refundable) bid on priceline.com You will have a pretty good idea of the 1-3 hotels that you will end up with.

Look for the Midtown Atlanta Area. They are listed in alphabetical order by district:

Midtown Atlanta

5 Star
Possible: Four Seasons Atlanta

4.5 Star
Loews Atlanta

4 Star
Marriott Atlanta Midtown Suites [reviews]
Renaissance Atlanta Midtown (formerly Hotel Palomar) [reviews]
W Atlanta Midtown (formerly Sheraton Midtown Colony Square)

3.5 Star
Georgia Tech Hotel
The Georgian Terrace [reviews]
Hyatt Atlanta Midtown (formerly Hotel Midtown and Wyndham Midtown) [reviews]

3 Star
Courtyard Atlanta Midtown [reviews]
Hotel Indigo Atlanta Midtown
Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/Historic [reviews]
Residence Inn Atlanta Midtown/17th Street
Possible: Artmore Hotel

2 Star
Holiday Inn Express (no longer HI Express)
Fairfield Inn & Suites Midtown (now closed; converted to student housing)

You can click on the name of the hotel to be automatically routed to their website to see what the hotel looks like to make sure that you like it.

When/if you're ready, go to www.priceline.com and on their homepage, scroll down until you see the "Name your own price" on the bottom left and click there.

Put in Atlanta, the dates, and how many rooms, then the green "bid now"

Select the Midtown district by clicking the box.

Then scroll down and select your star level.

Then put in how much you want to pay in the orange box per room.

~Jen

Better Bidding has a slightly different hotel list. I think its more up to date since that Loews place is brand new.

4* Hotel Palomar
4* Loews Atlanta
4* W Hotel Atlanta Midtown (formally 3* Sheraton Colony Square)

3.5* Georgia Tech Hotel and Conference Center
3.5* Georgian Terrace Hotel
3.5* Marriott Suites

3* Courtyard Midtown-Georgia Tech
3* Hotel Indigo
3* Hotel Midtown (formally 3* Wyndham)
3* Residence Inn Midtown (1365 Peachtree St)

While the Residence is listed, I've never gotten it during PP. I think because its close to the venue they don't accept low bids during that weekend.

You're very welcome - I want to help attendees any way I can!

~Jen

thanks a lot, I will be driving, so I don't necessarily need the place to be right across the street from the venue. But, I haven't booked a room yet, this will be helpful.

I was looking around on some travel websites, and was surprised to find that rooms are still available at the Artmore and Residence. The Artmore's website lists some king bed rooms as being available, but Expedia says some suites are also still available. I'm thinking the Expedia listing may be an error, but it may be worth checking out if you're interested.

Also, if anyone who will have a car is still looking for super-cheap lodging, discount websites like Hotwire and Priceline are showing motels in places like Marietta and Norcross (both about 25 - 30 minute drives) starting at $23 a night... and places less than 10 minutes away for around $60.

Didn't want to make my own thread, but had anyone event used the BCA residential rentals?

How to get a cheap hotel for ProgPower.....stay by the airport, rent a car and still save $50-60 from midtown pricing. Not to mention, food at 3 am!

How to get a cheap hotel for ProgPower.....stay by the airport, rent a car and still save $50-60 from midtown pricing. Not to mention, food at 3 am!

Only works if you don't' drink or have a DD. While I don't get totally smashed, I'm in no condition to drive at the end of the night. As a solo attendee, I need walking distance. I've stayed at Americas Best Value the last 3 years. Not the nicest place but pretty cheap at about $65 a night.

Only works if you don't' drink or have a DD. While I don't get totally smashed, I'm in no condition to drive at the end of the night. As a solo attendee, I need walking distance. I've stayed at Americas Best Value the last 3 years. Not the nicest place but pretty cheap at about $65 a night.

Did they ever wind up doing that long-rumored renovation? I stayed there a couple times years ago when it was the Super 8, and it was literally falling apart even then.

Yeah, I didn't take the alcohol issue into consideration when I posted that. I only drink maybe 2 beers all day, so drinking and driving is not an issue with me. There is also the endless party with the bands that some people enjoy. I'm too old for that shit these days, so being away from the action gives me a chance to peacefully sleep for 6 hours each night and wake up ready to conquer the vendor room!