In Flames - Sountrack to Your Escape . . . a five point inspection.

Nate The Great

What would Nathan do?
May 10, 2002
www.ultimatemetal.com
So I'm listening to it for the second time now.

My thoughts:

1) This is MUCH more aggressive than Reroute to Remain. Keyboards, electronics, and clean vocals are used much more effectively because they are used sparingly.

2) This is NOT a throwback to Clayman, as some people have stated. While the lack of clean vocals is similar, the overall effect of the album is still not that much like Clayman (to me at least).

3) I honestly think In Flames is feeling very inspired by this direction in their music. They actually seem like they're having fun playing this stuff. Of course anybody that's seen them live knows they have fun playing all their music.

4) I would compare this album's attempt to be mainstream, but still heavy, to Arch Enemy's 'Anthems to Rebellion', and In Flames wins EASILY. This isn't mainstream in the sense that R2R tried to be . . . this is more like In Flames' version of Countdown to Extinction (don't take that the wrong way).

5) This is NOTHING like The Great Deciever. I can now officially say that. However, JayKeeley has a point that they will probably share some fans . . . I have both.

Overall, a surprisingly good MELODIC album. In Flames is trying to push melodic metal into slightly more mainstream territory, and I think they are actually doing a good job of it. I'll give it an 8.5/10 for now.

Erik said:
My thoughts:

1) This is MUCH more gay than Reroute to Remain. Keyboards, electronics, and gay vocals are used much more gayly because they are used homosexually.

2) This is NOT a throwback to Gayman, as some people have stated. While the lack of gay vocals is similar, the overall effect of the album is still not that much like Gayman (to me at least).

3) I honestly think In Flames is feeling very gay by this direction in their gayness. They actually seem like they're having fun gaying this stuff. Of course anybody that's seen them live knows they have fun gaying all their music.

4) I would compare this album's attempt to be mainstream, but still gay, to Arch Enemy's 'Anthems to Gayness', and In Flames wins HOMOSEXUALLY. This isn't gay in the sense that R2R tried to be . . . this is more like In Flames' version of The Best of Gay Dance (don't take that the wrong way).

5) This is NOTHING like The Great Deciever. I can now officially say that. However, JayKeeley has a point that they will probably share some gays . . . I have both.

Overall, a surprisingly gay HOMOSEXUAL album. In Flames is trying to push gay metal into slightly more homosexual territory, and I think they are actually doing a gay job of it. I'll give it an 0/10 for now.

:worship:

That was too fucking funny. :D :tickled:

What's even funnier is that the promo is on its way to me for reviewing. In Flames gets the Papa treatment. I haven't reviewed any of their material...

STYE is by no means genre defining or mind-blowing. It is simply a different approach to melodic metal in the mainstream. Erik has a small point (atleast that's what the ladies say) about the music having some 80's metal appeal, although I don't really think it's cheesy. Comparing them to Bon Jovi is simply Erik's way of getting his point across. They haven't gone that crazy.

Of all the bands trying to take melodic metal into the mainstream (Arch Enemy, Soilwork, In Flames, etc.), I think In Flames is the least annoying to me.

Markgugs will probably really like it.

Erik said:
The two times that "metal" or metal-derived music has been in the mainstream is

1) Hair metal of the 80's
2) Nu-metal of the 90's
and now,

3) Mallcore of the 00's

The fact is, American teenage mallrats these days are listening to bands like In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Lamb of God, Hatebreed, Slipknot. This is the next wave of mainstream 'metal'. (Personally, I don't see how a band like The Great Deceiver would escape this grouping. Nobody take that as an insult because I liked Terra Cognito - it's just Lindberg that I'm sick & tired of). I'm simply trying to outline a genre and corresponding audience for all these artists.

[Flame Opportunity #1. :heh:
Yes, you can add Soilwork and Arch Enemy to that list. However, Soilwork are still pretty much unknown compared to the others, and Arch Enemy are still a bit too metal IMO. I know that comment will open a can of worms, but I'll tell you what - Anthems of Rebellion sounds much more like 'conventional' metal than Soundtrack to your Escape.]

Nate The Great said:
Of all the bands trying to take melodic metal into the mainstream (Arch Enemy, Soilwork, In Flames, etc.), I think In Flames is the least annoying to me.
What you're saying is that it's just a lesser of two evils, but then we're all allowed our guilty pleasures. :cool:

Markgugs will probably really like it.
Markgugs will hate it. With a fucking passion. @Mark - if you want a CD-R, please ask Josh. STYE came to my house, I listened to it once, and out the door it went to Papa. I didn't even want a CD-R of that turd.

Now, just so I don't sound hypocritical:

[Flame opportunity #2. :heh:
R2R >> STYE. In the same way that Soilwork's NBC > FnF. Personally speaking, if you're going to manufacture music in that vein then give me hooks, melodies, singalong parts, and something that will work well in a live environment. I've heard several people (who hate R2R) admit that R2R material works ok live, whereas I just can't see anyone getting off on STYE in a live setting unless they belong to the aforementioned mallrat crowd. And with the amount of touring they do here, I wouldn't be surprised if In Flames have applied for US Permanent Residence & Greencards. ]

I thought Mallcore was another name for nu-metal.

And every single band named in this thread is loserific barring The Great Deceiver, who will never be grouped in with "mallcore" simply because they are not well-known, aren't from the states, and don't get the backing other international acts receive. Not to mention the music is eons better than the mainstream hardcore like Hatebreed or even Lamb of God.

The In Flames of the early 90's is an entirely different beast. Why do people buy ther crap, still? It's like the people that actually thought St. Anger was going to be a "return to roots OMGs".

Soilwork. :lol:

The keyboard sounds on what I've heard of the new In Flames are atrocious, and while I agree that they seem ethusiastic about the new material, it doesn't mean their direction is any less misguided. It makes Clayman sound like the pinnacle of their career in comparison.

J. said:
The way I see it, if you can buy their merchandise & albums at Hot Topic then it's pretty much 'mallcore'.

I'm just being hypothetical that american teenagers will lap up The Great Deceiver. If they toured with Hatebreed and In Flames (promoting STYE), for example, they would go down a treat.

JayKeeley said:
I'm just being hypothetical that american teenagers will lap up The Great Deceiver. If they toured with Hatebreed and In Flames (promoting STYE), for example, they would go down a treat.
I see your point, but this would/could apply to any band.

My fault. I should have elaborated.

You said that mallcore kids would eat up The Great Deceiver if they went on tour with Hatebreed and In Flames. Any unknown-to-mallcore band that went on tour with those two bands would be seen as a treat and instantly accepted by the kiddies.

J. said:

And every single band named in this thread is loserific barring The Great Deceiver, who will never be grouped in with "mallcore" simply because they are not well-known, aren't from the states, and don't get the backing other international acts receive. Not to mention the music is eons better than the mainstream hardcore like Hatebreed or even Lamb of God.

The In Flames of the early 90's is an entirely different beast. Why do people buy ther crap, still? It's like the people that actually thought St. Anger was going to be a "return to roots OMGs".

Soilwork. :lol:

All of this coming from someone who at one time hailed Opeth, loved everything Gothenburg, and has confessed to hailing Petra. :Smug:

Wake up, The Great Deceiver (ironically named, since they seem so great at deceiving you into thinking that they're actually worth a shit) suck cock and balls, Lamb Of God smotes them with As The Palaces Burn.

And while I'm at it, what in the hell is up with you and npearce's undying love for Khanate? What a joke.... pure drivel.

Kkkhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatttttttttttteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssssssssss

Yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyoooooooooooooooooooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Fffffffffoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllllllll....

markgugs said:
Well, not necessarily. You can buy Slayer, Dimmu Borgir, Arch Enemy and more at Hot Topic too, and they're not mallcore.
That's just it though, I would consider those bands to be mallcore, but I don't mean that necessarily in any derogatory manner. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong then, but I thought mallcore was representative of what mallrats listen to (to be overtly literal), or perhaps representative of what's shown on MTV2...?

I would therefore even include MTV-era Ozzy Osbourne in with mallcore. And Rob Zombie, Marilyn Manson etc. Slayer became mallcore at Undisputed Attitude or God Hates Us All. Arch Enemy became mallcore at Anthems of Rebellion. I really don't know who listens to Dimmu to be honest, but I would guess lots of gothic teenage girls considering Shagrath just won "most shaggable artist" award of 2003 in Terrorizer. :tickled:

Forget the 'mallcore' definition then, but there is an obvious demographic that listens to Ozzy, Shadows Fall, Hatebreed, etc. It's basically the OZZFEST crowd of the last few years. I wouldn't call any of that nu-Metal (rap metal a la Limp Bizkit, or Linkin Park) so I just refer to it as mallcore. :confused: