Interest In Another Metal Festival

ricky

New Metal Member
Oct 14, 2002
Gainesville, Florida
Visit site
What do you all feel is the interest level in another metal festival in the US? I have thought for some time about promoting a metal festival with bands that rarely if ever tour the US. Obviously, this is what ProgPower is, but I would want to focus only on bands such as Brainstorm, Stratovarius, Iron Savior, Shaman, Dionysus, Helloween, Grave Digger, and Running Wild to mention a few (mostly powermetal I guess). Progpower to me is outstanding but I have wondered if there is a desire for another festival in the vein I mentioned. Any input would be appreciated.

You may want to check out what's going on in your own state. Jack Koshik (of Milwaukee Metalfest) & the now defunct New Jersey Metalfest is invading Florida. Word is that he is going for a power metal show the way he does his other fests.

I do not think that Flordia could support two power metal festivals when it's hard for the U.S. to support two shows. BW&BK had the promotional might, good setting, and a damn good roster. They only drew 600ish. It's a tough nut to crack as it has taken me several years to reach the point I am at.

I'll give you the same advice I give every other promoter that contacts me. Unless you are prepared to lose a minimum of 10 grand if things go bad, then you should wait until you are. I know of a festival last year that lost 4 times that amount.

Good luck.

Glenn H.

Reactions: Daybreaker
Harvester said:
You may want to check out what's going on in your own state. Jack Koshik (of Milwaukee Metalfest) & the now defunct New Jersey Metalfest is invading Florida. Word is that he is going for a power metal show the way he does his other fests.

I do not think that Flordia could support two power metal festivals when it's hard for the U.S. to support two shows. BW&BK had the promotional might, good setting, and a damn good roster. They only drew 600ish. It's a tough nut to crack as it has taken me several years to reach the point I am at.

I'll give you the same advice I give every other promoter that contacts me. Unless you are prepared to lose a minimum of 10 grand if things go bad, then you should wait until you are. I know of a festival last year that lost 4 times that amount.

Good luck.

Glenn H.

Thanks Glenn. I am just gathering more data. This is something that if I did, it would definitely not be for money. You clearly have the best thing going and I will always support you with at least buying gold badges as long as you allow me to do so. As I am sure many believe, it would be nice to have another well run festival that is for the fans and not the bucks.

I wouldn't mind a more power oriented show in Florida as long is it's not in a hot as hell time of the year(sweating balls sucks). Power Metal rules! That said, I have loved supporting Glenn for the last three years and hope to continue to do so in the future.

From what I've heard from several friends that have attended Koshick festivals, they are about as much fun as slamming your dick in a car door for an hour. Run like shit and many bands performing 20-30 min doesnt blow my skirt up at all.

If you were to put on a PowerFest I would love to attend but youd have to also take into account what time of year it would be. I for one wouldnt miss Prog Power for the world (unless I was touring with Edguy but I doubt that's gonna happen) If you could round up a must see roster ie PP III, and have a well oiled machine and have reasonable set times, again look at PP, with other cool advantages like meeting bands in the hotels and venue youd have a good shot. If you do go for it good luck man, I'd do it if I won the lottery. A big 4 day "Power of Ben" metal festival. Ahhhhh.

Ben

but EVERY tour goes through that area up north.. nothing comes down south IE; IRON MAIDEN, the last Motorhead / Anthrax tour, the Slayer / In Flames, the list goes on and on and on. that's the whole point, you guys can practically pick any random 4-5 shows at any given time and you can put money on those tours or those particular lineups NOT heading south.

A Florida festival would be great, Tampa is a major international airport and let's not forget Orlando. Orlando would probably be the best bet due to all the hotels around the area. December would be bad, you can barely find a room (I'm in the travel business in Florida). Jan - Mar would be better possibilities. It's also before the rany season starts, it's still "cold" for us Floridians (for the most part), but for you northerners it's probably paradise.

New Jersey would be better. Great outdoor theater at the PNC Art Center. They do Ozzfest there. Gee, it's only 15 min. from my house too. ha ha

mgirishfan said:
Hmmmmm, how about splitting the difference between NC and NY.......MD, anyone?

*vehement nodding* <G> It was nice having Powermad practically in my backyard...

What ever happened to Power Mad. I actually went a few years although it was so poorly run! I did get to see a few bands that I really like such as Quiet Room and Leviathan!!! Let's not forget about Joe Stump also!!!!