Introducing your first douchebag bootlegger: Leonel Perez of Perfect Prog Magazine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, along these lines, when I saw Pagan's Mind at Jaxx last Tuesday, there was some chick in there that was VIDEOING THE ENTIRE SHOW!!! She was doing it on one of those cheap digitcams, so I highly doubt she had permission from the band. However, the policy at Jaxx has always been that they really don't care, as long as the band itself does not say anything. Even there, I try to at least respect the band and only take still photos, unless explicitly told not to (it happens on the rare occasion).

but now to my initial question. will a hand-helded video win out over the brand new DVD PAGAN'S MIND have coming out? i doubt it.

i applaud you for your sponsorship of bands and adhering to the rules Glenn has set out for us all, but if the lady you mentioned wasn't removed from the show at Jaxx for filming i doubt the band cares. i watched bruce dickinson grab a camera from the dudes in the GLOBAL METAL dvd because he knew they had no right to film Iron Maiden and Pagan's Mind could have done the same thing, but apparently it didn't happen. so i doubt they care because in the long run some shakey low-fi footage won't really matter but to help promote the band in some way in the future.

what i have come to find is like with most internet sites like facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. is that people try to be the first to post stuff to bring attention to themselves via people that are worthy of true attention. basically trying to find their 15 minutes of fame via someone else more popular.

again, i applaud your sponsorship so let's please not confuse my intentions of statement here. :headbang:

but now to my initial question. will a hand-helded video win out over the brand new DVD PAGAN'S MIND have coming out? i doubt it.

i applaud you for your sponsorship of bands and adhering to the rules Glenn has set out for us all, but if the lady you mentioned wasn't removed from the show at Jaxx for filming i doubt the band cares. i watched bruce dickinson grab a camera from the dudes in the GLOBAL METAL dvd because he knew they had no right to film Iron Maiden and Pagan's Mind could have done the same thing, but apparently it didn't happen. so i doubt they care because in the long run some shakey low-fi footage won't really matter but to help promote the band in some way in the future.

what i have come to find is like with most internet sites like facebook, myspace, youtube, etc. is that people try to be the first to post stuff to bring attention to themselves via people that are worthy of true attention. basically trying to find their 15 minutes of fame via someone else more popular.

again, i applaud your sponsorship so let's please not confuse my intentions of statement here. :headbang:

But the bottom line is not whether the video is shitty of HD it is still against Glenn and Shane's rules, and is stated every year "NO VIDEO TAPING".

But the bottom line is not whether the video is shitty of HD it is still against Glenn and Shane's rules, and is stated every year "NO VIDEO TAPING".

And that's IT. I mean, as I said on my original post on this thread, he was wrong for doing that! Absolutely wrong, it was against the rules and he shouldn't have done it.

But the leap that some people made on this thread is astounding... Comparing to people who PROFIT from bootlegs, people who sell bootlegs, download illegal stuff... Come on!
I mean.. you can find videos on youtube from EVERY BAND, no exception... From most shows of every band!
I think it's great.. I upload videos myself, I love watching videos that other people post... And I NEVER hide while video taping on my crappy digital camera

I really don't see the harm in uploading videos on youtube (and Again, he SHOULD NOT DO IT because it was against the rules).. But all the name calling, comparasions to people who profit from bootlegs and over 100 responses on a thread is bit of an over-reaction, IMO.

It's disappointing but not surprising. What the guy did was wrong but the leader spoke and his followers are just appeasing him. Fair enough. This will blow over but there is an ugliness that has presented itself.

The situation could have been handled better but I appreciate the frustration which led to to initial post and thread title.

Agreed with the above - I think the point has been made (over and over) in this thread and I don't see what's to really gain by leaving this thread going.

It's just making the PP forum look like a bunch of e-bully's, and really - implying violence against him in some of these posts by the tone and choice of words???

But the leap that some people made on this thread is astounding... Comparing to people who PROFIT from bootlegs, people who sell bootlegs, download illegal stuff... Come on!
I mean.. you can find videos on youtube from EVERY BAND, no exception... From most shows of every band!
I think it's great.. I upload videos myself, I love watching videos that other people post... And I NEVER hide while video taping on my crappy digital camera

I really don't see the harm in uploading videos on youtube (and Again, he SHOULD NOT DO IT because it was against the rules).. But all the name calling, comparasions to people who profit from bootlegs and over 100 responses on a thread is bit of an over-reaction, IMO.

Eh, you and several others seem to be missing the cost. If bands and labels believe that it will either eat into live album/dvd sales, or might portray the bands poorly in general, then they have a right, under the law, to prevent it (and demand it for places that they play). Lots of shows will have security pat you down and not allow any photography. But not only is that less friendly than current policy, it's also more expensive.

Don't you think that these people are going to cost everyone more on the ticket prices in the long run?

Besides, just because you haven't yet seen someone sell one of these bootlegs doesn't mean they aren't being sold, or that it wasn't the intention. That's a display of an awful lot of faith you have in someone who is obviously a liar. The attacks by others on this guy seem to be partially based on his "do anything to get away with it" approach.

Exactly, and that sort of thing has been going on for easily ten years now, even before all the social networking sites existed. And it's sad, IMO; hope it makes them feel really important, to screw over the musicians they claim to be supporting just so they can have their moment in the sun.

angry-smiley-023.gif
angry-smiley-038.gif
angry-smiley-001.gif
angry-smiley-052.gif
angry-smiley-019.gif
angry-smiley-002.gif

Angry smiley parade = fantastic! =D

It's disappointing but not surprising. What the guy did was wrong but the leader spoke and his followers are just appeasing him. Fair enough. This will blow over but there is an ugliness that has presented itself.

The situation could have been handled better but I appreciate the frustration which led to to initial post and thread title.

I honestly had to chuckle at the pompous absurdity of you calling me out.

I work my ass off year after year for this show. It's my passion. I WANT to enjoy my own show. I want to sit down and relax during the sets and enjoy my passion for music. I have been doing that with less frequency over the past years because I have to deal with people who disrespect me and break a simple rule that I have had in place for years.

One thing that people forget is that this is not a public forum nor is the festival a free public performance. This is my house and this is my festival. If you don't like what happens here in my house, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

I work my ass off year after year for this show. It's my passion. I WANT to enjoy my own show. I want to sit down and relax during the sets and enjoy my passion for music. I have been doing that with less frequency over the past years because I have to deal with people who disrespect me and break a simple rule that I have had in place for years.

One thing that people forget is that this is not a public forum nor is the festival a free public performance. This is my house and this is my festival. If you don't like what happens here in my house, don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out.

Couldn't agree more, especially since I work with Swordlord and I know what he goes through with every show, rarely able to actually enjoy the performances. This is YOUR festival, you supply the money, the blood, the sweat, and the tears. I don't think you have to justify yourself to anyone, at any time, for your decisions. You know what in the hell you are doing and have proven it time and time again. Keep doing exactly what you are doing, you'll never hear me complain. (Unless you book too much prog, :lol::lol::loco::loco:)

Perfect answer. Loved it! Follow the rules or get the fuck out. What is the difficulty in understanding this concept?

Fair enough. :)

and as long as Glenn has people working for him who also have this passion, we will continue to bust out the bootleggers.

FWIW, we aren't mindless minions "following the leader" - we play by the rules to enjoy that which Glenn busts his ass to put together for us...and we expect that others follow the same set of rules.

it isn't that difficult - Glenn's show, Glenn's rules...because Glenn rules :) see? easy

It's amazing what one misses when one takes a break from this forum. This is an absolute shame. Bootlegging is exactly what this scene doesn't need. All language barriers and lack of reading on this forum aside, Leonel was wrong for what he did. Being an attendee of this show for more than one year, he had to know that any sort of bootlegging is not allowed at this show. I had received a business card from this guy after Primal Fear's set, and I was told that Leonel would like to conduct an interview with Katagory V for his website. Now that I've read this thread, you can be certain that we won't ever be in touch with him. I can only imagine how our words would end up being twisted.

That said, I started thinking about the camera/video policy, and it dawned on me that I've never seen anything posted about it on the actual website. Though I don't expect it to stop all bootlegging, it might be a good idea to make that policy more viewable to everyone who visits the site. After all, the good majority of the festival's attendees don't post on the forum. Who knows it they even look at it?

Stay metal. Never rust.
Albert

I think that's a good idea, Al. Especially since people seem to miss that there are signs up ON ALL OF THE DOORS that say "no cameras!" It can't hurt to have it up one more place.

LMAO, this reminds me of the bagel shop I used to work in, the manager was cleaning out the bagel bins. A woman went off on him for not having signs up for which bagel was in the bin. He informed her that it was pointless since no one read them. Shortly after, she came back asking which milk container had the skim milk. He told her the one that said 'skim milk' and thanked her for proving his earlier point.

I have to say something.... I was the one who had this douche thrown out Thursday, and then I see that he continued to record after. When i busted him ( thanks JAX) His battery on his digital conveniently was dead, and he made every denial in the book.

I know your face, I know your name, I saw your driver's liscence. I have you bookmarked. I promise you this, you will never be at one of these shows again. You are DAMN lucky I didn't catch you a second time.

And also to the 2 a-holes that were working in tandem with the audio recorders. I wouldn't show your face around anytime soon either. You don't wanna piss Wayne off again. Me either. And Terminator knows you as well. And you pissed him off which is a BAD idea.

Rant off...

Shane

SHIT HEAD - YOU BROKE THE RULES. SIMPLE. HOPE YOU GET CAUGHT AGAIN

Next year, if i come across one of theses f$$kers, i´m NOT gonna be nice. The first guy was QUICK with the delete. 2nd guy not so much, but boy did he argue. Stupid bastard thought about swinging on me for about half a second which would have been his last act as a person who could walk w7out assistance, and be able to wipe his own ass.

Jdub- thanks for picking up my slack stage let while I was dealing with them..

I once again tried to look for bootleggers this year and once again did not see any. The only people I saw, I quickly realized were the "official" video or photography guys. I did see a number of people taking photos with iPhones and other digital devices, but that was clearly not audio or video, just photos. I guess a big part of it is that I'm in the floor area for all the performances, and I'm usually reasonably far up towards the front. So I'm guessing the people trying to bootleg are usually in the seated area? I've only seen a small number of people try to take video from the floor, and none in the last few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.